Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 help me pack my pack >

help me pack my pack

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help me pack my pack

Old 06-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: help me pack my pack

If it doesn't fit in my pockets and a small fanny pack, it doesn't go with me. In my pockets I've got:

knife (or two)

cell phone (turned OFF!)

MiniMag flashlight

small diamond hone

compass (been thinking about adding a GPS to my kit, but the compass will never be replaced.)

lighter and whistle

Maybe a grunt call or bleater

miscellaneous stuff that I think I might accidently need, and wind up grabbing it on the way out the door.

In the fanny pack I've got:

poncho

candle wrapped in aluminum foil

multitool

spare bowstring

drag rope

small first aid kit

TP

sandwich and/or a couple of energy bars

spare glove or tab

extra batteries for the flashlight

my keys, wrapped in an old sock to keep them from clanking around.

Early in the season, I take a small bottle of skeeter dope for after I've sweated off the morning's dose (can't shoot for nothin' when I've got bugs buzzing my ears!)

I also carry a bota bag of water over my shoulder.

I want to keep all my stuff on me at all times. I don't want anything I'd need to take off, running the risk of walking off and forgetting it or, worse, winding up hurt on the ground with all my emergency stuff still in the day pack up there in the stand or otherwise out of reach.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

If you plan it well enough... all you need is a knife and a drag rope. You should be out of the woods with your deer by 8 AM.[8D]
Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Terasec

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

What everyone else said. Dont forget an extra release. They come in handy when you pull your bow up and remember the release is sitting at the base of your tree [:-] I bring a small saw and pruners too...
-------
Been thinking of adding a 3 point fishing hook to my pack for just that reason,
nothing like sitting in a treestand and looking at your release, glove or anything you dropped down there on the ground,

That's too funny. This is why I like hunting with friends. We were talking about dropping stuff out of the tree stand. One of us I think did do that or we were just talking about old hunts. When one of my friends explains how he uses the bungi cord hook if he has to fish anything from below. I explained how I tied a loop in my rope to retrieve my bow once after it fell (I did shoot a deer afterwards). That's when my other friend told a story of dropping his boot from up high and trying to figure away to retrieve it. It was in the teens and peak of the rut at prime time, climbing down was out of the question. He hunted without the boot because he couldn't justify shooting it with his arrow and pulling it up with his string attached.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

GEEZ..... I am in a forum with a bunch of survivalists

My "fanny" pack consits of

HS Windicator
True Talker grunt call
Primos can
Bushnell range finder
digital camera
Scent Killer spray
Doc's Mirage breath spray
Gerber w/ gut hook

I think thats about it.

Things I take that are not in my pack are Binos attached to the bino system and the strapper bow hoist reel.

Who needs a dragging rope...... Grab em' by the horns
Old 06-08-2005, 03:04 PM

Contents of my fanny pack include:
folding saw
knife
rubber gloves
flagging tape
flash light
range finder
earth cover scent
head lamp
rope to hoist bow
water
Old 06-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been thinking of adding a 3 point fishing hook to my pack for just that reason,
nothing like sitting in a treestand and looking at your release, glove or anything you dropped down there on the ground,
I have a weighted treble hook with line attached. I have used this atleast twice a year. Nothing worse than leaving or dropping something at the base of your tree coverd with your scent.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: statjunk

A whistle. You can blow a whistle even when you can't yell.

Steel wool.

Tom

I agree with the whistle but i would recomend that you carry it with you ,as you may not be able to get to your daypack..
and all the rest has been covered quit well, just have too sort out exactly what you'll need to suit your day's hunt..
Good luck and Have Fun!!!!!!!!!
Bill
Old 06-08-2005, 06:46 PM

What I have in my fanny pack or Back pack is dependant upon what part of the season it is and how far I am walking to get to my stand.
1.compass(when rifle hunting)
2. gps(to mark area's of interest or the location of a deer)
3.HS true talker grunt call
4.primos can(never had a response but I will keep trying)
5.screw in bow hooks
6.scent eliminator(vanishing hunter)
7.small knife
8.flagging tape
9.The rope that I use to pull up my bow is strong enough to drag if need be.
10.safety belt
11.Deer lure
If it is cold and I am rifle hunting it is more likely that I will have a back pack with additional clothing,topo map of the area,sandwiches,piece of fruit,snack bars,handwarmers,cordura fold up ammunition pouch.waterproof matches also.
I appreciate the information about the whistle from the other posters,that seems like a good common sensical thing to do!
Old 06-09-2005, 07:04 AM

What are you hunting for Ice?
im hunting for deer and hog
Old 06-09-2005, 07:55 AM

light weight rain gear, some snacks & food, some gatoraid or water, flashlight, knife, 25ft of rope to pull your bow into your stand, safety belt, deer scent, scent killer spray, grunt tube, rattle bag, bleat call, cell phone, range finder, small screw in bow holder/gear holder, map and GPS.

Quick Reply: help me pack my pack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.