Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mythbusters Robin hood >

Mythbusters Robin hood

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mythbusters Robin hood

Old 08-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mythbusters Robin hood

How bout bamboo shafts , their grain would be even .
Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry Arthur. I only caught the end of it.

I nearly sent them an e-mail to tell them they coulda just bought a Hooter Shooter instead of building the contraption they put together.
You should Arthur. They would get a kick out of the knowledge base you could provide. I would love to see them "revisit" the "myth".
Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw it too.

They even said right in the episode that arrow 2 ALWAYS followed the grain of arrow 1. Why they wouldn't get one with an end-to-end grain, I don't know. It seems that would have had to work.

Also, they didn't have the greatest shooters attempting the stunt. Most of the time, they had groups that were several inches at less then 20 yards. They rarelyever got 2 to touch, much less achieve a split.

The traditonal archers at the Faire had no chance at all to do it since arrow 1 was just stabbed into the target by hand, and not at the proper angle to be parallel to other incoming arrows.

I do enjoy their show, but after seeing that episode I do have to wonder just how scientific their other experiments have been.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The traditonal archers at the Faire had no chance at all to do it since arrow 1 was just stabbed into the target by hand, and not at the proper angle to be parallel to other incoming arrows.
Exactly what I was thinking the whole time I was watching it.
Also, did you notice how hard they were pulling the release? It was moving their "robot" all over the place.
I'm curious why they did not have an expert archer on hand. I don't know his name but how about that guy who shoots asprins out of the air???
Old 08-04-2005, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7
I'm curious why they did not have an expert archer on hand. I don't know his name but how about that guy who shoots asprins out of the air???
Thats an excellent idea HAZCON but I don't know if Byron Ferguson would be interested in doing it. It would be about as close to realism as possible with him using traditional equipment though. I have no doubt that he could Robin Hood an arrow.

Exactly what I was thinking the whole time I was watching it.
Also, did you notice how hard they were pulling the release? It was moving their "robot" all over the place.
Did you ever think that maybe they did these thinigs to get the results that they desired rather than true fact?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

There were a few things that caught my eye that made me wonder how hard were they really trying....
Did anyone else notice how under-spined some of their arrows were when they showed the arrow-flight from the target's point of view? They must have had three or four different arrow types/sizes. And, if they had a mechanical release to use with their robot, why didn't they use it when their 'archer' shot the bow? Plus, all the archers at the fair were using field points on their arrows. That pretty much reduces their chances of a full-length split to zero. I caught the grain-following-thought too.

I like the show, but sometimes ya gotta wonder...
Old 08-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its possible. Iv seen it.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:08 PM

I think that yall should send them emails and tell them how poorly they did the test
Old 08-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a link to the Discovery channel's Mythbusters info.
I couldn't quickly find an email address, but this link has a discussion forum for feedback in the middle of the page.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/talk/talk.html

Bowman, they sure seemed underspined to me. I wonder if they do that in slowmotion photagraphy just to emphasize the effect for dramatization.

...and I think getting Byron involved would be a great idea.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta say one more thing that I'm surprised hasn't come up yet.

LACK OF SAFETY!

After they switched to broadheads, and were trying to align arrow 2's tip up with arrow 1's nock, they were putting their hands directly in front of the broadhead on a drawn bow! Not only was it not a smart thing to do, but irresposible to show such carelessness on TV. They could have easily used pliers instead.

I know they have disclaimers about "don't try this at home", but people with only half a brain are going to try it and get their fingers lopped off.

Quick Reply: Mythbusters Robin hood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.