Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Hunting Has Just Changed! >

Deer Hunting Has Just Changed!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Hunting Has Just Changed!

Old 07-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Hunting Has Just Changed!

And if Matt is unable too I'd like to see it.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thermographic vision is for attack helicopters, fighter jetsand tanks, not deer hunters.

Mike
Old 07-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

$8500 + ??????? HELL NO !!!! NOT EVEN IF IT WERE FREE.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:41 PM

That just doesn't quite seem sporting, now does it???
Old 07-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you use them to find the remote?

Then I'd have no use for it!
Old 07-13-2005, 08:30 PM

way too much. i wouldnt use it to hunt deer, maybe when i go shining or something, or when we have parties and are playing capture the flag (dont laff at that, or ill have to hurt you)
Old 07-13-2005, 08:40 PM

for $8500 it best find the deer for me..
Old 07-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know. Maybe I will be the one to buck the trend here. I won't pay that type of price for it but if they sold it for $300-$400 then I would consider using it strictly for recovery of game in a situation where I was unable to find the downed animal via conventional means. I would rather find him with that device then have him laying somewhere rotting.

As for using it in any other fashion...heck no.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Dairy ,The Gametraker is a cheesy little unit that suposedly works off of heat.Years ago I was desperate to find a deer I had shot.I searched and searched and finaly thought that I would go to a local sporting goods store to buy one,because of that sick feeling that I had.I looked for many hours,before deciding to buy this danged thing.Anyhow all it did was take me to areas where the sun had warmed trees and stuff like that.It seamed like a gimmic to me.I have learned alot since then and hope to never ,ever lose another animal again.I now have a dog that I will be training that is supposed to be an excelent breed for blood trailing,not that I ever plan on it ever happening again..
Old 07-13-2005, 09:31 PM

You can get night vision much cheaper than that, it just isn't as clear. They go by generations. I believe they are 1st gen, 2nd gen and 3rd gen. Each progressively gets less grainy and clearer. You can get first gen night vision at walmart if you want it.

I don't see what good it would do you to hunt with? Unless you can find a way to mount it to a bow and aim with it. It wouldn't be bad for scouting at night or playing with in the tree stand if you are in your stand real early before it gets light out. I was in the stand one morning and there were two bucks fighting near me, but it was too dark to make them out. A night vision scope would have been cool so I could have watched them. I don't see how it wold help you shoot one though?

I am pretty sure you can get them as a scope for a rifle, but they are pretty expensive. I think some people use them for varmint hunting at night or something. Mostly for sniper type stuff would be my guess though. I had a friend when I was a kid that his dad had a thermal scope on a rifle. You had to have a pack that you carried around with it for it to work. It basically showed a thermal image of what was infront of it. It was pretty cool, you could see mice and other animals in a corn feild at night. Except they were weird colors depending on the amount of heat they gave out. I have no idea what he used it for or how much something like that cost that many years ago.

As far as actually using something like that to hunt deer with, yep, poaching no doubt about it. No different than spot lighting them in my opinion.

Paul

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting Has Just Changed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.