Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 homemade feeders >

homemade feeders

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

homemade feeders

Old 06-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default homemade feeders

Guys I am looking to put out some feeders this year. I have never been able to do so on the land I hunt on becouse the owner felt that was cheating. I never did and now they want me to just start cutting the deer down. I have never liked just putting out piles of corn. How can I make some feeders that do not waste corn or let it go bad?

P.S. I have no bears to worry about.

Boldplate
Old 06-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: homemade feeders

Do a search sombody just recently posted one with a5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom and a broom stick that the deer nudge to get more corn.Seemed slick keeping the corn dry and high enough to keep the coons away
Old 06-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

Do a search sombody just recently posted one with a5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom and a broom stick that the deer nudge to get more corn.Seemed slick keeping the corn dry and high enough to keep the coons away

yeah double lunger would be able to help you with these. that was him who had posted the above mentioned feeders. he sent me pics and everything. he would be glad to help you.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:08 PM

here is the post it looks good just go through the post and he explains how he makes it.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1074054
Old 06-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

I've also seen some made of PVC pipe. Don't know what dia. but i'm thinking 6" dia.

Make the long, straight tube section about 4ft long. Make it so that there is a 90 degree elbow on the bottom and put a pipe cap on it but cut the lower half of the pipe cap off so that it will allow the grain to come out. Also, put a pipe cap on the top of the feeder so the grain doesn't get wet. You can strap this type of feeder to a tree.

I think I saw this online or on somebody's homemade website.....looks pretty interesting, just wish I knew the specifics. Hopefully this will give you a rough guide on how to make one.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:21 AM

If you are to lazy to check the other thread, I copied the text for you.....

The feeder is a bucket style feeder . Take any bucket you have a lid for and has a handle . Then take a wooden dowl maybe 1/2 inch to inch ( any size will work ) . Cut the dowl down to about 8 to 10 inches . Come down about 2 inches on one side and drill a small hole through it . Small enough you really have to push the nail in and it will not move . You can even screw two screws evenly on both sides . Just something that will stop the dowl from falling out .

Now what ever size dowl you use drill a hole a 1/2 inch bigger in the bottom of the bucket . So if you used a 1 inch dowl drill a 1 1/2 hole . From the top of the bucket drop the longer end of the dowl in to the hole so only about 2" of the dowl is inside the bucket .

Fill the bucket at the feed location , put the lid on and hang it hight enough that the deer's mouth can get to the hole . When the deer goes for the corn it will hit the stick letting a little bit of corn fall out each time .

This will keep your corn dry and keep the coons out . You will be surprised how long a 50lb bag will last you this way .
Old 06-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

another good one with pvc pipe is to take a piece of 4" x4' pipe glue a joint on that has a 45 entering (kind of y shaped), then glue a cap on the bottom. Also you can drill a couple of holes in the top to thread a rope through to make a hanger. Put it up about 3' off the ground to keep coons out. Dont glue the top cap on like I did with my first one. Made it hard to fill. Can be strapped to a tree or fence post critters eat out of the Y branch that is left open.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:13 AM

Sorry guys , I didnt see this post . I will try to make a video clip next time I make one . Maybe that will help some mebers .
Old 06-03-2005, 09:13 AM

fast and easy.... take a 4" by 4 or 5 ft piece of pvc and hang it on a tree or put a 4x4 post in the ground and hang it 2-3 inches off the ground and put a top on it. You will have to screw or nail it about an inch or 2 from the top and tie a string or piece of wire around the bottom.The corn will fill up the tube and will come out as the deer or turkeys eat it. This is definately the most common type of homemade feeder and trouble free.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Lunger

Sorry guys , I didnt see this post . I will try to make a video clip next time I make one . Maybe that will help some mebers .
I made on of those today and it was a piece of cake. Didn't have to buy a single thing and it didn't take over a half hour including the camo paint job.

I do have a couple questions.
Are you using shell corn or cracked corn?
When you said you made the hole a half in bigger than the rod did you mean a half inch on each side of the rod or a one inch hole for a half inch rod?

On mind I had some old pipe that was about 3/4 and I made the hole about an inch and a half but I also have some old washers laying around that I threw in the bottom of the bucket so I can put that on to give my self some adjustment to suit the type of feed.

I give this project 2 thumbs up it definately makes the list of 4 or 5 outstanding project ideas I've gotton off the internet boards in the last 3 or 4 years.

Easy to do.
Didn't cost a dime to make.
I don't see how it could ever go bad, wear out or quit working.

Quick Reply: homemade feeders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.