Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Luckiest shot?

Old 08-09-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Luckiest shot?

Whats your luckiest shot make on an animal that resulted in a kill. Im not talkin about taking risky shots that turned out good. But shots that didn't go where you were aiming but still took the animal down quick, Spine shots don't count.

Mine would have to be on a doe i shot 2 years ago. The whole hunt was lucky in a way. lol. My budy was late picking me up so we were about 40 min late getting in our stands. I was overlookin some trails that go from an overgrown field where the deer bed alot and into soem thinkets leading to a greenfield. I got into my stand at 330 and at 415 i looked to my right and there was a doe and anotehr deer i could see well. at 30 yards. Well while turning to get a shot as this isnt' where we expected deer to come from i nocked the arrow off my rest and when i put it back on she heard that and looked up at me and i froze, finally after a few she was convinced there wasn't anythign there and she went back to eating. I got turned drew anchored and placed the pin tight to her front shoulder and held it a min as to get a nice clear shot as she was walking through brush. Well i released and the arrow disapeard way far back "i had pulled the shot bad" It hit just infront of her hip and that wasn't were i had aimed i know for a fact. Well she ran off and i just sat down thiking it was gonna be a long night and a hard track the next day. Not long after the shot i heard a crash and figured she had layed down. Well at dark i went and got my buddy and we went to find my arrow and confirm the hit. Well the arrow only had one feather with blood and it stunk so it was as i suspected. But with me hearing the crash i wanted to follow the trail for a min and see what there was but not far as to keep from pushiing her. Well not 5 yards from my arrow we find the first blood and its a TON of it sprayed on bushed and everything so we decided to follow and take the risk. 30 yards later of blood everywhere we find her stone cold. Thank goodness to my spitfire 100s as they allowed my arrow to cut both arteries headed down the back legs. I was very lucky to hit those with the pulled shot and not just hitting stomach.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Luckiest shot?

Mine was several years ago. I was out stump shooting with my longbow and a few arrows with judo points and rubber blunts. Heading back to the truck just at sundown, there was a clump of grass about 80 yards up ahead. The shadows kinda looked like a bird standing there, and it seemed a worthy target to try for, so I let fly with a blunt.

The wind was coming strong from the right, about 20-25 mph, so I aimed about 15 feet to the right and launched. The arrow went up, the wind caught it and started blowing it left at the top of it's trajectory and it began a sweet double axis arc, heading right at the clump of grass I was shooting for. Couldn't have been more perfect!

FOOMP! A cloud of feathers erupted from the bird-looking clump of grass.[:-]

I'd seen a whole lot of doves that day and this was a full 6 weeks after the close of dove season. I just knew I'd busted one and the game warden was going to swoop down upon me at any second.

It was a lucky shot that I hit what I was shooting at, considering the distance and wind. Even more lucky, it was quail season and that was what laying dead right behind that 'clump of grass.' It was the quail's shadow on thin screen of weeds that made it look like a clump of grass.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

A few years ago I was bowhunting a ridge in a military installation. I was facing the swamp at thebottom waiting for the deer to come out and feed in the oaks I was in. I haerdsome noise up behind me to my right. I turned to see what it was. It was a 6 pointer heading down the ridge. His path would put him by my stand at 23 yards. I got into position and waited. He made is way along the spine of the ridge and into my shooting lane. I stopped him and settled my pin on him and let it go. I watched as the arrow sailed right under his belly. He jumped up and over the ridge away from my. I couldn't believe I missed him. I listened and didn't hear him run off so I figured he just jumped over the side and was walking awy.I waited for a while and finally couldn't take it anymore. I have to see what happened and why I missed him. I got down and got my arrow and theere was only a couple of white belly hairs on it. I thought "How did I miss that shot". I decided to go down the finger and up the gut in the creek and see if I cna get up on him. As I was walking up the creek I was scanning the slopes of the ridge on both sides. I looked up the ridge towards where my stand was and saw something white in the trees. I eased my way up the ridge and when I got close enough I could see the under belly of a deer in a dead fall. I ease up to see what it was. As I got clesere I noticed it wasn't movint. I whistled and tried to get it up but nothing happened. I moved up to the dead fall and it was the buck I shot at laying dead in the tree. apparently when the buck jumped over the spine of the ridge it jumped right into the dead fall and broke it's neck. His head was facing in the opposite direction of his feet. Strangest thing I ever saw, a miss that resulted in a kill.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:24 AM

Mine wasn't as good as those, but it was a clean kill. I was hunting from a clump of johnson grass where the deer traveled through. I had several deer in the area, but I was watching a really tall 10 point. He made it to 35 yards broadside and I drew. He was facing to my right. I put the pin behind his shoulder and let it fly. Something happened and it hit square on the tip of his shoulder. He ran about 15 yards falling the entire way. He hit the ground and didnt move. Somehow the arrow went in the shoulder and nailed the vitals. It was the quickest bow kill I have ever had. He scored 116 7/8 P&Y.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same type of scenario as your really. Was bowhunting one day when I had two does walk past me on a nearby trail. I drew a bead on the last one just behind the shoulder and let fly. What I didn't see was a small branch between me and the deer and right in line with where I was shooting. The arrow deflected and hit her in the leg, cutting the femorhal (spelling?) artery. Blood sprayed everywhere and she died less than 30 yards from where she was hit.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:25 AM

a guy that i shoot archery with has a really bad shot with gun or bow. 2 yrs ago he was out bow hunting and had a doe walk by him at 15 yds. he is really bad at judging yardage. he shot and hit a tree, but it bounced off and hit the doe in the foot and killed it. how he killed it hitting it in the foot...i don't know. unless there is a mainartery in the foot. the deer dies within an hour.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not an archery shot, but anyway . . .

It was Thanksgiving Daymy last day to hunt in the WV rifle season, and I still had my extra buck tag. I had to be home at 2.

It was about the prettiest scene you ever saw - Sneaking along a rocky ledge overlooking a big rocky gorge. The snow was falling, the mountain laurelwasits usualbrilliant green, and the pine boughs were sagging with 2" of fresh wet snow. I was still-hunting abovea laurel thicket, when I caught a small buck watching me. Before I could get the gun up, he was off to the races. I could see flashes of brown going through the laurel against the snow, and I was following him in the scope. He was out at about 120 yards and I centered some brown in the scope and touched one off. The smoke cleared, and all went quiet.

I was sure I'd missed, but I found his tracks in the snow, so I followed. After about fifty yards of crawling/wiggling through the laurel, I came upon my buck, lying there steaming, with a hole the size of asoftball in his neck. Evidently, that bullet found its way throughover 100yards of tree branches, thicket, leaves, and vines and hit its mark on a dead-run. Total luck.

I pulled in at mom's house at 1:55, just as the dinner was coming out of the oven. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, not a bow shot...but still real lucky. It was my first year of rifle hunting, as in Michigan we are only allowed to rifle hunt after turning 14. It was the second week of the season and I was sitting in my blind, around 4:15. I was covered up in deer, around 20, all does except for a small little fork-horn. There were some does right in front of me and I looked up and there was nice 8 pointer that had just come in to check on the a couple doe. I of course got some real bad buck fever, butI still managed to get the gun up quietly and get it in the window sill and get the crosshairs right where they needed to be and pull the trigger....but nothing happened. In the panic of seeing the buck, I had forgot about the safety. I picked up my head up off the scope and flipped the safety, but as I did I got busted by a doe that was right on top of me. She let out a big blow, and I jumped from teh surprise and in doing that I pulled the trigger...and 8-pointer dropped in his tracks! I couldn't believe it...and few other people believe it either!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunting a few years back, had a nice 9 pt at bout 30 yrds. He winded me right as i released my arrow, and started to turn and run backwards. Since he was moving backwards, i watched as my arrow flew right in front of him. Thinking it was a complete miss, Istudied my arrow w/ the binoculars, i thought i saw some red but i was sure. So i got down to recover my arrow to find it covered in blood. While he jumped back, he didnt go far enough, the arrow went right through the jugular and he only made it bout 60 yrds. It was my luckiest shot.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 years ago on a 1 1/2 year old doe. Double lunged her at 30 yards and she went15 yards. When she got hit she took two steps and stood there looking around. I thought I might have missed but I saw the blood pouring out, she got wobbly and barely made it15 yards.

Quick Reply: Luckiest shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.