Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow Length Question >

Arrow Length Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Length Question

Old 07-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow Length Question

I know this is a stupid question but if my draw length is 28.5 in.then I would use 28.5 in. arrows right??
Old 07-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Length Question

No, actually you would not. I don't remember all of the specific about it, but I know that your arrows will be longer than your draw length. I think draw length is measured from 1 1/2 inches behind the plunger hole (the hole for the rest) to the ancore point on the string. This part may not be right.Anyways if you were to cut an arrow to thislength, then your arrow would go past the rest and fall off. You will need an arrow longer than that so it won't fall off. How much longer, I do not know. Like I said I'm not sure on the specifics, but I know your arrows will need to be longer than your draw length. I'm sure someone on here can give you more specifics than this. Hope I helped out, even just a little bit.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:18 PM

I have 28 inch drawand have 28 inch arrow...
Old 07-17-2005, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Typically, I think you add an inch or so to your draw length so thata broadhead doesn't contact your bow or the rest when at full draw. I have a 29" draw length and shoot 30" arrows.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it all depends on your draw length, bow riser and arrow rest - and/or a combination of those.

I have a 30" draw and my Easton aluminum arrows are cut to 30 1/2". The field tips and broadheadscome close to the tip of the "prongs" of my TM Hunter rest, but with 1/2" ofarrow length left,they don't fall off.

Butch A.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Draw Length can be determined by a measurement known as 'wingspan.' This is simply a measurement and has nothing to do with how you actually draw back your bow.

How to measure your wingspan:

1) Lean against a wall, standing as close to the wall as possible with back flat.
2) Extend your arms and fingers out as far as possible
3) Have someone make a pencil mark at the end of both your fingers tips
4) Measure this distance

This is your wingspan. Find this number in the chart below to find its matching Draw Length. (For example, a wingspan of 67" would be a draw length of 26")

Wingspan Draw Length
(inches) (inches)

63 24
64 24 1/2
65 25
66 25 1/2

67-----------------------------------------------26
68 26 1/2
69 27
70 27 1/2
71 28
72 28 1/2
73 29
74 29 1/2
75 30
76 30 1/2
77 31
78 31 1/2

*** The Most Common Draw Length is 29 inches.

using the chart above my wing span is 67 1/2 which means my draw length is 26 1/2 my arrows are cut to 28" hope this helps. The archery pro wanted to cut them 28 1/4 but I told him to make them 28, easier to remember and saved 2.1 grains.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it all depends on your draw length, bow riser and arrow rest - and/or a combination of those.
You got that right ButchA
Best way to determine your correct arrow length is to have someone mark the arrow about 1 inch in front of riser when at full draw.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:37 AM

Actually in order to use the easton arrow charts and others you would use an arrow shorter than your draw length, not longer. Your amo arrow length with a newer bow would be about one inch shorter than your draw length (3/4" actually). Download eastons tuning guide and it will show how to check it I think.

You will notice that thy don't ask what your draw length is, just your arrow length. They assume you are using a proper length arrow. Which is one inch past the contact point of your rest. And your rest is suposed to be set up with that contact point right above your grip. If it is farther back and you shoot a shorter arrow you have to tell it you are using an overdraw and how much. There is no provision for using an arrow longer than what it calls for.

Can you use a longer arrow? Sure you can, you just have to compensate for it is all. Normally one inch will not make a huge difference. It is pretty common for people to shoot the same length arrow as thier draw, like you stated 28.5 inch draw, 28.5 inch arrow. It just makes it easier to remember. However I would just make it 28 inches even so it was easier. Remember though when you shoot a longer arrow it will be weaker in spine.

Older bows didn't have cut out risers or larger arrow shelfs so the arrow had to stick out past the riser in order to have clearance and be safe. The newer bows have larger shelfs and cut out risers so you can use a shorter arrow. And the charts have been adjusted accordingly.

The best thing to do is use some sort of arrow software to pick your arrows to begin with. That way you can use any length arrow with any draw length and it will figure the correct arrow and point weight for you. You can shoot a full length arrow if you want to. You will just have to play around to get the right spine and they will be heavier than they need to be.

Paul
Old 07-17-2005, 03:30 PM

Paul has many good points. I just thought I would muddy up the water a bit.

Many of todays rests actually mount behind the riser or grip of the bow, in essence being an overdraw. Examples being the ever-popular Whisker Bisuit and Muzzy Zero Effect. Because of this, you can shoot arrows that are shorter than your draw length, given that your riser cut-out will allow this. Both the NAP Quick Tune 4000 and my current QAD Ultra Rest mount about an inch behind the riser. My draw length is 28" yet I shoot 27" long arrows. The end of the arrow shaft is about an inch in front of my rest and the field point or broadhead is in the middle of the riser. Most newer bows will allow you to do this because of the larger cutout in the riser. If you're using a fixed broadhead with a large cutting diameter, you may not be able to do this because of clearance problems.

There are two benefits to being able to shoot shorter arrows.
1 - The shorter length will increase the spine of the arrow allowing you to shoot lighter arrows.
2 - The lighter weight will increase arrow speed.

It used to be common for people to have their arrows extend to the front of or an inch beyond the riser. Two examples quickly come to mind.
1 - Not enough clearance. Risers did not have large, cut-out windows. Their was generally just enough room for the shaft and fletching to get by.
2 - Safety. There were not a lot of full containment rests before a few years ago. Nobody really wanted a broadhead tipped arrow mounted behind their hand. The possibility of it falling off and going through your arm wasn't very appealing.

To answer your original question, the length of your arrow depends on your personal setup. The arrow could be longer, shorter or 28.5 inches. Get your bow setup the way you want it and then go to your local pro-shop to have them measure some arrows for you.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:54 PM

i have a 30" cam and shoot 28 1/4" arrows

Quick Reply: Arrow Length Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.