Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your standards when deer hunting >

What is your standards when deer hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your standards when deer hunting

Old 06-26-2005, 09:18 PM
TTH

Default What is your standards when deer hunting

I'm new to the site and just thought I would try and get an idea of the hunters on this site and the areas that they hunt. I'm 19 and have been bowhunting for 2 years. I cant shoot any buck if its not mature so everything has to be 5 1/2 or older before I can let my arrow fly. I shoot alot of does each year because of the ranches managment program. I havent killed a buck with my bow yet. I've passed on alot of young ones but I havent been with in shooting distance of big mature buck. As far as rifle hunting I've killed two bucks that will break 150 and a couple other bucks that will score 130-147. Anyway good luck to all this season, I cant wait until Sept.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:27 PM

Default RE: What is your standards when deer hunting

it all depends on where I'm hunting and with what weapon

a dink 6 pointer in Arkansas with my recurve matches or exceeds a 150" buck from Kansas
Old 06-26-2005, 09:30 PM

Welcome to the board! I manage/hunt 2000 acres. I have 6 other guys that hunt with me. We hunt in Alabama and the club rule on bucks is six points or better. I do not kill anything smaller than I have already killed. Un-less he ticks me off or is a tardWe can kill 3 deer a day for 73 days. only one of which can be a buck. The most deer I ever killed in one season is 29, Mostly does.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

shoot to kill is my standard
Old 06-26-2005, 10:08 PM

My standard is inside of 25 yards and a good shot opportunity.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seeing deer aren't usually a problem here. I want antler mass and I also pass up shots that I wish I hadn't come the end of hunting season. Come the last week of hunting season and I haven't filled my tag yet, I may pick up my rifle and I'll lower my standards to fill my tag.
Bobby
Old 06-27-2005, 01:13 AM

I've passed up some younger bucks but it really depends on the area I'm hunting. If hunting on public property and a nice 3 year old comes in he's going to be taken. If I don't the next hunter will. If on private property or a managed hunt then I do as requested by the owner.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

there is no 5 1/2 deer around here. I only shoot mature does and 6 pts and bigger.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not consider myself to be either a "meat hunter" or a "trophy hunter" but rather somewhere in between. I typically shoot at least one doe a year and, on average, a buck every other year or so. All with a bow. I do rifle hunt and occasionally take a doe there but not with any regularity as I normally have my tags filled by that point.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot as many does as I can, that aren't fawns. As far as bucks, I try hold out for a nicer one(to me), typically that means at least a 2 1/2 yr old.

Quick Reply: What is your standards when deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.