Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer cocaine??

Old 07-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer cocaine??

DO YOU THINK PUTTING THESE OUT AT THIS TIME OF YEAR DOES THE DEER ANYGOOD?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

STOP SHOUTING i would refer the question to a biologist but the book i read says that plain old salt would help with insect control and does lactating.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:05 PM

I had decent success with it. However, we decided to stock up big time and go with the red trace salt rock that we bought a feed co-op. We bought 300 lbs of the stuff. Over at our place in Iowa, the deer have destroyed any spot we put it. Even right next to our sheds that house our tractors for foodplots, they have a huge hole dug. We have one lick at our farm in Wisconsin thats close to 8 or 9 years old that is large a foot or two large in diameter than a kiddy pool and about two feet deep. the minerals get in the ground and the deer paw and scrape away at it, trying to eat the salt in there. deer really do love salt

slayer
Old 07-06-2005, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

DO YOU THINK PUTTING THESE OUT AT THIS TIME OF YEAR DOES THE DEER ANYGOOD?
Yes. Antler growth is still occurring. In fact, it may be especially beneficial now as this is a critical time in that regard.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

I've had success with the Deer Cocaine. Great product.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

We have been using it for years and I must say it has madea difference. The statement that the deer will eat the dirt is true! The sites were we have been putting it out the dirt is GONE. There are 6" deep holes and range from 3-6 ft around. The deer will find it no matter where you put it and keep coming back.

We hunt in PA where the deer are not that big in body as a rule but several years ago before the AR we shot a 10 pt buck with a 17" spread that only weighed 105 dressed. Now the wieght loss may be a result of the rut was in full and he was a active dude, if you know what I mean. LOL

Point of interest...........ever notice that in the east you always see deer feeding along all the highways, reason may be because of the salt the highway crews put down in the winter.I guess you could dump a bag of rock salt if you wanted to keep deer around.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowtech9
Point of interest...........ever notice that in the east you always see deer feeding along all the highways, reason may be because of the salt the highway crews put down in the winter.I guess you could dump a bag of rock salt if you wanted to keep deer around.
I've suspected that for some time now .
There's stretch of I-71 near Louisville , Kentucky where I work that is just alive with deer all year round . Kentucky isn't cheap with the salt when the snow falls , they slather the roads with it . Sadly , despite the high numbers of deer strikes the area is pretty much a no hunting zone due to development .
Old 07-11-2005, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ya know, I have seen that on numerous occasions but never gave it much thought. Are they the same type of salt? For some reason I always thought that the road salt was harmful.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

PAbowhunter,

I don't know my guess it the same. We all know it is harful to our vehicles (LOL) but to deer I don't think so. They mix it with some type of sand but as you know deer love Deer Cocaine and eat the dirt so I don't think the sand hurts them. here is my thinking, the highway crews put down the salt, the roads become wet and with the high speed of travel of the vehicles the spray from the vehicles travels to the sides of the roads where it lands. As the snow melts it goes into the ground as a trace mineral which the deer locate and eat it. I dumped a bag of rock salt out in the yard near my cociane and the deer found it and it was gone. Just a note, look at the fur trees along highway if the spray of salt hits them they will be all brown/dead on that side. Sometimes these trees are 20-30 yards from highway.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:32 PM

I use my own, named it deeRoids (pronounced deer roids) its a lot cheaper than coCaine and according to their label a lot better for the deer. The back of their package says 40 to 45 percent salt! Mine is less than30 percent.Then the next biggest isCalcium andPhosphorous. it also has some other minerals in it. Check out the pics on my site, www.deeroids.com.[/align]

Quick Reply: deer cocaine??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.