Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I want to do the right thing >

I want to do the right thing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I want to do the right thing

Old 07-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I want to do the right thing

Hi folks,
I will be new to bow hunting this coming fall season. I bought a bow, set it up and have been practicing since around April and will continue to do so until season.
Last year I was new to gun hunting, learned a lot and had a great season.
I want to do the right thing during bow season and being new I dont want to do something that etiquette wise should not be done.
I'd hate to bepissinpeople off just because I'm anew bowhunter and didn't know any better.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 07-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I want to do the right thing

Pass up everything under 160 class.

Good luck this year. I went bow and never went back.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:47 AM

I guess the first thing is to be proficient with your weapon and to know both your limitations as well as those of you bow. Knowing the anatomy of a deer will help you to determine what shots you should take and which you should avoid (ethically speaking)

If you're hunting private land you can do about anything you want. If you're hunting crowded public land it's best to get in early. if you're walking in and see lights flashing at you from high in a tree it's best to move on as the spot is occupied. This is not required but is good etiquette.
These are just a couple. I'm sure others will elaborate.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

And never shoot a deer the rest of your life.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse
Fieldmouse, you're funny.

I think hunting etiquette is the same whatever tool you use to hunt with. The thing that irritates me concerning bowhunting only is when people take bad shots that they should have passed on. Respect the animal and if it won't be a good shot resulting in a quick death, don't take it.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:54 AM

Welcome to bowhunting! It is a passion that has bitten many of us...

I respect that you want to do things right, but 'right' can mean different things to different people. I can give you some of the things I would consider 'right'....

1. Do everything possible to ensure your bow is set-up properly, tuned, and you have practiced so that you can make a clean kill shot. Be sure to shoot your BH's before you go in the woods, screwing in your BH's can change point of impact dramatically!
2. Know and respect your quarry...study their vital zones and know where you can and can't place a shot for a quick kill.
3. Know your state and local game laws...and follow them! Report and do not associate with those that do not...
4. Do not shoot beyond your capabilities, even if the buck of a lifetime is in sight.
5. Once you have made your shot do exhaust every measure possible in finding the downed animal....you want to see people get fired up? Come fall post something like "Help, I can't find my deer...I looked for 2 hours and can't find it". Real hunters search until they find it or are confident it survived...meaning days, not hours.

These are just some things off the top of my head, I'm sure I will think of others and I'm sure the board members will add to it as well.

Have fun!

Old 07-14-2005, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: adams
If you're hunting crowded public land it's best to get in early. if you're walking in and see lights flashing at you from high in a tree it's best to move on as the spot is occupied. This is not required but is good etiquette.
I totally forgot about this one. I cannot tell you how many times hunters have done this when I hunt public land. Please get in the woods early, be quiet when walking to your stand and if you see a light flashing at you, respect the fact that the other hunter is there and find another spot.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

great advice so far...keep in mind that you can never practice too much....you owe that to the animal in your sights...you're about to enter a whole new world...best of luck to you and always be safe!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Bowhunting is a whole different game, get all the info you can on it, tune your bow and now it's range and stick to it, also if the shot is not right don't take it know matter what, shot placement is the key.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the good advice. As with the gun I will only take a shot I have practiced and am comfortable with. I don't have a tree stand so i will be hunting out of a ground blind which I have been practicing from.
I thought the courtesies would be similar to gun hunting but just wanted to make sure. I'll have my young daughter with me and I want to teach her proper hunting etiquette.

Quick Reply: I want to do the right thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.