HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/105948-scent-lok-vs-antimicrobial.html)

mobow 07-18-2005 03:47 PM

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Well, as I am sure you all have seen, one of the newest rages in deer hunting is antimicrobial clothing. X Scent, Contain, EnduraSkin, that sort of thing. Add to that the new line of enzyme scent control soaps, ie, dead down wind, (www.deaddownwind.com).
I will admit the concept here is much more believable than odor adsorbing clothing. My question is this.

There is a lot of debate about whether odor adsorbing clothing works or not, but what do you think about antimicrobial. Just another gimik, or is this the real deal?

PABowhntr 07-18-2005 03:52 PM

RE: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

I just commented about it in another thread on this forum. I bought a set of antimicrobial undergarments from Cabelas last season. It was a store brand and "Tech Silk Weight" in design. I believe it works quite well. I cannot say that I saw more deer than ever before last year but I did see quite a few closeup and quite a few bucks at that. I was able to wear it as my sole undergarment until temps dropped into the low 30s overnight.

Great stuff and I do plan on buying another set for this season.

kevin1 07-18-2005 06:28 PM

I have a light jersey outfit for bow hunting that's Ab-Scent , and it does seem to work if you don't get real sweaty . The soap product that you probably used before your last hunt to descent yourself would have contained Triclosan , an extremely common antibacterial agent . Any reduction of your scent bloom that can be masked or eliminated improves your odds of seeing game , and that adds confidence .

DaveC 07-21-2005 06:59 AM

I like the antimicrobial idea a lot better than the grab any odor in the air until it's full scent lock idea.
I own and don't use a pair of scent locks because they always smelled like wet paint to me. WhenI did wear themI was always worried about what smells they had soaked up and when they were spent or not spent. Who really knew?

With the antimicrobial I can bathe in the earth scent antimicrobial soap (love it- smells like dirt!), put an earth scented disc in my camo box and the entire box of clothes smells like fresh dirt/mud (just like where I hunt). The antimicrobial can do it's job and I can still use a cover scent. This is the ticket for my style of hunting.

So farI have only purchased the shannon bug tamer 3-d with "contain", but when it comes time for new camo's, I know where I'll be spending my money.

bullcan 07-21-2005 11:34 AM

I bought the abscent a couple years ago and did this. I worked out and worked up a pretty good sweat so that I could smell myself. I put on the abscent and wore it for a few hours and could not smell myself at all, so I would say that it does work.

by23856 07-21-2005 03:19 PM

I've not bought anything but the socks yet but I, like yourself, see more credibility in antimicrobial X-Scent stuff than I do the absorbtion charcoal clothing. I hope to get the full outfit of X-Scent products before this season, especially the head gear. Hopefully I'll have a great success story to tell about it.

atlasman 07-21-2005 03:41 PM

Gimmick...........just like 99% of the products marketed to hunters.

BambiBlaster14 07-21-2005 07:07 PM

I have a stand location where it is not uncommon for me to see 10-12 deer a day, but I always have carbon spray on my clothing, when I 4get to put it on there is a noticeable drop in deer activity.

Mantis Mayer 07-26-2005 06:48 AM

TTT we need more talk on the subject of "Dead Down Wind" thebacteria killing (preventing)product. Link to there website. I feel the same as some stated above, it's easier to believe than the Scent Lok system.

I know it's new, buthas anyone bought thisstuff yet?I'm going to give it a try.

Chatter on...

Illini_Sportsman 07-26-2005 10:23 AM

Has everyone given up on Carbon Blast and White Lightning? That's whatI use and I've had some very close encounters with some completely unsuspecting does.

bullcan 07-26-2005 01:47 PM

No, I use the carbon blast with my abscent clothes. When I get out of my truck, I spray myself down with the carbon blast.

98Redline 07-26-2005 02:17 PM

The antimicrobial clothing does work.....and well at that.

2 weeks ago I went on vacation and climbed Mt. Whitney. 15hrs 9 min on the trail for the round trip to the summit and back. I wore just a regular Nike Dri-Fit top. My brother-in-law had a similar top with the antimicrobial fabric. After the climb, my shirt could have dragged itself to the laundry, but his barely smelled at all.

If after all of that sweating it was able to keep the stink to a minimum, I am sure it would work wonders in hunting clothes.

HuntElk4Fun 08-15-2005 11:03 PM

I know the military uses the XScent socks not for smell, but for the bacteria. One thing about the military, they generally only use things that work! I don't know what that means for scent, but they trust it to kill bacteria and get rid of sock rot, which directlyshould relate to stink too.

shed33 08-16-2005 12:54 AM

I will be field testing my new Xscent garments in 14 days! right underneath my Scent lok Liner... eat your heart out ATLAS!!!!!! :D:D:DI mean come on, do you really think everyone in the scent containment industry is a scam artist? :D:D:DThe oldest and largest buck I have ever killed came in from dead down wind...and I was very clean and prepaired for that scenario.

I will be glad to talk science with you too.. Regeneration of carbon clothing does not take high intense heats...YES reactivation does... but not regeneration...

Scent lok admitted they did their customers a disservice by phrasing their product as being reactivated. Instead they should have used regeneration. Deer and Deer hunting did a nice article on it in the June 2005 issue..

below is some ofwhat DR. SHULONG LI, and expert in carbon technology and textile applications had to say....

When carbon is used to filter or treat industrial waste it does in fact need to be reactivated at extreme high temperatures, yet when it is needed to remove less volatile substances such as human scent it only need be regenerated. During regenerationat temperatures under 130 degrees removalofsolvents, gasoline vapor, chloroform and methanol all which can be perged by activated carbon.

He goes on to say in Scent loks case... "washing and drying in a home dryer will certainly remove some of the absorbed materials and any of the odors."

There is a big difference between reactivation and regeneration.... and its application in the hunting world.

I personally don't believeany one thingcan totally mask our scent, but a total scent control approach including a carbon suit can help and often weaken our scent enough to allow deer to feel at ease......as ifthe scent is fruther away or not dangerous enough to be alarming to them....I have witnessed it over and over again while hunting, scouting/filming in the hot weather.. 90+ degree days when deer are dead down wind of me... Still playing the wind is key, but in mountains I hunt, thermals and wind currents NEVER play fair, like in the flatlands.....Plus come on, any smart buck is going to come in down wind of any call for the most part.. why not be a little more prepaired by being as clean as you can be, and minimizing as much scent as possible...

My philosophy is simple..A big mature bucks lives by HIS NOSE... NOSE NOSE...why not try to combat your scent in any way that has good science backing it.... test it and if it works..use it..if not..do a way with it..it cant hurt if it helps ...It may mean the difference between a slight foot stomp and then munch munch again...versus an all out SNORT and gone.......

peakrut 08-16-2005 04:01 AM

Read the following link:
http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_elimination_sprays.html

Peak

peakrut 08-16-2005 04:05 AM

From the same site part 1 to above, sorry
http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

Peak

shed33 08-16-2005 08:36 AM

Peak,

I have read that and its talking about REACTIVATION

"Dr. Shulong Li's wrote a response to Corrigan's article and pointed out some inaccuracies and contradictions in Corrigans rhetoric." (Deer and Deer hunting June 5th article.) Once again its NOT REACTIVATION THAT NEEDS TO TAKE PLACE only REGENERATION which Li's responses to Corrigan details.

Once again realize Corrigans premise is that in order for carbon to be reactivated it must reach temperatures of 800 degrees. Regeneration is much much lower, like that of the temperatures in a dryer.

JeramyK 08-16-2005 08:49 AM

I tried X-Scent's socks and really liked them. I now own the pants and shirt as well. If you don't believe their products work take their challenge and wear the socks for 4 days straight and see for yourself.

BigOrangeBowHntr 08-16-2005 09:10 AM

I ordered the enduraskin from Bass Pro and it caused a full blown anaphylactic reaction I dont know if it was the maybe the dye in the material. I am going to use the X- scent and be less itchy..

mobow 08-16-2005 01:49 PM

Do you have an allergy to silver? The liner in Endura Skin is silver ion, I believe. You need to get rid of it??

Illini_Sportsman 08-16-2005 04:00 PM

I sent an e-mail to fastestbows.com asking the columnist who wrote those aforementioned articles to give his thoughts on antimicrobial clothing. We already know he how feels about carbon.

HuntElk4Fun 08-17-2005 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: JeramyK

I tried X-Scent's socks and really liked them. I now own the pants and shirt as well. If you don't believe their products work take their challenge and wear the socks for 4 days straight and see for yourself.
I wore them for 2 weeks to test them out. My feet can really stink and they barely stunk at all. It made me buy more! Plus, I tried the same test with "normal" socks to compare. My wife forced me to throw them away after 10 days. They were stinky and I got some serious athlete's foot! [:@][:'(]

by23856 08-17-2005 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Illini_Sportsman

I sent an e-mail to fastestbows.com asking the columnist who wrote those aforementioned articles to give his thoughts on antimicrobial clothing. We already know he how feels about carbon.
He already has. It is on the Fastest Bow site as well. He reviews the X-Scent product line very favorably, and mentions the sock test, which he took himself, and also that the US Army is using the socks in Iraq to great effect.

atlasman 08-17-2005 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

I will be field testing my new Xscent garments in 14 days! right underneath my Scent lok Liner... eat your heart out ATLAS!!!!!! :D:D:D
Why would I care if you choose to throw your money away on a useless product? It is your money and your choice.

I mean come on, do you really think everyone in the scent containment industry is a scam artist? :D:D:D
I just look at the facts. The product they push CAN'T work the way they claim and they are making millions from people who believe it can. You can form your own conclusions.

The oldest and largest buck I have ever killed came in from dead down wind...and I was very clean and prepaired for that scenario.
Means absolutely nothing.........single random case studies are useless to evaluate a product. Too many variables to even count. Scientific studies are all done strictly regulated for a reason.

I will be glad to talk science with you too.. Regeneration of carbon clothing does not take high intense heats...YES reactivation does... but not regeneration...

Show me the science.........those 2 words are used synonimously in the industry. Don't believe me??......Do a google search on carbon regeneration.

below is some ofwhat DR. SHULONG LI, and expert in carbon technology and textile applications had to say....

When carbon is used to filter or treat industrial waste it does in fact need to be reactivated at extreme high temperatures, yet when it is needed to remove less volatile substances such as human scent it only need be regenerated. During regenerationat temperatures under 130 degrees removalofsolvents, gasoline vapor, chloroform and methanol all which can be perged by activated carbon.
Again........show me the science..........not someone's quote..........I have no idea who he is or who paid him to say that. Show me the documented science that says through a controlled study that human scent is removed from carbon in a dryer.

Not to mention that dryers go over 130.......and no human I know puts off gas vapors, chloroform or methanol vapors as BO (maybe a few boozers have some methanol in their BO)............so that is meaningless also.

He goes on to say in Scent loks case... "washing and drying in a home dryer will certainly remove some of the absorbed materials and any of the odors."
Show me the science.........not a guys opinion that can be bought. (Not saying it was).........but that it could be.

There is a big difference between reactivation and regeneration.... and its application in the hunting world.
Prove it.

I personally don't believeany one thingcan totally mask our scent, but a total scent control approach including a carbon suit can help and often weaken our scent enough to allow deer to feel at ease......as ifthe scent is fruther away or not dangerous enough to be alarming to them....I have witnessed it over and over again while hunting, scouting/filming in the hot weather.. 90+ degree days when deer are dead down wind of me... Still playing the wind is key, but in mountains I hunt, thermals and wind currents NEVER play fair, like in the flatlands.....Plus come on, any smart buck is going to come in down wind of any call for the most part.. why not be a little more prepaired by being as clean as you can be, and minimizing as much scent as possible...
A million guys can say the same thing and they never wear carbon...........sure your scent is important.........carbon suits don't help cover it though.

My philosophy is simple..A big mature bucks lives by HIS NOSE... NOSE NOSE...why not try to combat your scent in any way that has good science backing it
Good science backing it?? Please show us where it is.

test it and if it works..use it..if not..do a way with it..it cant hurt
So some guy spending $400 on a suit that doesn't work is not getting hurt?

if it helps ...It may mean the difference between a slight foot stomp and then munch munch again...versus an all out SNORT and gone......
I'm not much for the lottery mentality.

Justin 08-17-2005 07:45 PM

Enough arguing or this one's gonna go visit the other thread in the black abyss of HNI waste. Everyone can form their own opinions and do as they please when it comes to activated carbon, anti-microbial, or platnum-plated clothing and it shouldn't matter in the least bit to the next guy down the road.

mobow 08-17-2005 08:37 PM

Justin, just for the record, because I know of your goal to have me banned by December......( :D).......I started this thread well in advance of the scams thread.....Nice banner by the way....

shed33 08-17-2005 09:38 PM

Atlas have you ever harvested a mature buck with your bow. Prove it to me.

waiting....... lets play the prove itgame... yahoo.... :D:D:D

"yawns" I better get to bed... work comes early ...

stack 08-17-2005 10:15 PM

read an article about three people who dressed in scentlok and buried themselves in the snow to test the effectiveness. the search dogs found them as quickly as the would anyone else. ill look for it and let you all know where i found it.

atlasman 08-17-2005 10:53 PM

Atlas have you ever harvested a mature buck with your bow. Prove it to me.

waiting....... lets play the prove itgame... yahoo.... :D:D:D

"yawns" I better get to bed... work comes early ...
You first ;)

BOWFANATIC 08-18-2005 01:02 AM

Again........show me the science..........not someone's quote..........I have no idea who he is or who paid him to say that. Show me the documented science that says through a controlled study that human scent is removed from carbon in a dryer.

Not to mention that dryers go over 130.......and no human I know puts off gas vapors, chloroform or methanol vapors as BO (maybe a few boozers have some methanol in their BO)............so that is meaningless also.
How can you post quotes , or cut & paste different quotes , and then stick your nose up at someone who posts quotes contrary to yours?

Here's a very interesting read for anyone seeking a scientific view point.:eek:
http://aqes.cee.uiuc.edu/Publications/AQES/carbon/DimotakisEST1995.pdf

buckeye 08-18-2005 04:27 AM

I wear both. I bought the X-Scent last year at Cabelas when it first came out. Although I never did buy the socks.

It seemed to work great for me. I was never snorted at last season. Was I ever winded that I didn't know about?? That I cannot answer. I can also tell you I shot a mature buck directly down wind last year. Does that prove it works? No, but it proves he didn't smell me for what ever reason though.

But, I also agree with the if you don't start out with scent free showers with scent free deodrant and powders everytime out there is no point to use Scent Lok and X-Scent.

I also wear Gore-Tex (Cabela's MT050 Gore-Tex Scent Lok) and I do believeGore-Tex helps keep scent down as well in windy weather.

Without Gore-Tex the wind can and will cut right through your layers and blow your scent right through your clothes and all over the woods. Gore-Tex does not allow any wind to cut through and I believe really helps keep your scent down. And no I have no scientific study to prove this..

With the Gore-Tex, Scent Lok, X- Scent, Scent Killer spraysand strict scent free showering practicesI believe it really bumps the favorto you the hunterin the human scent game.

A little long winded but figured I would throw my thoughts and experiences out there ;)

atlasman 08-18-2005 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

How can you post quotes , or cut & paste different quotes , and then stick your nose up at someone who posts quotes contrary to yours?

Here's a very interesting read for anyone seeking a scientific view point.:eek:
http://aqes.cee.uiuc.edu/Publications/AQES/carbon/DimotakisEST1995.pdf

Contrary has nothing to do with it. I expect and enjoy other opinions........without them there wouldn't be much need for discussion now would there ;)

Asking if the quotes are from a controlled study or just random opinions is not sticking your nose up..........it's puts the quotes into proper context.

BTW.........your link doesn't work.

Justin 08-18-2005 08:41 AM

Put the lotion in the basket!

kevin1 08-18-2005 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Put the lotion in the basket!
"It puts the lotion in the basket ."
From "The Silence of the Lambs"

Get your quotes right , Justin . Don't make me argue with you ! ;):D

chazspot 08-18-2005 01:39 PM

I have to say, I agree with Atlas. If these things help; it isn't in significant proportions. What’s to say you go to all that trouble ($) and time, and yet something else on your person/equipment stinks? So much can be made up for with typical camo (Wal-Mart) and just washing it appropriately and drip drying. Same attention to detail with equipment. My stuff is kept apart from serious odors and is kept outside the night before the hunt. I have had huge bucks come in and I haven’t had any come in. Could be tough to do given some scenarios, (live in apartment complex, etc.)

With regards to scents, I do believe they work if used correctly, but you have to be diligent in knowing what works and what doesn’t. I have had them literally run into scent, and other days just stroll by. The camo is a different story to me.

There are too many variables to consider and you cannot compensate enough with money. I think the basics are a better course of action as opposed to spending hard earned money on these high-priced suits. But I will say there is some validity in gaining confidence from these products. Perhaps a hunter feels better in the stand knowing these steps have been taken. I just think in the end they are not necessary, but that’s me. Again, if it makes you feel better, then that could be sufficient reason to make the purchase.

shed33 08-18-2005 07:57 PM

Atlas, me first...sure no problem, proofs in the pudding bud! Public land whitetails all of them btw.... cougars, wolves bears... humans are the least of their worries... :Dand remember my state isnt known at all for big whitetails.. so consider my buck scores realitve to what the state produces..

1. lets just go year by year, when I first started wearing scent lok, and paying close attention to detail involving scent minimization.....hows that sound? fair enough.., 1998...

1998, 135 class buck 3.5 years old, 12 yards off the ground with his head on a licking branch

1999, 125 class 5x5 moch scrape, 15 yards. (have one of his sheds)

2000 134 inch 4x4 3.5 year old, have a set of his sheds, 25 yards wind in his face, rattle in on my mock scrape line...

2001 121 inch 4x4 had 10 different deer down wind of me including him that day. Grunted him up the hill to me. 10 yard shot. 1 shed from him...

2001 137 inch 5x5 Set my brother up on this buck in a big ravine he grunted him in dead down wind of him.. 12 yard shot right in his lap..

2002, 5x5 dead down wind of my brother rattled him in, 15 yard shot after this buck was tearing up a small sappling... 125 inch buck 240 lb body.

2002 124 inch 4x4 again deer under around my stand all day...shot him at 17 yards wind right in his face, and then the hawg comes by my stand at dark as I am guttingthe 4x4out 50 yards away where he died...you live and ya learn right :D

2003 made a vow, now more 120 class bucks.. 130 or better or no shots...

2003, Set up a stand for my brother to kill this 5x5 156 inch buck, 30 yards shot. Yup he wears it too. This buck came in directly down wind of him.

2003 145 inch 4x4 scrape line 35 yard shot. Cross wind. 2 sets of his sheds.. I knew him well..

2003 184 inch 8x9 7.5 years old came out of his bedding area, only about 150 yards from me... directly down wind of me right before last shooting light. 40 yard shot. I had sat there in my stand for 4 hours..waiting for him to get up out of bed..and the wind blew towards him pretty much the whole time.. (currently the #3 buck entered by a bow harvest in Idaho's bow catagory, non-typical) I have one of his sheds.. 83 inch gross 9x side

2005, 138 inch 5x5 6 yards cross wind following a doe. (sheds 1 of his)

I have pictures here of every buck do you really want me to load all these pictures ATLAS????

The above is nothing compared to the numerous encouters I have had up close, (bow close) with some real trophy class mature bucks for my geographical area while summer scouting and videoing. I have film of a 110, 120 (two of them) 130, 140, 150, and high 160 to 175 class bucks just last week.. and many of these bucks fed within 40 to 50 yards of me down wind..does too..half a dozen cow elk too..downwind at about 100 yards... NOW IS THIS all a coincidence or do IDAHO deer and elk just have bad NOSES???...

No wait I got it ..I know what it is..its that Deer DNA I had injected as a child..I smell like a deer... ATLAS...your right this scent lok gear is a hoax... :D:D:D

I am shed33 and I approve this nonsense... :D:D:D

BOWFANATIC 08-18-2005 08:29 PM

Atlas , the link is working fine for me. You need AcrobatReader to open it.

tocs 08-18-2005 09:00 PM

Let me see someone who consistently kills big deer in Idaho (not a mecca for huge bucks),I have seen the pictures.Someone who is bright and is educated in the sciences and who eats,sleeps and breathes whitetail deer,as much a student of whitetail deer from a hunting perspective as any one I am familiar with.I have said it before when Troy talks(aka shed33) those interested in being more successful on the taking of mature bucks would be wise to listen!!

takeakidhuntin 08-18-2005 10:10 PM

I would like to hear from ground hunters

You mention all the deer that came close to you but it sounds like you were in a tree stand.The main reason hunters use tree stands is so that their scent goes above the deer.

atlasman 08-18-2005 10:55 PM

Atlas, me first...sure no problem, proofs in the pudding bud! Public land whitetails all of them btw.... cougars, wolves bears... humans are the least of their worries... :Dand remember my state isnt known at all for big whitetails.. so consider my buck scores realitve to what the state produces..

1. lets just go year by year, when I first started wearing scent lok, and paying close attention to detail involving scent minimization.....hows that sound? fair enough.., 1998...

1998, 135 class buck 3.5 years old, 12 yards off the ground with his head on a licking branch

1999, 125 class 5x5 moch scrape, 15 yards. (have one of his sheds)

2000 134 inch 4x4 3.5 year old, have a set of his sheds, 25 yards wind in his face, rattle in on my mock scrape line...

2001 121 inch 4x4 had 10 different deer down wind of me including him that day. Grunted him up the hill to me. 10 yard shot. 1 shed from him...

2001 137 inch 5x5 Set my brother up on this buck in a big ravine he grunted him in dead down wind of him.. 12 yard shot right in his lap..

2002, 5x5 dead down wind of my brother rattled him in, 15 yard shot after this buck was tearing up a small sappling... 125 inch buck 240 lb body.

2002 124 inch 4x4 again deer under around my stand all day...shot him at 17 yards wind right in his face, and then the hawg comes by my stand at dark as I am guttingthe 4x4out 50 yards away where he died...you live and ya learn right :D

2003 made a vow, now more 120 class bucks.. 130 or better or no shots...

2003, Set up a stand for my brother to kill this 5x5 156 inch buck, 30 yards shot. Yup he wears it too. This buck came in directly down wind of him.

2003 145 inch 4x4 scrape line 35 yard shot. Cross wind. 2 sets of his sheds.. I knew him well..

2003 184 inch 8x9 7.5 years old came out of his bedding area, only about 150 yards from me... directly down wind of me right before last shooting light. 40 yard shot. I had sat there in my stand for 4 hours..waiting for him to get up out of bed..and the wind blew towards him pretty much the whole time.. (currently the #3 buck entered by a bow harvest in Idaho's bow catagory, non-typical) I have one of his sheds.. 83 inch gross 9x side

2005, 138 inch 5x5 6 yards cross wind following a doe. (sheds 1 of his)

I have pictures here of every buck do you really want me to load all these pictures ATLAS????

The above is nothing compared to the numerous encouters I have had up close, (bow close) with some real trophy class mature bucks for my geographical area while summer scouting and videoing. I have film of a 110, 120 (two of them) 130, 140, 150, and high 160 to 175 class bucks just last week.. and many of these bucks fed within 40 to 50 yards of me down wind..does too..half a dozen cow elk too..downwind at about 100 yards... NOW IS THIS all a coincidence or do IDAHO deer and elk just have bad NOSES???...

No wait I got it ..I know what it is..its that Deer DNA I had injected as a child..I smell like a deer... ATLAS...your right this scent lok gear is a hoax... :D:D:D

I am shed33 and I approve this nonsense... :D:D:D

That may go down as the all time lamest post on this board............and I stopped reading it 3 lines down.

I meant prove what you said earlier about carbon

I hope you didn't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back ;)

What would make you think I care even a little about something so silly??