Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how do you hair trigger a release? >

how do you hair trigger a release?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how do you hair trigger a release?

Old 06-10-2005, 12:25 AM

Default how do you hair trigger a release?

How do you hair trigger a release and does it make a noticable difference?
Old 06-10-2005, 03:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how do you hair trigger a release?

There is a small allen head screw right next to your "trigger". Loosen it up some until you get the feel you are looking for.

It will certainly make a difference in the feel of your shot. I like a soft trigger ... but definitely not a hair trigger.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

First you get a great big back stop and then...
Old 06-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

... you begin learning how to anticipate the shot, so you can flinch and miss.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

... you begin learning how to anticipate the shot, so you can flinch and miss.
Could be. Can ya see it! I can see it!
Old 06-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, I been there, nodog.[&:]

I never was much good with a release to begin with. I always had the trigger tension set light, because I liked a light pull on my rifle triggers. Then I read this article saying how a heavy trigger was better for a release. So, I cranked that trigger down as far as it'd go and went to the range. I had no idea how bad I was at anticipating the shot until that day. When I began the squeeze and the bow didn't go off when I was used to it going, my whole body would jerk. I mean BAD! That "bow arm flinging up in the air" kind of bad. I was a nervous wreck after an hour of it, but I'd darned sure found the problem I'd been having with releases.

Next trip to the range, I'd finally started calming down and began pulling through the trigger until it did go off. My release shooting improved dramatically in the first week after I adjusted that trigger as heavy as it'd go.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur,

I'd say just a slight case of target panic. Glad you got it straightened out.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, it wasn't even close to being target panic. I hate that term 'target panic' anyway, because people tend to lump all manner of simple, minor, easily cured shooting problems under the category. I had simply developed a bad habit that only showed itself when I got away from what caused it in the first place... a release trigger set way too light.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur....That was exactly how I was when I started. It may have just been because I was scared of the release or something, but my whole arm would jump and I would miss the bullseye by more than a foot and a half, and sometimes the whole target itself. I used to pull the trigger really slow and I was anticipating the shot, like you said, and literally a millionth of a second before the shot I jerked. I finally lighted it up, and stopped thinking about when the bow was gonna go off. After about a month of regular shooting, I dont think Ive jerked one shot since.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:10 PM

first off if you are going to start adjusting your trigger tention do so by adjusting it in small amounts at a time then attach release to bow string put light tention to the release by pulling it against the string and see if it miss fires. some releases can be adjusted so soft they will not even pull the weight of the pow back before discharging the arrow. AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN. I loosen mine up to this point then tighten it down so it cannot discharge untill I have squeezed the trigger.

Quick Reply: how do you hair trigger a release?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.