Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I finally found a spot to hunt! >

I finally found a spot to hunt!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I finally found a spot to hunt!

Old 07-30-2005, 03:44 PM

Default I finally found a spot to hunt!

After hours of hard work, I finally found a spot on my land to hunt. Well, it actually took me ten minutes to find the spot, butI spent several hours working on getting a piece of land ready for development! I was riding down a path on my land on my 4 wheeler, when I saw some freshly dug dirt. My dad had had a path bulldozed so he could let others see the land. I reached the end of the path and came across some thick brush. I walked for about ten minutes when I saw it. The spot has a few hundred small trees about ten feet tall, with thousands of ferns growing underneath the trees. There are a few big treeswhereI can put my stand. Now, I don't remember ever posting a thread without a questions, so here they are:

I am going to cut down most of the trees, so I can get a clear shot. I will try to get a picture of what it looks like with the trees on it. You will then realize why I am so excited to find a spot where i can get a good shot. I cannot get a good shot with the trees there, so I will cut them down. If I cut the trees down three months before the season, will it effect the deer? Should I clear out the ferns, or do they eat them? Thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 03:59 PM

Default RE: I finally found a spot to hunt!

It's always a good feeling when you find that perfect spot.As for the trees
I would only cut down enough for shooting lanes. If you cut too many they
may not feel as secure using the area. It may not matter about the ferns. The
ones we have here seem to die off anyway arounnd hunting time. We
may be able to tell more with a picture like you said. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2005, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: arrowslingr

It's always a good feeling when you find that perfect spot.
Yea it is. Did I mention that this spot has a 15 foot wide bull-dozedpath leading about 50 yards away from it? I like walking through the woods, but once you see this picture you will realize why I am so happy there is a path.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im guessing down in MS?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't be removing much fromyour standarea, especially if you feel mature bucks may be near that area now. Try to keep the clearing to a minimum unless your adding a food plot and you're going all out. I like the suggestion above with only cutting enough of the young trees to clear shooting lanes. Besides, IF you are convinced that the complete removal of the trees will be best, I would wait to cut them in the late season. This way, the deer can utilize the freshly cut trees as browse at a time of the season where food sources are less plentiful. Good luck with your project.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I cut the trees down three months before the season, will it effect the deer? Should I clear out the ferns, or do they eat them?
Yes, I would say that it probably would especially if you are talking about a substantial amount. As mentioned above I would do a minimal amount of "trimming" for shooting lanes and nothing more. The more you cut the greater the potential for the deer to take notice and change their patterns.

As for the ferns...I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about a deer eating them.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrads
Old 07-30-2005, 09:47 PM

Yes, this is down in MS. They are nothing like the woods I have been in up north. Down here you are lucky if you can walk twenty yards in the woods without having to find another route. It is that thick. I will try to take a few pictures soon to show you the difference in the normal MS woods versus the woods by my stand.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey zak, instead of cutting all the trees down why dont you just cut 2 or 3 lanes to where u can shoot?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those trees are why the deer are there as others have said. The fact that you have trees to hang a stand in is a plus. Like the others have said just cut some lanes and don't alter the light edges in there anymore than necessary or better yet set up between there and their food source. The issue is really 2 fold. Getting a shot and making it. Getting into thick stuff is hard to do with out spooking every deer in the woods. Getting a shot in thick stuff is not as hard as you would think. Most people only find out when they have to make the shot and it never dawns on them to practise it before hand. How small of a hole do you need? How close can you come to a twig? How much would leaves defelct your shot? Why wait to find out. You'll be suprise at how small a hole you really need and be confident when the time comes.

Quick Reply: I finally found a spot to hunt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.