Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Severe drought N Illinois? >

Severe drought N Illinois?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Severe drought N Illinois?

Old 07-15-2005, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Severe drought N Illinois?

Just wondering what you all thought about this.How will this drought effect deer feeding patterns this season?With little or no corn and soybeans,what will the deer forage on most?Also how does the drought effect oaks producing acorns.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Severe drought N Illinois?

They will be looking for water sounds like your job is easier. They will be fine. Just natures way of doing what needs to be done. The hardship on the farmers is another storie.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your having drought problems and we are having rain problemshurricans that is and tropical storms. We are having flooding problems in places its not supposed flood? Itsflooded everywhere around here in GA..heck last sat it rained over 10inchs in one night! A local forddealership not far from here lost over 50 new trucks and cars due to flooding . And it has rained every day sence.I know of one stand of mine as of right now is under about 8 feet of water[:'(]We need a brake down here! Just maby some of this rain will move your way and help you guys out up there.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: drstalker

Just wondering what you all thought about this.How will this drought effect deer feeding patterns this season?With little or no corn and soybeans,what will the deer forage on most?Also how does the drought effect oaks producing acorns.
i dont know what corn/beans your looking at but in Northwestern Illinois the Corn is about 4-5 feet tall, and the Beans are right around 1.5' tall and all is looking green as ever.

i am not doubting we have a droubt but it depends on what kind of irragation the farms have... most of the farms around here use the rivers and deep wells.

i dont personally think its gonna have that big of an effect on the herds
Old 07-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is a drought here in my area...but 8 miles north of here they have gotten more than 3 times the rain we have. My yard is brown and is not growing and theirs is green and has to be mowed every week!

The rain around here is usually pretty spotty.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:26 PM

The situation is the same here in Windsor, ON and across the river in Detroit, MI. We've had well under half of the rain we're supposed to get, and what little rain we do get is spotty at best. We usually get a good soaking rain when a hurricane roars up through the Gulf, but there've been two now this year, and we've gotten almost nothing in rain. The ground is so hard you just can't believe it.

Around our place, all the ditches have been dry for months now. I've been putting out a bucket of fresh water every day along with a little treat of corn. And, while the deer were slow to start, are they ever drinking it down now. I think the word is getting out in the deer community about my little watering hole!

Old 07-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: daystalker

ORIGINAL: drstalker

i dont know what corn/beans your looking at but in Northwestern Illinois the Corn is about 4-5 feet tall, and the Beans are right around 1.5' tall and all is looking green as ever.

i am not doubting we have a droubt but it depends on what kind of irragation the farms have... most of the farms around here use the rivers and deep wells.

i dont personally think its gonna have that big of an effect on the herds
Daystalker, here in northeast Il it's dry as a bone I live in the Fox valley,And would bet the big reason that our rains dry up is all of the new growth and development.If you ever watch the weather channel you can see storms and fronts coming then when they get just east of rout 47 they dissipate.Years ago this wouldn't happen.All this pavement and vehicle emissions I believe is the reason.The air and ground can't hold moisture enough for rain to happen.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:34 PM

drstalker, where is the Fox valley? What town are you in?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you ever watch the weather channel you can see storms and fronts coming then when they get just east of rout 47 they dissipate
We've noticed that, too. Except with the Illinois River. It seems like once it hits that, it just dissappears.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

A friend of mine in Ogle Co. Illinois has corn and beans on his property and it is growing tall and looks good from a distance. The problem is the corn huskwill not develop they will be dwarfed from lack of rain.

Quick Reply: Severe drought N Illinois?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.