Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What a waste ... >

What a waste ...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a waste ...

Old 07-07-2005, 02:23 PM

Default What a waste ...

I heard recently THAT IBO when they do a velocity test on a bow shoot a 360grian arrow with nofeathers or tips and end up busting limbs on some bows so im agianst IBO I LIKE AMO standards Better
Old 07-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What a waste ...

Have you verified this information with IBO, or are you just relying on what someone else told you?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those aren't IBO standards.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:53 PM

I thought it was calculated using a 30" draw, bow set at 70#'s and the arrow eighs 5 grains per pound. That would be a 350 grain arrow in weight. Nothing is mentioned about fletching or tips. And I seriously doubt a bow would "blow up" shooting an arrow that is 5 grains per pound.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

True IBO test standards are for a 350gr arrow fired from a bow with 70lb peak weight and a 30" draw. If the bow model is not capable of satisfying these standards (i.e. a youth/ladies bow) then they are tested at their max draw length (if less then 30") at peak weight with an arrow that weighs 5gr/lb peak draw weight.

As far as "busting up" limbs, you'll need to provide some evidence or at least site your source. I highly doubt that manufacturers would endorse the use of 5gr/lb arrows under warranty, or allow IBO to set a 5gr/lb standard for testing if their bows couldn't handle repeated firing as such.

Mike

Old 07-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Site Bouncer

I have to agree, I think the only "blowing up"happens during the R&D stage and even that is probably a rareoccurance.When the bows are tested for their IBO speeds I suspect you will find little to no failures. Most if not all bow companies have endorsed the 5gr/lb peak drawweight as being "safe" to shoot through their bows. They would not say it was safe if it wasn't.

I believe this because many people shoot their bows close to the 5gr/lb peak draw weight. You only need to go to a 3D shoot to see this. If bowsare blowing up at those standards, then I suspect youwould see many bowsbiting the dust and lots and lots of law suits.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:15 PM

I shoot my bow at IBO 29" all day - still got limbs on it
Old 07-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I heard recently THAT IBO when they do a velocity test on a bow....
You heard wrong. IBO does not do velocity testing on bows. This "IBO standard" baloney is nothing more than a marketing ploy used by manufacturers to sell bows. Fact of the matter is, there IS no IBO standard. Here's the true story on this myth.

The whole thing started when IBO made up their 5 grains per pound of draw weight rule. At first, they had no arrow weight limit or draw weight limit, and people were going to insane lengths to gain arrow speed. Some would shoot 100 pound bows with 300 grain arrows. Shooters were getting hurt because their bows were blowing up, and innocent bystanders were also getting hurt from the shrapnel. IBO didn't like seeing so many of their tournament participants going to the hospital and, since they couldn't count on these speed freak guys getting any smarter, they instituted the 5 grains per pound rule and topped draw weights at 80 pounds (90 pounds for traditional class).

Then guys started seeing what kind of speeds their bows would put out, keeping arrow weight legal under IBO rules, and talking about the "IBO speed" of their rigs. They could just as easily shoot 400 gn arrows on 80 pound draw bows at 34" draw length and still call it "IBO speed." But then the manufacturers picked up on the idea and decided to quit advertising their anemic looking numbers with the AMO industry standard . Instead they decided to scam shooters, because they could fudge the "IBO speeds" where they couldn't violate the testing criteria on AMO speeds.

What they've done is to kinda stick part of the AMO standard - the 30" draw part - together with IBO rules - the 5 grains per pound part - and settled on 70 pound draw weight, figuring that's the most poundage the average 3D archer or bowhunter would shoot. Then they started advertising "IBO speeds".

Whereas the AMO standard is a true standard, listed with the American Society of Materials and Testing, the so-called "IBO standard" is nothing more than a cobbled together menage of bull dung. IBO has nothing to do with it. On the other hand, they never have raised any official objection to manufacturers using their name for advertising purposes either.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:51 PM

Now Arthur, tell us how you really feel!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

This "IBO standard" baloney is nothing more than a marketing ploy used by manufacturers to sell bows. Fact of the matter is, there IS no IBO standard. Here's the true story on this myth.
It was a figure of speech pertaining to" IBO standard" 70-350-30speed testing on bows , by the mfg's ,for the consumers sake.

But thanks for the lesson!

Quick Reply: What a waste ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.