Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A word of caution. >

A word of caution.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A word of caution.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:33 PM

Default A word of caution.

I never thought it would happen to me, but it did.

For those of you who shoot with a D-Loop make sure that you check it every so often. I was out shooting today, and after about 30 or so shots it happened. I was at about half draw and WHAM, I hit myself in the face. The arrow sails off into the trees and I'm seeing stars. When I tied the loop, I didn't fray the ends enough when I burnt them and one end was small enough that it finally pulled through. Fortunately, because of the way I draw I only hit myself in the chin, but it was hard enough that I stumbled backwards a bit.

So, everyone make sure to check your loops once and awhile. You could put and eye out or something.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:57 PM

Default RE: A word of caution.

Between this incident and your bowstring breaking a couple of months ago, you've had a tough year so far. I'm glad that you're alright and let's keep our fingers crossed that you won't have any more bad events for a while!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, sounds like you've had a bad year. Thanks for the advice, I'll check mine from now on to make sure everything is A-OK.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:37 PM

I just got done shooting and didn't even look at mine. You can bet I will next time. Thanks
Old 07-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had that happen once. It will give you a quick wake up.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:08 PM

Similar situation happened to me 2 months ago. I was at a 3d shoot and on the 21st target I started to draw and ended up hitting myself in the mouth. I for some reason assumed that I did not close the release inside the loop but on it. SO I tried to shoot again and same result, this time I drew blood. My loop did not break it just wore down enough that the jaws would slip over it. Unfortunately that was not the worse part. I went to look for my arrows I found one, also for a hornets nest, I think final count was one lost arrow and 6 stings. Oh by the way this was my 1st shoot. Good times.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:01 PM

Had one of those metal loops and it buggered up my service on my string. That cost me a nice 130' 8 point, that btw my son took this buckthe last week of gun season, out of my stand! I drew and the arrow came off the string in full draw. Then later on another hunt, it happened again, only a split second before my release causing a dryfire, a broken fall away rest, bent cam, and a cable and string replacemant that cost 250.00. Whatever you do don't put one of these on your string! I was fortunate not to be injured!
Old 07-31-2005, 06:31 PM

After reading all of these replies, I think I'll remain "loopless".
Old 07-31-2005, 06:45 PM

I shoot with a loop and always wondered if it might fail someday. So far I've been lucky I guess. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll be checking it often I assure you.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: JimboHunter1

After reading all of these replies, I think I'll remain "loopless".
The advantages of shooting with a loop greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

Things happen, and this is less common than it probably seems. The only reason it happened to me was that I just didn't pay enough attention when I was tying the loop. I've tied at least 20 different loops for myself, friends, and family and this is the first time it's ever happened to any of us.

Does it make me any less confident shooting with one? Not at all. Five minutes and another loop later and I was back too shooting my bow. A half dozen shots later and I busted a nock off of one of my arrows at 45 yards.

I would suggest at least trying one out before you decide to not use one at all. You may be pleasantly suprised with the results.

Quick Reply: A word of caution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.