Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

MRE s

Old 06-08-2005, 10:11 PM

Default MRE s

Those of you who eat mre, do yo use those smelly chemical self heating meal heaters. If so do you think the smell from those will be excessive on my scent free person or pack because I will be carrying it out probably in a ziplock but they don't smell the best or would I be better off eating them cold.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:15 PM

Default RE: MRE s

i use the warmer, i never thought of smell? i guess to me it was worth eating a hot meal! some of those mre's are hard to choke down warm, i don't think i could do it cold![:'(]
Old 06-08-2005, 10:56 PM

Now that you mention it they do taste kind of rough cold very good point thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 AM
Site Bouncer

I like them!

I use them all the time while hiking and every once and a while when hunting. Unless I am spending the night out doors hunting I can get by with just some snacks in my pack. But if I'm spending the night outdoors no matter if it's hiking or hunting I bring MRE's. I have also found that you can greatly reduce the carry out garbage by burning the paper based inner containers, (not the plastic) this will leave you with little to carry out. What is not burned I just put back into the main pouch, roll it up and stuff into a zip lock.

I use the water heater sometimes but mostly I use an esbit stove and some trioxane fuel bars. Just half will give you enough burn time to heat your meal, it also serves as a great fire starter in damp conditions because the trioxane will burn for approx. 10min. Oh, and once the trioxane has burned out, it leaves little residue and cleans up easy. I use a military canteen cup to cook in, it stores on the bottom of the canteen and all fit into the canteen soft case.

The water activated heater is fine but sometimes I like to add in crackers, salt, pepper, tobasco, etc... to the meal while cooking and you can't do that with the pouch heater. Or if the meal is thick I can add a little water to it.

MRE's are a great product and I allways have a case or two laying around.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:03 PM

Hey BigJ12 do you know how many forest fires I have been on that was started by people burning there toilet paper or other paper goods that are just to heavy to pack out. Toilet paper decomposes, the paper from your MRE is lighter going out and NO PAPER should be burned in the forest during any hunting season.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:18 AM

Those things taste pretty good. My dad got them from the base and they are pretty good.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:42 AM

Heat them up or you may be worrying about vomit smell.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:32 AM

I've used them several times and even when sniffing the pouch when it is heating up, I've never noticed the smell. Honest
Old 06-11-2005, 10:05 AM
XTP

A friend of mine in the Canadian Forces gave me a couple to try out. They were pretty good for packaged food.No self heaters though,just sit the foil bag in boiling water for a couple mintues and.. voila..one hot Meal Ready to Eat..!

Most of the time though you can do pretty well with regular super-market stuff.Canned stew,beans, dry noodles and all sorts of pre-packaged foods work well and are easy to heat up.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Spike

I could not imagine eating a MRE without the heater. I know alot about those things. I am in the Air Force currently serving in Iraq. I have had more MRE's than I can count. There are 2 types of heaters out, the old and new kind. The old kind is one solid heater and theother is a bunch of heaters all together. I really wouldnt worry about the smell since you should be outside. Eating something like Hamslice or beefstew would just taste like crap without the heater. I recommend MREs because it is loaded with calories for energy to burn of in the field. Also is great for your muscles since normally each meal is loaded with over 22 grams of protein. Last but not least, they do not cause a fire of any sort. Take it from me I have tried to light things on fire with these things,it doesnt work. The only fun thing to do is to play aprank on your hunting buddy is put an unused heater in a 20oz bottle and put some water in there. Then throw it behind him and watch it blow up. He will jump right out of his camo. Good Luck Hunting

Mathews shooter for life
John 14:6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.