Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Breaking up an outline >

Breaking up an outline

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Breaking up an outline

Old 06-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Breaking up an outline

i was just wondering if ya'll have any tips for breaking up an outline of a treestand. i have a viper x4 and i wasn't sure on how to do it and whether it was necessary. i thought about puting some strips of 3d camo along the outer edges of the bottom platform and the same as the top. would that make any difference? well thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Breaking up an outline

I've never tried the 3d tape but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I use fake camo branches from Ameristep. They have holders that you can screw in the tree around your stand then you put the branches in the holders. It works pretty well. Another thing I look for is a tree that will help break up the outline. Not all spots I want to put a stand provide good cover, but I try to look for ones that are fairly thick. Then I get up in them and cut a few lanes here and there. The branches and what foliage is left come bow season provides good cover.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to get some cover under and in front of you. Also make sure that you have good back cover. As far as the 3-d camo goes if don't have the natural cover you're going to look like a big clump up there and it may work against you.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well heres a question how do you try and break the outline with a 20 foot ladder stand? i was thinking about in and thats an awful lot of 3D tape to be doing that lol
Old 06-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Instead of 3D tape, what if you zip-tied tree branches to the edges. You'd have to be careful and put them on the ladder so that all the branches are outward and the limbs don't interfere with climbing but that might work and it's cheaper than the tape.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

what if you zip-tied tree branches to the edges.
i would be able to do this with my climber too wouldn't i???
Old 06-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes you would, anothergreat observation on the bowsite fourm. Good job.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure enough. I leave some electrical tie wraps loose on my climbers horizontal tubings and jam tree branches in there as needed.

I also use the shoulder straps to help hold branches beneath the deck, pointed out in front of me to help break up my outline if the deer happen to look up at me from in front of my tree.

Just don't go too wild or you will be blocking your shootability from the stand.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just tie a bunch of branches to a sepperate line, pull them up and stuff them in the holes in the platform and around the seat. When finished for the dayI hang them from a limb to use again. Refreshen as needed.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is one thing everyone knows deer see, Light. Concentrate on keeping it natural, what ever it may be.

Quick Reply: Breaking up an outline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.