Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 What to look for in sights >

What to look for in sights

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What to look for in sights

Old 02-15-2005, 06:53 AM

Default What to look for in sights

First of all, let me say I have really enjoyed talking on this forum. Being new to bowhunting, I have gotten alot of good tips from here & from the other forums. Thanks to everyone. My question is, what do you look for when buying sights for your bow. Do you focus on the pins, the material its made out of, the light gathering capability? I've seen where alot of you guys use spot hog & copper john. What makes them different from, say trophy ridge? What do you guys focus on when buying them for yourselves. I get confused because there are so many differnet kinds out there. Its kinda like broadheads, I would like to try them all out, but dont have the money to buy them all @ one time. I dont mind trying different ones as the years go buy, but I dont want to buy something cheaply made. Thanks for the input. O yea I forgot to ask. Is having the "level" on your sights a must. I mean will it increase your accuracy enough to where buying sights with one on it is necassary?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:27 AM

Default RE: What to look for in sights

Most important to me is the construction of the site and the materials that it's made of. It must be light, solidly constructed out of metal. The pins should be bright and also well protected so that they are not destroyed easily when walking to your stand if it should catch a branch. The site should be easy to adjust but at the same time solid in the fact the pins will not move unless it is being adjusted.

There are many good sites on the market. You can easily spent $100.00 on a site as I'm sure you know. My personal preference lies with a Vital Bow Gear Trapper. They make a few other sites as well and shouldn't be overlooked when in the market.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most important to me is the construction of the site and the materials that it's made of. It must be light, solidly constructed out of metal. The pins should be bright and also well protected so that they are not destroyed easily when walking to your stand if it should catch a branch. The site should be easy to adjust but at the same time solid in the fact the pins will not move unless it is being adjusted.
Excellent reasons for choosing your sites,exactly what i.m looking for as well.Thats why I chose my Copper John.I am also thinking on purchasing the Cobra Sidewinder LX this year,I was pretty impressed with this site.

O yea I forgot to ask. Is having the "level" on your sights a must. I mean will it increase your accuracy enough to where buying sights with one on it is necassary?
The main purpose of the bubble level on your site is to help prevent you from torquing your bow.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

My needs are much like adams'. I will add the following preferences for myself. The sight has to have wrapped fiber optics for brightness during fading light. It cannot used a light with batteries. Batteries can and will burn out while on stand. Most of the batteries cost about $3 each and most sights use about 3 of them. I also MUST have a sight that is microadjustable for windage as my playing and tinkering never cease. Of course it goes on a different bow every year or sometimes two or three a year. I have come to like single-pin adjustable sights for their versatility. They can be adjusted for varying distances when practicing or shooting target and 3D, then just locked down to a specific yardage (25 yards) for hunting. Having only one pin also has the advantage of cleaing out the clutter (too many pins) making for a cleaner sight picture. Also at the moment of truth, as we call it, there is no possibility of picking the wrong pin, so when you miss you can't lie your way out of it. Oh, and I do think itwas mentioned that I prefer all-metal.

Good sights cost more. Let's face it. It takes more time and effort to machine a piece of aluminum than it does to mold a piece of plastic. But it will last much longer and most times give a lot less problems over the years. You'll notice as time goes on that bows do not make much noise these days, but cheap accessories will rattle.

And of course, you have to work within your own budget.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:33 PM

ditto!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:10 PM

I have some different needs from other people. I don't care about pins. I have never had problems seeing my pins, I have trouble seeing the target. I hate the trophy ridge pin design, I have never know anyone to really shot it and like it. Sight has to be strong because some idiot I know likes to drop bows... from trees. It also has to be at least 4 inchs from the bow and adjustable. As for the level, most shooters that I have talked to get there bow level before the draw and don't worry about it after that. I don't like the cooper john (I hate to say it but I have no reason for why I don't like it however I don't) Always had good luck with extreme, I have a viper that is a cheaper version of the extreme(It's ok however, when I bought it the green pins were different lengths then the red[:@]) Other than that it has been a good sight. Vital Bow gear gave me a sight for 20 bucks to try and promote there sights, the darn thing wouldn't go high enough.[:@] I don't know if they have fixed this problem that was the beg. of last season. Find something you like.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate the trophy ridge pin design, I have never know anyone to really shot it and like it.
Hi I'm Doug from Wisconsin!

Now you know somebody that actually shot a Trophy Ridge and LOVED it!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 PM

BOW why do you like it over standard pin designs? You shoot the 3rd pin down and you can only see 2 sides of whay you are shooting. It's a first for me ever one I know was 1 and out.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ewolf

How can you say that I dropped my bow froma tree? You don't even know me!!!!!!!LOL

That's why I have no time for plastic sights. Or sights with plastic on them if I can be more precise.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

look for one that says copper john

Quick Reply: What to look for in sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.