Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anyone who's used the sumit viper or a stand like it >

anyone who's used the sumit viper or a stand like it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anyone who's used the sumit viper or a stand like it

Old 07-29-2005, 08:49 PM

Default anyone who's used the sumit viper or a stand like it

I'm thinking ab out ordering the sumit viper x5 for archery this season, but i've never used a climbing stand before. my main concern is if that bar in the front of the stand gets in the way at all as far as the bow hitting it. also i was wondering if there is enough room between the bar in the front and the seat to stand up for the shot or do you just shoot sitting down? the only kind of tree stands i've used is a simple bench latter seat and a fixed stand that just consisted of a platform and a seat. thanks for the help, q.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:58 PM

Default RE: anyone who's used the sumit viper or a stand like it

I have a Goliath..........which is basically a bigger viper. I love my front rail. I set my bow across it and if a shot chance comes along I just pick up and am ready to go........very little movement needed. I don't like shooting sitting down so I have only shot from a standing position in mine. The rail has never gotten in my way. I set the seat section lower for archery and higher for gun.

I love my summit stand. I highly doubt you will be disappointed.

I will tell you though that I am 5' 9" and a solid 195lbs and I don't feel like I have a ton of extra room in the Goliath. They say it is made for "larger" hunters but I think I fit in it just fine and my waist is only 33"

I really like the look of the outward curved front bar on the new Summit 180.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had my Viper for 5 or 6 years now. use it for both bow and rifle seasons. Works great, quiet, easy set up. Sometimes I use only the top seat portion next to the ground, makes a great comfortable ground set up. I'd recommend it to anyone. goodluck
Old 07-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Only in the most extreme of shot angles would you have a problem with the bar...and then you probably shouldn't be taking the shot anyway.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:37 AM

Have to agree with all the above, While I have not used a Summit stand. I have over the years run through quite a few different styles and types of stands. From ladders to Fixed position, to climbing, usually changing due to where I am hunting. Having spent 20 years in the military and having to move 10 times to different states and area's. I have hunted a wide variety of terrain and just had a need for different type stands ( or this may just have been a good excuse to get another one. ) I have had stands that are open front for archery and closed with the bar, as you speak of. I found that the bar across the front has in no way hindered a good shot. I do not hang my bow when up in a tree, as a matter of fact once settled in, I do not take my hand off my bow as I use a wrist strap and keep it rather snug. So having the rail makes it nicer to lay the bow on while sitting and waiting. It also makes me feel more secure in the stand as I get older. One other note, It may just be age that is catching up with me. But I have found that I am much more comfortable and less apt to fidiget with a stand that has a raised foot rest. But that is just me. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree the bar may get in the way from time to time, but it also has helped me many many times by allowing me to rest my bow limb on it while I waited for an animal to get close for a shot. The extra comfort and security if provides far out weights anything negitives it may have, in my opinion anyway. Summit stands in general are the most comfortable, safe and secure stands I have ever used.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:28 AM

Yep, what everyone has said so far. Go with the Goliath though. The extra room makes all the difference.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:55 AM

I love the viper. I've been hunting out of one for five years now, and when it gets time to buy another stand, it will be another viper. As far the rail getting in the way, just sit with the rail about level with your knees and you shouldn't have any problems. I've made several shots almost straight down and it's never gotten in the way. It's notTHE most comfortable way to sit in it, but it does eliminate that problem. Summit makes the best treestands on the market.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, I just PM'd you! The Viper (heck ALL of the Summit stands) have an adjustable seat cushion, so you can raise the seat for bowhunting - that way the front bar doesn't get in the way. For rifle hunting, you can lower the seat and possibly use the front bar as a gun rest.

I love my Viper X4.... It is the most incredible, lightweight, quietest, easiest to setup, type of stand I have owned!
Old 07-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get it!!! Customer service is awesome as well WillWoller, is a terrific guy and he will take care of all your needs, great company. Thats all i own in my deer stands is summit.

Here is the Viper in action baby! I love my rails and all i do is bow hunt!

Quick Reply: anyone who's used the sumit viper or a stand like it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.