Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads >

Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

Old 07-19-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

Does the spitfire mechanical broadheads get good penatration on deer with easy pass throughs?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

With correct shot placement you won't have any problems.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

They are one of the best mech's on the market, good penetration and fly great.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Site Bouncer

I really depends on your set up. Most modern bows today can produce enough energy (even with shorter draws) so that you can use mechanical heads with easy pass throughs.As far as the Spitfires, I have used them (two and three blade 100's) as well as fixed heads (Thunderhead 100's).I have found no difference in the two as far as penetration goes but it seems (to me at least) the mechanicals tend to produce more damage andmore blood loss than thefixed heads.

I will probably end up using mechanical heads all year this year, and only Spitfires. They have never let me down in either their function or performance. What else can you ask for?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:06 AM

The spitfires are great heads. Have been shooting them for several seasons now and wouldn't use any other head. They are very fast opening despite what some poeple say. I just went back through my hunting journal and checked on every deer i have taken with one. All deer taken the head was open when it went through the first side ribs. That was 16 deer. Penetration is also great with all but one being a passthrough. These deer were taken at ranges no longer than 35 yards. my setup is set at 69# shooting a 28.5 " beaman ics 400 shaft tipped with 100gr spitfire proseries out of my hoyt.

The only change im doing this year is im going to the spitfire xp's Best of luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:25 AM

BigJ12: the reason they seem to cause more damage is mainly due to the larger cutting diameter like the spitfires 1.5" cutting diameter. It leaves a huge hole in the deers side. It also twists due to the way the blades are put into the spitfire so it cuts even more tissue goign through resulting in more bloodloss. To be honest though i have only had to track one deer shot with a spitfire, the rest have fallen withiin site of my stand.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had all pass thrus since using them and the exit hole is like a 1/2 inch round.Last year I even had half of a lung hanging out of the exit hole.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used them but i havnt ever heard nothing bad about them... Except I think someone posted a while back about them not opening correctly on angling shots
Old 07-20-2005, 05:41 PM

I have had good luck with them as well. Most deer won't make it 50
yards with a good hit. Great blood trails.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pic of a angled shot with a spitfire.

Quick Reply: Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.