Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
just looking for  reassurance >

just looking for reassurance

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

just looking for reassurance

Old 09-26-2002, 07:42 AM

Default just looking for reassurance

i sent these questions and information to the q&a but they never got answered. so i will try to get help here. i will be bowhuntng nort central ny (Tughill region) next week. for those who dont know, this is state land consisting of about 11,000 acres, and doesnt get alot of archery pressure. me dilema is this, i went up there about 2 onths ago to scout for a stand site, only had a little time but this is what i found. its all woodlands, no farm feilds for overnight deer feeding. i found astand site that consists of about 15 apple trees among a 1/2 acre of wild strawberries(only patch i could find in some distance). im worried about spooking deer on the way into my stand before first light, i plan on getting there at least 1 1/2 hrs before first light. another concren i have isabout the bear population and the berries that i hve found? the bedding area(a guess)that i think they will be using is about 300-400 yds downhill oof my stand location. even though i do not know the travel patterns of the deer
there real well, i would think give the description on my spot , that i have found a decent stand, i just dont wanna get over confident until i here other peoples opinions on this. oh yes--2 more bits of information it is about 800 yds or so from the nearest rd,which is a one lane dirt rd that is atleast 3-4 miles from a paved rd, andthis "patch" of apple trees and berries is located just off(like 5 yds)of a grown over logging trail. any help would be great--sorry it is so long

Vegatarian- word of native american decsent, meaning "lousy hunter"
Old 09-26-2002, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: just looking for reassurance

I've read your post twice and can't quite figure out what your question is. If you are wondering if this is a good stand location it sounds like it but it may take a few trips to figure out how the deer are moving. I have a suggestion: The first time that you go there why don't you stay on the ground a still hunt and scout the area out a little better. You may find another place that is even better than this one.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Like gutshot said it sounds like a good spot, If you think the bears are around you mite get some bear spray and take it with you.

Old 09-26-2002, 10:36 AM

I'm with Gutshot, I'd stillhut it till you get a better feal for the area, as far as the bears I wouldnt worry too much,they'll just run from you like any other wild animal.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

For your first trip or two, just set-up as best you can and see how the deer travel through the woods. Some evening approaches may work best for you since you'll be better able to see where you're going, see new sign-or sign you missed last time, you are less likely to spook deer than in the dark, and you can set up near the apples which deer will be more likely to approach in the evening than they will after feeding all night. And, it they were feeding then, your approach would spook them. Just my thoughts.

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:28 AM

well i can see where ya'll are comin from and understand it well. we are goin up sunday to hang our stands, and goin back thursday evening to hunt friday,saturday,sunday. we will be taking the camper up and parking remotely-you honestly think that if i spook deer walking in almost 2hour before daylight that they wont come back soon? im up there for 3 days and dont wanna miss a minute of huntin time, but still dont wanna sabatoge myself--its a 2 hour drive is why we are staying all weekend. i know my information is vague, or maybe im just worrying to much about nothing. thanks guys