Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thermacell for Deer Hunting? >

Thermacell for Deer Hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thermacell for Deer Hunting?

Old 06-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thermacell for Deer Hunting?

I used a Thermacell for the first time this year while turkey hunting. I can't believe how effective it was. It's supposed to be odorless, but I'm not so sure about that. I'd hate to get busted while using it, but I guarantee, I'll be able to sit still easier in the early season if I'm using it. Has anybody used one when deer hunting?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thermacell for Deer Hunting?

If they bust you while you are useing a thermacell they would have busted you any how. Remember that any odor from the thermacell is only going to the same place that your human odor is going.

I won't go hunting again where there are skeeters with out one. Best thing for us hunters since the invention of the gun. Oops........... I mean compound bow.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Thermacell is indeed a handy unit for skeeters and it is certainly very effective.
I'm also using one with 'scent pads'--but I may have to return this unit to Schawbel as the element keeps going out (by itself) and of course this turns the until off.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've never used one but i have heard good things about them. i'm thinking about trying it for these huge florida skeeters. i think it works on yellow and horse flies right???? that would be really helpful also. i have one of the bass pro bug suits and that works also, but be sure you have the gloves because they will find out that your gloves aren't the bug stuff fast...[:@]
Old 06-06-2005, 08:49 AM

I love my thermacell. I've used it bow hunting the last couple of years with great sucess(as far as avoiding mosquitos and not getting busted). I question the claim that it is odorless as I've detected an odor but I'm sure it's an unfamiliar scent to the critters of the woods. They may well smell it but whether or not they associate the odor with danger is another matter.

I hang mine under my lockons with two little pieces of coat hanger. Not that I've been using it a while I'm not sure how I ever got along without it.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:49 AM

IT WORKS! I live in Florida and there are skeeters here year round and large enough to carry you away. You wont see or here any after you turn the thermacell on.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had mine for 6 years and I've deer hunted and bear hunted with it. Even though there is a slight vapor/chemical odor, I don't think it affects deer and bear the same way our carbon dioxide bacteria laden human molecules do. Also, I've noticed that the released vapor seems to rise most of the time.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:55 AM

I use one in Florida, in the early fall, while hunting in the swamps and have yet to be bitten. Let it warm up for at least 5 min before you go out. Also, wind can be a spoiler for a thermacell. good luck.
also, get a holder that allows you to wear it on your waist.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like I'll give it a go this year. Sorry Skeeters!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 PM

I was wondering the same thing- I spoke with a couple of guys in one of my clubs and they swear by them, so I will be getting one for bow season for sure!

Quick Reply: Thermacell for Deer Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.