Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do your own bow tunning? >

Do your own bow tunning?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do your own bow tunning?

Old 07-09-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Do your own bow tunning?

Another question from the new guy. Do some of you guys tweak your bows yourself? With my hobbies I like to learn as much as I can about my equipment and like to wrench on it myself if it's not critical stuff.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do your own bow tunning?

Yes. I do everything at home. No need for a bow press. All I need to completely disassemble my bow are two screwdrivers and a few different sized allen wrenches.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:36 AM

I do most of the work myself. Just read the threads on the technical forum and you should be able to do the work in no time.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, started tinkering on my own equipment long before finding these wonderful forums but they have definitely aided with a variety of tuning issues on several occasions. Doing your own work can, initially, be more expensive than a shop though...ofcourse depending on the shop's prices. All the gear needed to trully do your own work...bow press, various actual accessories, fletching jig, grain scale, spine tester, etc....can really hit the pocket book unless you do it gradually over time. Granted though, you don't necessarily need everything I mentioned.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:30 AM

if your wanting to do your own tuneing, go to eastonarchery.com . they cover the general idea of it all.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been doing most of my own tuning for 3 years now , a portable press ,allen wrench's center shot gauge ,spine tester and digital scale's are pretty much all you need .It can become pretty tedious ,but I've found a ton of useful tip's on these forum's to aid me with anything I need to do .Lot's of great people here that will help you any time you get stuck and need help.

nubo
Old 07-09-2005, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I do. I was kinda forced into it about 15yrs ago because there were not any reputable pros in my area. Still aren't. I'm glad I did though, because in the long run it is much easier for me...and Iknow exactly what has been done.
Like PA said, if you get ALL the stuff you need, it can be expensive. I accumulated my stuff over time, and have probably too much now.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:34 AM

I want to start, I just bought a portable bow press,knocking pliers,center tool, etc
Old 07-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Same as Nubo,I started about three years ago.I first strated out with videos,like the ones from PSE,and Apple archery,one that Ralph and Vicky from this site made,and string making from Larry wise.I then bought bow press,string jig,cronograph,lb scale,I use3d to use a bow square but use my eye more than the square.It may not pay for itself for a few years ,but I do work on my buddies bows and make strings for them also.It's a fun hobby.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just recently got back in to archery and quickly realized that doing some of your own tuning and maintenance is almost essential so I bought a portable press and never looked back. A press is @ 50 bucks and worth every penny. The next thing I bought was a used Bitzenburger jig off ebay to repair and refletch arrows. I think if you get these 2 basic tools then you can do most tweeking yourself. And then all the help and information you need is here for the asking by experienced and helpful people.

Quick Reply: Do your own bow tunning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.