Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Vanes Vs. Feathers

Old 03-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Vanes Vs. Feathers

I'm sure this topic has been posted many times before.... Just curious as to people's preferences, Vanes or Feathers? and why?
I am currently shooting feathers, but may switch to vanes on my new arrows soon. Any comments on Duravanes? Also, is there any complications w/ vanes used w/ a whisker bisquit?
Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Vanes Vs. Feathers

Going from feathers to vanes... that's nutz!!!! There is only one benefit to vanes over feathers... And that is hunting in the rain... (hard rain) I hunt in light rain and mists and never had a problem with my feathers... Feathers stabilize the arrow faster, way more forgiving (if it were to come into contact with something in flight), lasts way longer (vanes tend to warp and stretch and get wavey after a short time) Even with a notch or two missing from a feather, it will fly flawlessly... Pull an arrow with vanes all the way through a target and an arrow with feathers.. Vanes will be shot, feathers will return to perfection... After shooting a deer with feathers, I just wash them off in warm water and let them dry... Fluff them up and good as new... Nope, I will never shoot vanes... The only time I might is using the quick spins for indoor competition... And even then, quick spins are only beneficial at longer yards (takes a bit to get them really spinning)... 20yds and under, feathers are just as good...
Old 03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I carry both but prefer feathers, their better looking. Vanes and a whisker bisquit? If you know to ask the question you know the answer. Kind of makes me wonder why you are askling.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:22 PM

i used feathers for awhile. but got another dozen of arrows with vanes on them.my next arrows will definately have feathers on them.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:09 AM

Feathers!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

The reason that I am asking NODOG is that I just picked up a dozen arrows fletched w/ Duravanes at a great price. I have never shot vanes before, just feathers. I was just curious how much of a difference I'd notice (if any) shooting up to 25 yards. Again, since I have only shot feathers through my Biskit, I didn't know if vanes were no good for it. That's all...
Old 03-15-2005, 05:03 PM

I shoot vanes through my whisker bisquit (Mathews Outback) without any issues and have shot them hundreds of times without any issues. If they get a little wavy just heat some water, not boiling, and stick the fletchings in and spin slowly until they straighten out. Some people have issues with the vanes eventually peeling back so just put an extra dab of super glue on the leading end and you'll be fine. I've never shot feathers but I'm sure they work great.

Butch
Old 03-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Feathers are lighter, more durable, more forgiving, faster, stabilize better, and a bit more expensive. Shoot em, and you'll see.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:44 PM

Feathers. Light, durable(regardless of what people say), better flight characteristics, and they look cool!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:34 PM

Are you guys telling me that feathers are better then 2 inch bohning blazer vanes? More durable? More accurate? Faster? Hmmm, I'd have to see that because these bad boys are the most accurate fletchings I've ever seen and the best pro shops here in my area (west central Wisconsin) swear by them for fixed or mechanical broadheads.

I'm all for shooting feathers if they're better but I just don't think they are. Seems that more people would be shooting them if they were and they're definately the minority from what I've seen.

IMHO,

Butch

Quick Reply: Vanes Vs. Feathers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.