Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Am I a bad deer hunter? >

Am I a bad deer hunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I a bad deer hunter?

Old 09-24-2002, 11:18 AM

Default Am I a bad deer hunter?

I have been going out everyday in the evening since the season started Sept. 16th and I still haven't seen anything. I heard 2 does, and I *think* I may have heard another deer or 2.

A good friend has been out twice, he got a doe the first time and chose not to take a doe the second time. In total he has seen about 8 deer in this 2 trips out.

He has had the luxury of getting to his stand earlier then me by about 2 hours but I have logged way more tree time.

I wish I could at least see some deer, even if they are out of range just so I can get a feel for controlling buck fever, and how they move through the area.

Now I certainly don't want them lining up broadside all day long so I can slaughter them, but I would love to see a little action to prep me for the deer that gives up a nice shot.

I am guessing you guys will tell me it is still early and to just wait but I guess I'm just worried that I might be over hunting an area, or making some rookie mistake.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2002, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Am I a bad deer hunter?

There's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many variables that could be affecting this . . . The only one you mention is that your buddy got to his stand 2 hours earlier than you--are you heading in too late and bumping deer on the way? How about staying as scent-free as possible and downwind? Do you fidget around while on stand...or make noise? Have the deer "caught-on" where you're hunting and avoiding it now? (very likely) Are you hunting areas the deer don't use much?

It's hard to say from what we know . . .

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:51 AM

Are you using the same stand every day - if so there is your reason. Hunting the same stand or area every day is a sure fire way not to see deer.

Two hours in the right location is better than 20 hours in the wrong location.

How far are you from the beddng area? Too far I asume.

How about food sources ? Are you close to one?
Old 09-24-2002, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

How much time did you spend scouting the area?
Old 09-24-2002, 12:03 PM

I get into ruts like that now and again. I hunt mostly private farms and sometimes it seems like the deer have just completely disappeared never to show up again. I've had times where I hunted for days and only seen 1 or 2 deer that entire time. In my hunting lifetime, I've very rarely seen a Pope&Young sized buck...maybe once, twice max. I think you'll find out that this is pretty common. Nobody ever said deer hunting was a "walk in the park"!

However, there's a couple of things you might be doing wrong...

1) Are you paying close attention to the wind? Especially as you go to your stand? You might as well forget ever seeing deer if the wind is blowing your scent right into the areas you expect them to come from.

2) Are you doing everything possible to reduce your own scent? Wash your clothes in scent-free detergeant. Let them air dry. Store the clothes in rubbermaid containers with some leaves/branches from your hunting area. Only wear em while hunting. Make sure your boots, packs, weapons, stands are all as scent free as possible. Use some of the scent killer sprays or cover scent sprays. Some people go so far as to use the Scent-lok suits and claim they work well.

3) Are you sure your setup along a good trail or in a good funnel that you know the deer use? Look around for food sources and find trails going to and from the food sources. Look for heavy tracks along creek banks indicating a well-used crossing point. Check ridges on hillsides since deer seem to love these spots. Check woodlot points and inside corners along crop fields. Those are always great spots. For all these, make sure you can approach the stand site quietly and with the wind in your favor.

4) One thing that I need to keep trying to improve apon is: realize that your hunting the minute you step away from the truck and head to your stand, vice versa. I've busted deer going in and out from my stands several times. Had I been paying attention rather than rushing, I might have actually had a chance to harvest those deer.

If you've done all the above and are positive that you have a good stand location, the only thing you can do now is be patient. They'll show up when you least expect it. It's hard to explain but you will KNOW the day your going to take a deer. You'll just have a weird "psychic feeling" throughout that day.

-Mike

Old 09-24-2002, 12:40 PM

Ok, here are all the details.

Scent:

I wash my close in no scent hunting soap and baking soda. I shower using no scent hunting soap. I use unscented deoderant. I spray all my cloths with scent killer.

Clothes:

Realtree hardwoods pants and long sleave shirt, net mask, camo hat, camo gloves.

By the time I get to my stand after my 1/3 mile walk I am sweating because it is hot out, I don't see how I can avoid this.

Wind:

I check the wind and it is usually in my favor but I am in a valley where the land basically slopes in from the east, west, and north. It isn't very windy where I am but I suppose some mini "tornados" might be created do to the hills on all sides but I'm not sure.

Land:

Picture this. If you are standing facing south you have to your east a hill starting right after my stand. To the west you have the swamp that I just crossed to get to my stand for about 150 yards and then a hill leading into a pine forest with little ground cover. To the north is the continuation of the swamp with houses about 1/3 of a mile away. It is a gradual upward slope to these house's to the north. To the south are multiple farm fields where tobacco and corn are grown. It is a small patch of corn.

Here is an arial photo.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...ls%2c+MA+01030

If you check out this photo you will notice a major stream coming down from the north, this stream goes to the west and the tree cover is that very thick green around it. This thick green area forms a "T" on the screen. I am hunting at the neck of the "T" right at the stream. *ALSO* I thought the deer would be coming from the south but they seem t be coming from the north and the east.

I have seen deer about 100-200 yards from my stand heading southeast but that is not my land to hunt.

Signs:

There is a deer trail leading into the swamp that I follow, this leads to a 10 yards clear area with 3 trails coming from this spot. I followed one of the trails across a stream to a wider opening about 3o yards in dia. right near a stream and the base of a hill near some white oaks.

Food:

There are acorns EVERYWHERE and corn fields about 1/4 mile away.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:51 PM

Oh yeah, I hunted on the edge of the swamp on Mon and Tue, went somewhere else Wed. moved my stand further in Thur but didn't hunt, I hunted there Fri. and Sat afternoon and took Sun and Monday off.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Well let's see if the pic works first...
Old 09-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Well let's see if the pic works first...<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Ah, there we go..

Hunt the red dots in the evenings, the blue in the AM assuming this is near where they bed. The green lines indicate what I see as travel corridors ( the light colored lines) and/or trails, assuming there are no cattle in the area. See the green line around the edge of the field? Most likely a good travel route used just before entering the field in the evening and in the morning when exiting. Look for funnel areas like the blue dot near the bend in the creek in the midst of your 'T'. Find trails there and get up a tree at least 20yds away.

When there is feed everywhere, hunt the white oaks first and use the funnels.

Edited by - cyclone on 09/24/2002 14:39:13
Old 09-24-2002, 01:51 PM

How far to the right (east) and bottom (south) in that picture can you hunt? That large open (corn?) field shows alot of promise. Especially on each side of the field level with that major stream. You can see some openings between hedge rows. Those would be good spots.

Almost exactly where the creek turns to the left (west) would be a good spot. It looks like there's a trail or a creek branch heading right towards that large field to the east. Also, the woods seem to be thicker on each side. That would create a good funnel.

Yet another place I'd check out would be where the wide patch of woods crosses the road in the upper left corner of the image. It looks like the only place where deer can get to the woods on the other side since any other place would mean passing through homes. I'd scout around there for well defined trails coming off the road. Follow those trails southward and pick a good ambush spot.

With acorns everywhere and some well defined trails, it sounds like you've got a heck of a spot. You might just need to make some fine tuned adjustments on your stand placement or the times you hunt.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Am I a bad deer hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.