Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should high fence deer pens be illegal??? >

Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Old 07-08-2005, 05:46 PM

Default RE: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Kansasdeerhunter:

But, I guess that's ok since its your property and you can do whatever you want on it.
But at least stay ethical about it and don't road hunt them or teach other people to road hunt.
Its not illegal or considered "road hunting". In Texas you can hunt from a vehical and its a great way to hunt when you have a large area to cover. You can find trucks like this one on many ranches in Texas wether they are high fenced or NOT.

http://hylift.com/images/p0000417.jpg

but as long as you purchase the deer then they are rightfully yours.
I DO NOT want any foreign whitetail on my property. I only want true south Texas bucks. I have no desire to transplant bucks from across the state to "stock" my ranch with. I only want the descendets of the same deer that have always been on the ranch. I personally dont like ranches that import deer to improve the current herds genes. I have never imported any foreign genes onto my ranches nor has any ranch that I have ever hunted on. Its just something I dont and wont do........

Old 07-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

In Texas you can hunt from a vehical and its a great way to hunt when you have a large area to cover
Legal or not, nothing should be hunted from a vehicle. If you can't cover all the land you have on foot, then you have too darn much land and you're hoarding it from others who would make better use of it.

Its not illegal or considered "road hunting". In Texas you can hunt from a vehical and its a great way to hunt when you have a large area to cover. You can find trucks like this one on many ranches in Texas wether they are high fenced or NOT.

Wow, I can't believepeople actually hunt from these.That istoo funny. Actually its a shame. Before I thought you were a hunter that was just on the wrong side of the fence. Now I can seeits way beyond that, yourwhole concept of hunting is all messed up.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been reading this thread from the start and there will never be an end to the difference of opinions. I can see both sides of the fence. I was raised in Connecticut and learned to hunt there,( shotgun only I'm a bow rookie). I know what it is like to hunt high pressure public land. And that includes here in Tx. Last year for the first time I managed to get on a private lease. The lease is pretty small, 300 acres with 2 people besides me hunting it. I love it.....But I would love to hunt one of the many quality large ranches in south Tx. I know guys that spend what I consider exorbitant amounts to hunt these ranches. I just can't afford a hunt like that. I'm an electrician, blue collar as it gets and I've heard of $25,000. trophy fees. Way out of my league and that of most hunterts I know.
Now that I've said I'd like to hunt one of those ranches I want to make clear that I want to HUNT the ranch. I don't want to be taken to a stand and told to sit down and wait until my trophy comes along. To me that would be shooting not hunting. I would like, no, love the opportunity to scout and pattern deer, choose stand or blind locations and then ,if my work paid off harvest a 160 class or better deer off of one of these ranches.
I don't want to make any enemies but I'm not sure some of you understand just how much land is involved on some of these large ranches. They are massive! That said I'll just flipflop again! To the best of my knowledge none of the land owners near my lease high fence and I'm grateful for that because the place is so small it really matters. Deer travel from one property to another. But then this is east Tx. South Tx is a whole different critter.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack

You can find trucks like this one on many ranches in Texas wether they are high fenced or NOT.

Nice chrome wheels to go with the camo paint job.......Poser

You have got to be kidding me right.....this is a joke right? You mean to tell me you sit up in that.......that.......THING, and hunt from there?

Just reaffirms what I have been thinking and saying all along....That IS NOT hunting.

I have no desire to transplant bucks from across the state to "stock" my ranch with.
Yeah why...........when you can steal them right in your own back yard

I know it's notillegal, but in my opinion it should be.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:39 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I know I really shouldnt come back to this post, but Ill give it one last try. Chad, you are one of those who are decent about this. Others were not. You too do not fully understand what really IS enclosure hunting, though. I know, I know, most of you will quickly reply that you dont WANT to know. Yeah, ok, we get you, we heard you, fine. But, like any other topic in these boards lately, you cant get an intelligent exchange. Instead you have trouble makers shooting off jabs to just try to bait someone into an argument instead. Its a shame really, because theres so much more to this or most any topic, but its seldom seen past the childishness.

We all see the so-called canned hunt on tv and other "legitimate" forms of media. Just like the over sized trap attached to a dead coon to disgust non-trappers, its just plain propaganda. Nobody would want that kind of "hunt". If there were honestly any guys in here who could look at this or similar topics and get a first hand opportunity to learn from people here who know this stuff, at least exchanges like this could be more interesting...and civil.

Instead, Ive enjoyed corresponding with a few guys off this topic and these boards and we have been able to talk facts. I dont plan on making anyone an enclosure hunter, but it sure beats the bullsh*t replies.

Earlier I threw quite a few parallels up for discussion and couldnt get one honest reply. Mine were all fact, all could be documented, yet nobody could contest one. Just the childish remarks. That, my friends, will be the end of this sport...not the manner of taking.

Bill, I appreciate the good word, and I'm glad you took my replies in the way I meant them. No, I haven't hunted in an enclosure, so I don't have any hands-on experience. I have talked with a lot of guys who have, and have heard the good, the bad, and the downright disgusting. Folks that have hunted in fences from MI to TX; OK to TN. Some had a hard time getting a shot at a particular animal. I don't recall any that had a hard time seeing deer/pigs/exotics/whatever. Some seemed to be a challenge, some were downright pitiful. One fellow just walked off without taking a shot, while the animals that had been turned loose in the pen ran up and down the fence looking for a way out. One fellow that lives in TX once told me about his plans to target "city folk" as customers, because they either didn't know or didn't care about a canned hunt, they just wanted to kill something quick. Don't take that as a bash if you live in the city, that's just what this guy said.

Anyhow my point was, and still is, the appearance these operations give, and there is nothing at all positive about the light it puts ALL hunters in. Look at this thread--even the majority of HUNTERS here don't agree with it, some downright despise it. What do you think the majority of non-hunters think? It doesn't matter if it's 10 acres or 10,000 acres--two words stand out: HIGH FENCE. Even if you could get every hunter to agree, we are still the minority, and like it or not the public and politicians are going to decide the future of our sport. I'm not foolish enough to think that a few big shots in TX have enough pull to control what happens throughout the U.S., and I don't think for a minute that TX will still have a season long after every other state's has shut down. There are big shots on the other side of the argument too--probably quite a few more than we have on our side, and they won't be pushing for their own private interests.They will have a whole lot more support from the general public if we don't present ourselves as true sportsmen instead of bloodthirsty killers shooting Bambi in a pen. I know that's not the case every time, but that's the impression those two little words--HIGH FENCE--give! I have to disagree with your statement about hunters argueing being the end of our sport. It goes a whole lot deeper than that.

Chad
Old 07-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Site Bouncer

This will be my last post on this subject for a while.

To be honest the whole high fence thing doesn't bother me as much as the penning in state deer. I mean if someone wants to put up a high fence around their property that's fine with me.If someone wants to sell hunts, again fine with me, there will allways be a market for that. I just wish it would be done with deer that you eitherpurchased or raised.

I don't think it is fair to the rest of the states hunters to not be able to hunt what should be free roaming deer (or any other animal for that matter) because of someones selfishness or greed.

I do not want to get side tracked about the style of hunting one person chooses over another. I have myopinion as to what is proper, ethical and within the rules of fair chase but I can't force others to abide by the same standards I hold for myself.To me hunting is a privilege and arite of passage. It is sacred and I will not cheapen it.

God willing I will be able to show and teach my children how to hunt, how to read sign and follow trails. How to read the wind and the animal thatthey are hunting. How to show respect for that animal,all the things that are a part of hunting, as it should be.

I will not budge however on the "penning in" of state animals......it's just not right.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:41 PM

If you can't cover all the land you have on foot, then you have too darn much land and you're hoarding it from others who would make better use of it.
LMAO this thread is getting down right silly....... To much land....
Hoarding it......LOL
Old 07-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

txrookie is right, there won't ever be an end to the differing of opinions. I think I've said all I can to voice my opinion on the topic. Hopefully someone got something positive out of it, or at least learned something. Time will only tell what the future of hunting will be, I will continue to pray that it does not include a countryside full of high fence ranches.

To TXhighrack and others "on that side of the fence", it has been interesting debating this topic with you, and I have learned a lot about how people in other areas of the country/world view hunting. Good luck to you in the upcoming seasons.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Should be illegal.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: kansasdeerhunter

In Texas you can hunt from a vehical and its a great way to hunt when you have a large area to cover
Legal or not, nothing should be hunted from a vehicle. If you can't cover all the land you have on foot, then you have too darn much land and you're hoarding it from others who would make better use of it.

Wow, I can't believepeople actually hunt from these.That istoo funny. Actually its a shame. Before I thought you were a hunter that was just on the wrong side of the fence. Now I can seeits way beyond that, yourwhole concept of hunting is all messed up.
LOL Thats funny right there I don't care who you are. Get off it man you ain't gonna change any minds and your making your self look bad[&o]Its a free Country. If you got the money and this is how you want to spend it, do it! I think thats a great setupDo you like people who hunt deer with dogs? I sit inmy truck and let the dogs run deer out to the road so I can shoot em without gettin dirty. Ha bet you really like that type of hunting.

Quick Reply: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.