Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Lethality

Old 05-16-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Arrow Lethality

This is a long article but well worth the read. The first 2/3 breaks down physics into terms that most nonscientific types (me) can understand.

http://www.datakey.com.au/steve1/Momentum.pdf
Old 05-16-2005, 07:31 AM

Default RE: Arrow Lethality

I only got halfway through it but at a glance it looks like a lot of interesting information. I printed it out so I can sit and ponder all the details. Thanks
Old 05-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Air bags, baseballs, buckets of sand...

Baloney, just shoot the critters...
Old 05-16-2005, 10:15 AM

A bit more reading for those who care.Natal Study

More.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

After reading cycllones post, I'm sitting here biting my tongue.... I want to say it soooo bad....

Old 05-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Come on man. say it! Don,t short yourself the self gratification. You let all that ball up inside and we might see you on the news on top of a roof.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting this Landjaeger. Very interesting and informative information.

Its really strange but................in a much simpler way, I already knew this.

Seriously, if a person thinks about it deeply, its not hard to realize that the heavier object moving at a reasonable rate of speed can and will hit harder than a lighter faster object.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

True, if a 98 pound dude smacks you upside the head at 25 mph and then a 220 pound dude does the same thing the results will be any thing but the same. Or a car hits you at 55 mph and then a train. Same thing applies to arrows.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

After reading cycllones post, I'm sitting here biting my tongue.... I want to say it soooo bad....

Huh? What? Go ahead...If it's bad go ahead....I'm an umpire, I can take it....
Maybe I'll tell you why I feel that way.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bet even umpires have their limits. [8D]

I likely know why you feel that way. You're probably like most these days.... shooting plenty of draw weight with a high performance bow and hunting not much other than deer. If you shoot a 65+ pound high performance compound, putting out at least 65 ft lbs of energy, do you realize that your bow is putting out as much or more energy than Fred Bear used to take an elephant? And why are you using that much power for puny little deer? Light arrows and, often, mechanical broadheads demand that much power, even for thin skinned, light boned critters. Unfortunately, sometimes even that much proves to be insufficient.

Start going down the scale with draw weight and bow performance, or up the scale on animal size and toughness, that airbag "I don't give a rip" bucket of sand doesn't fly. Instead of having baseballs bouncing around in your skull, you need KNOWLEDGE. You HAVE to know how to maximize the penetration potential you can get with the energy you have available, and choose the appropriate broadhead (type, size and width) to cause as much damage as possible while still driving deep enough to do the job. Not to mention a little allowance for some extra depth, just in case everything doesn't go exactly according to plan.

The same information you don't care to know would be crucial knowledge for someone else.

Quick Reply: Arrow Lethality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.