Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Too Quick to Judge?

Old 02-08-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Too Quick to Judge?

I made the big switch to mechanical broadheasd this past year and lost my first deer ever......[:@]

I was a lifelong Muzzy fan, and finally fell for the Spitfire mechanical, after hearing its praises from all my friends.

I shot a buck this fall, after staying in the tree too long, and letting it get too dark, and clipped the shoulder blade. The arrow went in maybe 2" past the broadhead, the deer took off, broke off the arrow on a tree, and left me maybe 12 drops of blood for 200 yards. I looked for three days, even took a day off work, and never found him.

Now, I realize the shot was bad, and that was my fault. But, I think if I had been using my old trusty Muzzys, the results would have been different. I think I will go back to Muzzys next year, am I being too quick to judge?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:48 PM

Default RE: Too Quick to Judge?

I would go back to the muzzys. This is what mechanical broadheads lack. When you hit a deer good they will work fine. However when you miss and whack the shoulder they are... let me think of the word.... Junk? You can also give magnus stingers a try.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have to have the proper setup to shoot mechanicals. I don't know what you're shhotng but I have shot a 2" mechanical clean through a deer at 20 yards several times. Not all of those shots were the best either. I love Spitfires and they do an awesome job on deer. You just have to have the right setup. I think we do tend to jump the gun and blame the equipment for failure when it may or may not have been the equipment's fault.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:46 AM

FYI

PSE Carrera @ 70#
29" draw
XX78s
100gr Spitfires

Should be ok to shoot mechanicals with.

That's why I posted, I want to decide what to do, go back to what I know works, or keep trying the mechanicals. I couldn't bring my self to go back out after wounding that buck, so I didn't try them on anything else or with a better shot........

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 02-10-2005, 10:46 AM

Most problems with mech broadheads is that people shoot to lite of an arrow. I have shot spitfires for five years and gream reapers this years. I have shot deer from right under me out to 46 yards. Have shot 18 deer with them, all past throughs but one straight down that hit the spine. My finished arrows weight any where from 400 to 440 grains. Shoot a heavy enough arrow and you should not have any problems. People every year with all kinds of broad heads have problems. Should what you perfer. But good made mech work great.

Scott
Old 02-10-2005, 01:00 PM

I want to decide what to do, go back to what I know works
Why would you switch from something that works? I've been shooting Thunderheads
for about 15 years and my big switch was going from 125 to 100s.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:22 PM

Ditto what Justhunt said. If somethings workin' why change? I would go back to your Muzzy's and never look back.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:01 AM

i would also go back to the muzzy's if you had good luck with them
Old 02-12-2005, 09:01 PM

I also tried Spitfires this year and was not impressed. I went back to muzzys for the rest of the season. There are lots of good fixed bladed broadheads to choose from and just as many opinions to go with them. Yes, I sercombed to the temptation myself, but I'm back to fixed blades and never looking back. And, why not when they group with my field points well past hunting ranges.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with ewolf. Go back to a fixed broadhead either Muzzy or Thunderheads. Just one less thing to go wrong. The main purpose for the mechanicals is for people who don't take the time to tune a bow or are still looking to break the speed of sound with mismatched equipment to gain extra speed. Now THAT'S downright stupid.[:'(]