Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 One, Two Three or more pins? >

One, Two Three or more pins?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

One, Two Three or more pins?

Old 02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default One, Two Three or more pins?

What do you think is the best amount of pins to have on a sight. I am hunting in wisconsin for whitetail deer.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: One, Two Three or more pins?

In my opinion three pins are plenty. I set my sight up in 10 yard increments starting at 20 yards. So the top pin is at 20 middle 30 and bottom 40. It is all personal preference though. I would not feel comfortable making a shot longer than 40 yards at a whiteltail anyways. At least not ethically! I am not that good of a shot yet. Hope that helps. Good Luck!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I ONLY USE ONE PIN I AM ACCURATE OUT TO AROUND THIRTY YARDS BUT MOST OF MY SHOTS HAVE BEEN TWENTY YARDS OR LESS
Old 02-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am also a one pin person. You should consider your average yardage, speed of the bow, and you personal limits. Maybe two pins will be needed. Or how about a single pin/adjustable sight? These aren't as complicated as some people think. I use one, but set it for 25 yards most of the time. It allows me to make ethical shots anywhere from 5 to 30 yards with a mid-chest hold on deer. And 30 yards is fairly long here in the East. I do like the cleaner sight picture that a single pin offers. I use the HHA OL-5000. I llok for things like all metal construction (no plastic, please), a bright fiber pin (my eyes are old), micro-adjust for windage, and a lifetime warranty. This is just one idea.

Were I to use a multi-pin sight I'd most likely have two pins, set for 25 and 35 yards. Not that I need a 35 yarder. I can easilyshoot accurately farther than that. It's just that to set it at 30 yards it would be too close to the 25. I'd rather have a bit of gap so I can gap shoot that 30 yarder, should the opportunity arise.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it depends on how fast your bow is and how far you want to shoot. My bow is shooting fast enough to have 1 pin for 0-20 yards. Some guys have one for 0-30. For me I have one pin for 0-20 yards, 1 for 30, and I might put a 40 yard pin in. But It just depends on you fast your bow is and how far you want to shoot.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:50 PM

If your here otu west(Wyoming) you need four pins.20,30,40,50.For deer top of the back is 60.for elk about 4-5 inches down from top for 60.I've never had to shoot 60 yards at an elk.but for muleys 60 yards is not uncommon.I know its a long shot but if you practice that distance daily its not to hard a shot.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I'm hunting moose I'll go with my Spott Hogg sight set at 20,30,40,50,and 60yrds since you can be hunting some very open area's and it's not uncommon to come across a bull at long range.When I'm home hunting whitetail I'll use my Impact Archery Cosmic single pin shooting 0 -30yrds .

nubo
Old 02-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with lung buster. A 20, 30 and 40 are perfect for hunting. If you gap, or center your target between the pins you have accurate setting for 25 and 35 yards. The more pins the better the chance of using the wrong pin when the action starts and your a bit excited.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

I like 1 pin... I replied to your HHA 5500 Q...
Old 02-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

1 pin set at 25 yards. I can easily shoot out to 35 yards with it. I'm not comforatble shooting at a deer any further than that. But, since I have a moveable sight I do have a mark for 40 yards which overs from 35-45 yards.

1pin = K.I.S.S.

Quick Reply: One, Two Three or more pins?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.