Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Vanes Vs. Feathers

Old 03-16-2005, 10:43 PM

Default RE: Vanes Vs. Feathers

Yes Butch, IMO after 25 yrs. in archery, I think they are better.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chausler, I find one nice advantage about feathers when mentioning durability. They can be raggedy, torn up, partially torn off, worn down, or whatever and still stabilize an arrow as well as or better than vanes. This is mostly due to the fact that they weigh next to nothing so do not throw the rotational balance of the arrow off like vanes will if they get torn up. They will, however make a little more noise.

I've actually shot arrows that only had two feathers, and even one feather on them and they worked OK. Of course it has a lot to do with how well the bow/arrow combination is tuned in the first place. If the tune is good the fletching has less to do to straighten the arrow out leaving the bow and only has to spin the arrow to keep it on track.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

People who use feathers are in the minority?!?!? where are you from?? LOL Yes, for target shooting in controlled environments and outdoor on calm sunny days, those 2" vanes shoot great!!! The reason most users use them is thier lighter so they get more speed... BUT, for everyday shooting, hunting, skimming the ground, blowing through targets YOU CANNOT BEAT FEATHERS... It is a fact... plastic stretches warps and goes to pot... Then they fly like crap... Worn out feathers fly like new...

Feathers will give greater arrow control and guidance
Feathers will make bow tuning easier and less critical
Feathers will increase your arrow speeds giving flatter trajectories
Feathers will increase the usable spine range of arrows
Feathers will decrease chances of brush deflection
Feathers are up to 500% lighter than plastic
Old 03-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 3-4" feathers. I shoot finger style and the feathers correct faster than vanes.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:44 PM

How much more quiet are the plastic compared to the feathers. When shooting out 40yds, how much will the feathers slow down the arrow???
Old 03-19-2005, 06:58 PM

One more quick question....or two.

Is 20 bucks a good price for 50 feathers??? Can they be glued right to a carbon arrow?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is virtually no difference in drag at 40 yards with feathers compared to vanes when jigged with the same amount of off set or helical. Vanes seem to carry a bit farther at longer distances, say 50 to 60 yards. I shoot competition hunter/field rounds and use 3-4" feathers, as do most of my competition. Your second question on cost of feathers: Quality feathers are priced from around .25 to .37 cents each. The barred or multi-colored camo feathers will be a bit more, between .40 and .55 cents per feather. I like the plain feathers for hunting and the imitation, barred feathers for competition. Just looks, no difference in fligh characteristics.
Good Hunting...
Old 03-20-2005, 06:12 AM

Are tru flight feathers good to use? Can I glue feathers on my carbons just like my duravanes or should I do something different?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone who says that feathers are more durable than vanes is crazy!! There are advantages to both feathers and advantages to vanes I would definately not give feathers the advantage in the durability department!! I have shot both and like them both. But I prefer vanes because they are quieter and more durable and also weather resistant!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, a couple comments here please.

funeralplanner, #20 for 50 feathers is pretty high. The going rate these days is about $24-$25/100. This being for 4" dyed ones. Guess I get lucky once in a while. Last batch I bought was 4" Black for $2/100. Everybody think they have to see their arrows go. Not me.

Lung Buster, I would never argue that feathers are more durable than vanes, depending on what your definition of durable is. I have been shooting long enough with bow to know that if you tear half a feather off, or they are ratty and all worn to smithereens they will still do a good job, albeit a little noisier. Tear a little chunk out of a vane, and because they are so much heavier, it will upset the rotational balance of the arrow. Once vanes start curling from making contact with a rest or whatever they will flutter which makes noise.

I have actually weighed 4" vanes in our shop (no brand, please) and found them to be horribly inconsistent in weight. Some weighing as little as 8.8gr and up to 15.2gr, all from the same branch. The average falling somewhere around 12.2gr. That me OK for a guy with a grain scale that can weed out the bad ones, but how many people have one and can do this. The same goes for shops that refletch. And how many people even know that they can vary so much? And what about arrows that are already fletched when you buy them? Do you think someone weighed all those vanes and matched them up?

This is a couple of reasons I don't use vanes anymore. Another is that I'm a speed freak. I like to see higher numbers on my chrono. The other is that I like shooting tight groups and I would be tearing vanes to pieces enough that I'd be refletching on a weekly basis with vanes. Feathers it doesn't matter. I get one torn up I just rip it off and keep on shooting.

Quick Reply: Vanes Vs. Feathers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.