Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BowBug(game recovery system) >

BowBug(game recovery system)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BowBug(game recovery system)

Old 07-05-2005, 04:06 PM

Default RE: BowBug(game recovery system)

Wow, what a huge buck. Too bad it won't come in any farther. Oh well, I can just aim a little high and hit anywhere and wait till gun season to track it down and killingit.

Try telling me that won't happem.
Yeah I suppose if you're able to get within bow range and arrow a buck right before gun season opens. According to the website the battery lasts about 5 days.

I see this product as having a lot more practical application than promoting unethical behavior. I'll bet that the majority of bowhunters have lost or will lose an animal sometime in their career because they can't trail the animal.

Anybody can make a less than perfect shot and often for a variety of reasons following a blood trail can be difficult if not impossible.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:49 PM

Default RE: First Hand Experience

A guy who hunts the same patch of woods as me used one of these (I think it was a different brand but the same concept). The device has a barb on it so when the arrow passes through the device gets stuck at the point of impact. He said he successfully used it to recover a bear and I watched him use it to "assist" in tracking a deer.

He was hunting no more than 100 yards away from me on an afternoon hunt (didn't even know he was there) and I heard him shoot and hit a buck. When it got dark I got down as did he and I went over to see who was hunting near me. He told me he hit a buck but it was a little far back. I helped him track and the blood was scarce and their was signs of a gut shot. He said he would wait till morning to come look for him.

I was back in the general area the next day hunting and here he comes with this little device with a moveable antenna. It was late so I climbed down to help him track.

You basically walk a straight line and the antenna points in the general direction of where the tracking device is. It helped on a few occasions when we lost blood and helped to pick up the trail again. We ended up finding the buck bedded in some real thick cover. Now, would it have happened without the device? Probably yes, maybe not. The trail got real weak.

I for one would never buy this type of thing but I did witness it being used and it worked. Not a bad concept if used correctly. Just not my cup of tea.

That's all I got.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Although I can't see me using the the little "bugger", I have a feeling ifa person is going totake an unethical shot it isn't going to matter whether he is using this gadget or not.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

150 yards average? How is that going to help?[:-]
Old 07-06-2005, 09:28 PM

Bowbug = gimmick. (how profound).