Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you take a practice Shot in the stand? >

Do you take a practice Shot in the stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you take a practice Shot in the stand?

Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Do you take a practice Shot in the stand?

Im just full of questions lately....But I've got hunitng on the mind!

Just wondering how many of you take a practice shot at something on the ground after you get in your stand? I usually don't but I know some people do. My old bow was pretty loud, and I didn't want to scare away any deer that were close by, but maybe now with the switchback I could get away with it. I also figure if I do try it, there is gonna be a hidden rock that will smash my arrow.
I usually just draw back and try out a few positions and make sure it all feels good.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:44 AM

Default RE: Do you take a practice Shot in the stand?

Never... if your not ready or confident enough before you get in the stand then dont go hunting. I will draw my bow to loosen up but that is it.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:00 AM

I agree, thats what I do, I just thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a shot just to make sure you didn't bump your sight or anything on the way into the stand......
Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do all of my practice before season. If you need to practice when you get to hunting area take a shot before you go to your stand.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

NEVER!! Practice from the stand when your at home praticing way before the season starts. Not after it starts when your hunting[&:]
Old 06-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do it regularly and it has nothing to do with needing a practice shot or not being confident or any of that. I do it to loosen up my muscles. I do it torefresh my muscle memory. I do it to make sure I haven't bumped anything off. I do it to make sure I am not having any string slap when I have on heavy clothes. I do it to be sure my cam isn't going to bump my climber top if I shoot at certain angles etc.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:26 AM

I practice from a stand or elevated quite often before the season so I'm ready to go when I hit the woods. I never take practice shots while hunting though. When I climb into my stand to hunt it is for real. If I shoot while I'm hunting my broadhead will be deflating lungs
Old 06-23-2005, 10:26 AM

I always shot from my stand. The hight can realy afect flight. I have a stand setup in my back yard. Itis about 15 feet and about 18 yards. I shoot just about every day, but only out of the stand once and a while. I think itis goodto let a few fly from the stand. I never stop practicing I am always shooting at something in in the woods (Logs, stumps, leaves). I just enjoy shooting even if it is at random things. i shoot a long bow so I cant stop practicing, but even when I used a compound I would shoot all the time in the woods.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

PSYCHO,How about the guy that is just taking a shot to make sure that nothing got bumped or moved on his bow?Confidence is just a state of mind.jmho.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Silent Assassin. I take some field pointed arrows up with me in the stand and generally shoot just before I get off of my stand. I feel better about the next day if I do that. It's just a habit, but I never spooked a deer doing that.

Quick Reply: Do you take a practice Shot in the stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.