Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

new here

Old 02-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Spike

Default new here

hey, there's a lot of bowhunting only public land around where i live and i'm lookin into gettin an entry level bow without breaking the bank. any suggestions for an entry level bow thats still high quality?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:34 PM

Default RE: new here

Welcome jip. I would recommend going to a local pro shop and see what they have to offer. A lot of times you can pick up a real nice fully equipped used bow at a reasonable price. You'll be supprised what you can find. Again, welcome, and good luck.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Spike

thanks, i've been lookin at a few on ebay, feel safer buyin from a store though
Old 02-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Welcome! I picked up a bow for the first time last July. I started out with a Reflex Excursion. I would suggest Reflex for a good bow at reasonable cost. I would suggest the Superslam or the Timberwolf. They will definitely give you room to grow into them. I out grew the Excursion very quickly. Go to a proshop. You need to find someone that will be there to service you. Ebay won't! Good Luck!!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also recommend you look at Reflex bows. I bought a Reflex grizzly for my return to bowhunting and find a lot of value with that bow. They are made by Hoyt and are basically 1 or 2 year behind technology compared to modern Hoyts for half the money.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:54 AM

You might also consider a Reflex Buckskin. They're relatively short, with a forgiving brace height, and fairly light (under 4 lbs). I really like mine.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jip, welcome to hell. OK, it ain't so bad. You'll find out.

Good idea for you to go to a shop, at least to get fitted for the right drawlength and weight you can handle. The other reason is that once you have the thing somebody has to set it up and later service it for you. Buy from a local proshop and you'll have an easier time of it.

That being said, I would recommend seeing what that local shop has that fit your budget, Try a few bow and see what feels good to you. Some ideas are the Parker Buckhunter package. Nice bow for about $300. Not top-speed but you ain't paying for it either. Some other bows are the entry level ones in the Martin lineup. Very good quality and nice and quiet.

Just depending on how your budget is don't be afraid to get a used bow. There are a lot of guys like myself that get a new bow every year. What I had last year has not been abused, believe me. So just keep this as an option.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Spike

any good bow shops in sc?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:25 AM

Welcome to the board!!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you know any bow hunters. Most would be glad to help you out. They maybe looking to upgrade, just ask.
I've bought several off ebay and haven't been burned in that department yet.
A good pro shop is a good place to go but not all are good. A small shop is looking to make money, they need to. What they have may not be all that good but it is what they sell so that is what they will push. it's just the way it is. I think that you should make a pest of yourself in as many shops as you can before you spend a penny. Then after you have shot their bows several times and compared the specks of each finding similarities in the ones you shoot the best disregard the rest and start the bargaining. When you find the one you want say no more about price because at this point they will have earned your business. Let them recommend the set up and go with it. Be sure to recommend the shop to others and ask them to mention your name when they go there. There's no hurry. Take your time and don't be rushed.

As many have said already the reflex bows are well made.

The rest is up to you.