Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Removing Paint From A Bow? >

Removing Paint From A Bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Removing Paint From A Bow?

Old 05-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Site Bouncer

Default Removing Paint From A Bow?

Hey all,

I just bought a PSE bow from a garage sale today. I don't know what model it is because It has been painted. It appears to be a few years old (cams look older) but the draw length is right for me so I figured what the heck it was only $20.00

My question is how do I remove the paint with out hurting the fiberglass limbs? It looks to be spray paint and I mean this guy painted EVERYTHING! cams, cables, string, sight, riser, grip, limbs, etc....the whole thing.

Any suggestions? I can handle the riser and the rest, but I don't want to hurt the limbs.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:39 PM

Default RE: Removing Paint From A Bow?

Tip: Use it as a boat anchor. Or a non-returning bow-boomerang.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:45 AM

someone spray painted the cables and the string? i think you may need to replace those, i wouldn't imagine the paint or the cleaning off of the paint would be too good for them. are the cables steel?

shadow ace, you're bad!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with gibblet, I would change the string and cables just to be on the safe side!!!! Good luck!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put it in your garage sale for $ 25.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the bow fits you there should be no problems getting it to shoot well,as long as it isn't hurt in any way.I have tuned up old bows like this for people and they were shooting extremely well with the bows in a short amount of time.

As far as removing paint from the limbs,I am not sure what would be considered safe but if denatured alcohol will work it shouldn't hurt anything but I doubt it will remove the paint.Acetone will remove the paint but would be hard on the limbs but if you used a small amount at a time on a rag and cleaned small areas it should be safe enough.Paint thinner used in the same manner should be ok too.The problem is if there is a finish under the paint you are trying to save,you can forget it.

Your best bet is most likely just lightly sanding the limbs and repainting them to your liking.

And definately replace the strings and cables.Throw a set of limb savers on it and it should serve you well.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Site Bouncer

Thanks for the responces, Shadow, not a big PSE fan eh?

I ended up using "Goof Off" to get the spray paint off of the bow. It worked ok, I needed to scrub alot but at least it didn't hurt the limbs. The bow is in pretty good shape. After removing the paint off of the limbs I could tell that it was an old PSE Elite Graphite. I will probably end up selling it or use it as my backup to my two Brownings.

I sprayed it with a nice camo pattern on the riser and left the limbs black. looks pretty cool. I have some spare sights and rests laying around so I will put them on and tune her up. If I do sell it, at least someone will get a good shooting and reliable bow to hunt with.

The cables are steel and the paint came off of the rubber/plastic coating just fine, infact that was the easiest cleanup on the bow. I will replace the string though.

Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

Thanks for the responces, Shadow, not a big PSE fan eh?

I ended up using "Goof Off" to get the spray paint off of the bow. It worked ok, I needed to scrub alot but at least it didn't hurt the limbs. The bow is in pretty good shape. After removing the paint off of the limbs I could tell that it was an old PSE Elite Graphite. I will probably end up selling it or use it as my backup to my two Brownings.

I sprayed it with a nice camo pattern on the riser and left the limbs black. looks pretty cool. I have some spare sights and rests laying around so I will put them on and tune her up. If I do sell it, at least someone will get a good shooting and reliable bow to hunt with.

The cables are steel and the paint came off of the rubber/plastic coating just fine, infact that was the easiest cleanup on the bow. I will replace the string though.

Thanks again.
That's not it. I'm not a fan of cheap compounds, old compounds, etc. There was nothing more frustrating for me starting out in archery than to have to use cheap, heavy, hard to tune compounds. I was always wondering if it was the bow or if it were me that was causing the inconsistent shooting. Maybe it was me but the newer bows must be much more forgiving because the LX I bought last year shoots like a dream compared to the bows I started out with. Just my .02 and I hope you get more enjoyment out of it than I could get out of my "bargain bows"
Old 05-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Site Bouncer

That's not it. I'm not a fan of cheap compounds, old compounds, etc. There was nothing more frustrating for me starting out in archery than to have to use cheap, heavy, hard to tune compounds. I was always wondering if it was the bow or if it were me that was causing the inconsistent shooting. Maybe it was me but the newer bows must be much more forgiving because the LX I bought last year shoots like a dream compared to the bows I started out with. Just my .02 and I hope you get more enjoyment out of it than I could get out of my "bargain bows"
There are "cheap" bows and then there are decent bows that are just a few years older than most people care to consider using. For me, if they shoot well who cares how old it is? I shot a old Browning Trophy Magnum for years and killed many deer with it before I bought my Browning Boss Tracker and it's still my backup bow. Many here would consider my Boss Tracker to be "old" But I see no reason why I should buy a new one. I'm a big guy and it fits me good (40in AtoA) I'm not a speed freak but it's plenty fast, I'm shooting telephone poles (33in 540grn arrows) at approx. 260fps. It's quiet, accurate and very reliable. What more can you ask for?

I can buy ANY bow I want, I didn't bust my a$$ to get into the NFL just to blow all of my money. I just don't see why I NEED to buy the newest fastest thing out there......just to say "look at me, I have the newest fastest thing out there"?

I'd still be shooting my Trophy Magnum today if I didn't find the Boss Tracker at my local pro shop sitting way in the back collecting dust, never been fired. I got a great deal because nobody was going to buy a bow that had a 31-33in draw that was a few model years old and they knew it.....not with all of the latest greatest slick shooting bows out there going for $700.00 and up.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:23 AM

bigj, what team?

Quick Reply: Removing Paint From A Bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.