Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bow only counties in West Va >

Bow only counties in West Va

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow only counties in West Va

Old 09-21-2002, 01:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bow only counties in West Va

Any one got any info other than what's on the West Va wildlife pageon the 4 counties in West Va. that are bow only for whitetail. I'm headed up this next weekend to look around and talk to some folks and try to get a foot in the door for next year or at least check out some of the public land, which there isn't much of as I can tell. Thanks

Old 09-21-2002, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow only counties in West Va

I dont know all four countys but Mingo is one of them. They're all down south. I'm from Morgantown WV and the boys down there look on me like I'm from NY City. They werent real cooperative or forthcoming with info. If you're scouting for land for NExt year I'd wait till this season is over before you went asking about land. Good luck and please report back what you find. I'm going back to WV (currently living in Phoenix) Nov10-25 for bow hunting around Laurel Mountain and Phillipi. Good luck

Cargo
Old 09-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

In McDowell Co most of the land is owned by coal companies or land co same thing and it is open to hunt on. Most of it dictates that you have a 4 wheeler to get back to where the deer are. There is quite a bit of private land but permission is hard to come by as the hunters here have it all sewed up. Most of the land is straight up and down also but there is no doubt there are some great bucks to be had in the right place. I know this wasnt much help but unless you were here to see for yourself its hard to understand.

Take a child hunting,for they are not only our future but also the future of hunting. Roy .
Old 09-21-2002, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-21-2002, 11:06 PM

HighKnob- I live about 10 minutes away from the 4 bow hunting only counties in West Virginia. I hunt them exclusively the month of November. The areas I hunt are extremely rugged but are mostly on public land. Most of the land in these 4 counties is owned by coal companies so you have access to a lot of land. The area I hunt is well over 10,000 acres and can be hunted by anyone. The problem with these areas is the extremely low deer populations. The average deer per square mile in these counties is .95. Granted there is places where it is higher but you get the idea. The good thing is it's bow hunting only, almost no hunting pressure, and the bucks must travel extremely long distances to find the does. The only time to hunt these counties is in November. If the rut isn't in then the bucks just don't move. But when the ruts in it can get crazy fast. The bucks really do what bucks are supposed to do during the rut. The competition is fierce for the does as they start to come into heat. If you have any more questions let me know.

Below is 2 of our most recent kills:

Old 09-22-2002, 09:21 AM

Highknob- Where you located in WV?
Old 09-22-2002, 12:52 PM

I'm from one of the bowhunting only counties in WV. Like the guy said theres not many deer down here thats why its bowhunting only. A person might go days without seeing a deer. The best time to come down is in November when the rut stsrts. There are some monster bucks down here but can be hard to get up with but if you do get up with one you won't be disappointed. My brother currently holds the state record for bow kill that came from down here, it scored 175 6/8 pope and young if that tells you anything.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:38 PM

bowhunter713- Which county do you live in?

HANKFAN
Old 09-22-2002, 07:39 PM

bowhunter713- Which county do you live in?

HANKFAN
Old 09-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too live in one of the bow hunting only counties. I just missed the state archery record with a P&Y 172 13pt buck. If your going to come in state, drop me an e-mail and I'll try to help you out. [email protected]

Quick Reply: Bow only counties in West Va

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.