Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ordered the ASAT 3D Leafy Suit! >

Ordered the ASAT 3D Leafy Suit!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ordered the ASAT 3D Leafy Suit!

Old 08-07-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Ordered the ASAT 3D Leafy Suit!

When I first started looking at getting new camo that would effectively break up my sillouhette, I had my heart set on Predator. The problem was, I couldn't decide on which pattern to get. Sometimes I hunt in trees and sometimes I hunt on the ground. I also hunt different types of terrains and different times of the year. I went back and fourth between Fall Brown and Fall Grey for quite some time. Finally I decided to look in to the ASAT camo everyone raves about. Let me just say that the decision was much easier. One pattern for all seasons and all terrain. I also was attracted to the versatility of the suit. I can wear as much or as little as I like underneath. I'm sure at some point I'll pick up the Predator Fall Grey for hunting from my stand (it looks so good), but for now I'll stick with the ASAT.

-Rob
Old 08-08-2005, 02:33 AM

Default RE: Ordered the ASAT 3D Leafy Suit!

Let me know how that works for you, i'm still in limbo trying to figure out which cammo i want.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Spike

Default RE: Ordered the ASAT 3D Leafy Suit!

Hokie,

your experience sounds almost identical to mine. I got tired of getting "busted" in the darker "mainstream" camo's—and since I hunt both from stands, and on the ground (stalk)—I'm not always in the perfect alignment with a tree for the typical camo to conceal me at all times.

Like you, I was 50/50 with Predator and ASAT—and in the end, the ASAT won. The "deciding" factor was the versatility. I was tired of having to buy undergarments, rain gear, warm-weather gear and then cold weather gear on top of that. I had more camo than I could "reasonably" pack for my hunts—and after all of that, the "costs" were just ridiculous!

That's where the ASAT 3-D suit won. I can simply wear it over as much or as little as I want. It starts to rain, I just throw my existing raingear on "under" it—I don't have to go and buy "matching" pattern camo raingear! Same with cold weather gear—no need to buy ASAT pattern insulated gear—I just use what I already invested a small fortune in—and throw the ASAT suit over it.

When I considered the climates I hunt in—the Predator would have either required "suffering" in varying weather/temps—or investing yet another small fortune in "multiple" weight gear/items in matching Predator pattern.

So, for $135—I got true concealment that can be worn over the course of the entire year!

After "field testing" the suit myself—I was so convinced in it's superiority—I became a dealer. I've been using the ASAT to photograph deer on our property all Spring and Summer—and I've yet to get picked off!

The last time I was out, as I was walking back to my truck, I walked up on 4 doe's standing in one of our hay fields. I didn't even bother to try and "freeze" or slow down—and the ASAT broke up my silhouette so well—I still walked within 30 yards of them before they finally bolted. They stood there as I covered at least 40-50 yards "on the move" trying to figure out "what" that movement was! In the end, I still doubt they "knew" what they saw, but they knew it appeared to be "moving" towards them. They didn't even run until I had stopped. Then, as I moved on further, I saw two forkhorns ahead of me looking in my direction. Same thing—I walked to within 25 yards of them before they took off. They only ran a short distance, then stopped and looked back at me again.

That's the major difference I've noticed. Sitting still, I just don't see how a deer could pick you off, whether on the ground, or in a stand. I've yet to be spotted in the ASAT while "still"—and I've been within anywhere from 12-60 yards of deer and coyotes while wearing it!

The biggest thing for me is the last example. Typically, if those deer saw some 6 foot object walking toward them from 80-90 yards—they'd break their necks trying to get away.

The thing I realize about the ASAT now is that it does in fact break your form up to a point where even if you're moving—a deer can't quite make out what they're seeing. From what I've experienced, the ASAT just gives a hunter more "fudge room" for when we do make mistakes. On both the doe's, and the two forkhorns—I was able to close the distance enough to where I could have "possibly" stopped, drawn my bow and executed a shot within easy bow range!

I personally think it's just more versatile and more complete as a true concealment camo!