Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Carbon or Aluminum >

Carbon or Aluminum

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon or Aluminum

Old 09-24-2002, 09:08 PM

Default Carbon or Aluminum

I have just gone from Aluminum to Carbon arrows and what a difference it makes. Having a bit of a problem with my arrow rest having to be so narrow. Arrows won't seem to stay put if my bow is pointing the slightest bit downwards. Am I actually gaining enough to warrant the extra hastle or is there an easy fix. Also before I changed to carbon I used to have my cock vain pointing down and got got groupings now I have it pointing up due to the narrow rest. what is the preferred direction. All the mags seem to show it up but the booklet that came with my bow (Reflex Teton) shows it pointing down.

Hhheeelllppp !!!

BTB
Old 09-24-2002, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Carbon or Aluminum

First off Boris, welcome to the forum. Now, for Aluminum vs Carbon, refer back a few pages and read up, also in the Tech forum, this/was being discussed hundreds of time......Also the <font color=blue>Search</font id=blue> tool upper/right corner of the page is great when it's working.

Now for the cock vane/feather up or down, doesn't matter except it is determined by the rest you use. As long as your not making fletch contact to any part of the bow or it's components, it doesn't matter what direction the vanes/feathers face. The key to good arrow flight is to get the arrow spining as soon as possible out of the bow so, once your arrow is on it's way, it doesn't matter the position of the cock fletch.....

Again, as long as your getting fletch clearance, up or down doesn't matter.

Also, Carbon vs Aluminum......both are great arrows.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 09-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boris, you may have the arms too close together. You want the arms to contact the arrow about 1/3 of the way up the shaft. You'll probably need to make other adjustments to the rest. Since the arrow is lighter you can lower the rest tension. Do your new arrows have helical vanes? If so, and your old arrows didn't, that'll present some tuning issues (rest clearance). I like the carbon arrows, and feel they're worth getting set up right.

Phil.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:58 PM

well said
Old 09-25-2002, 07:10 PM

I set the arms up as wide as possible without contact with the vains. Now if I set the arrow cock vain down I could open them up quite a bit more, hence the question about which way to set the cock vain, up or down. When I changed from Aluminum to Carbon all I did was set the rest arm gap and tweek my sight pins to compensate for the higher speed. Should I have done anything else. I have just got back into hunting in the last couple of years after a fairly long gap. Things have moved on quite a bit since I hunted in Ole England so any info will be much appreciated.

By the Way, Boris the bold was a cartoon in the 70's about a little Russian hunter. Don't know if you guys got it over here ???

BTB

X-Pat Brit Livin the good life in NC
Old 09-25-2002, 08:01 PM

about the rest...try givin a whisker biskit a try. i like mine, and the arrow cant fall off the rest
Old 09-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boris, sorry I didn't answer about vane orientation. I shoot cock vane down. Depending on the rest you have, you may also be able to extend the arms out a little to gain clearance. If you do this you may have to adjust nock point as well. When the NAP drop aways came out I tried one, and haven't looked back. The arms hold the arrow very well. They also provide plenty of clearance. Check out the 4000 if you get the chance.

Phil.