Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New Bow hunter

Old 02-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Bow hunter

O.K.

I have decided to take up bowhunting... I hate cold weather and want to lengthen my deer hunting season. I have to admit, this is going to be a challenge for me, I ussually take most of my rifle/muzzleloading shots at +40 yards... Anyway... I want to get my first bow (at least since I have been a teenager). I don't even know where to start. I have talked to some people at the counters of local hunting shops, and have a subscription to Bowhunting Magazine.

My initial opinion is that everyone has one (opinions that is!) It seems worse than rifles... "You have to go with a Parker, Hoyt, etc. " pr "a PSE will do you fine.."

Anyway... After muddling through all the opinions it looks like the Hoyt VTEC is a good choice, and I should get a good fall away rest, and a good "wrap-around" fiber optic sights.

Help a new guy out, does that basically make sense? I don't mind spending around 1,000 dollars if it makes sense. Also is it possible (I know it probably isn't the best) if I were to share the bow with my father, he is approximately the same arm length as me (probably within 1 or two inches).

I also feel very uncomfortable shooting at these local stores even though they will let me... It has been 15 years since I have picked up a bow, so I wouldn't really be able to tell the "feel" difference between them anyway.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Bow hunter

NewGuy!

If I were you I wouldn't be spending 1000.00 just to find out whether you like the sport ,There are many other good choices you can make if this is the case and should be able to do it for $500.oo or under .The very first thing you have to do is choose a couple model's from 4 or 5 manufacturer's. But you definetly have to shoot each bow a few time's in order to find out if it feel's as good as it look's ,there's nothing worse than buying something and getting it home just to find out it doesn't feel or look right .After you break down about 8 choices down to 2 choices you'll now begin to understand the difference in the feeling and what feel's right to you .The rest is up to you, and no one but you, should make this choice ,you have to be the one that's happy with your choice .
As for your father sharing the bow with you ,well I personally wouldn't but if your just planning on hunting a little with it ,you could probably get away with it if your father is the SAME draw length ,a couple inch's is just too much .You don't want to be changing mod's and making string adjustment's etc ,etc. all the time. That's probably what would happen unless your the shorter draw and you decide not to make those necessary adjustment's and just go ahead and shoot or hunt with it anyway ,what will happen is you'll be here asking why your arrow's aren't grouping and why are you getting wrist slapping [that hurt's] why are you getting fly off's and the list can go on this can work both way's .So unless dad has the same draw length to within a 1/2 inch then I'd forget that idea.
If your about to spend a grand on a bow ,then I'd be thinking that your like I am, a die hard and I don't like to share my bow with anyone at least not my new bow ,my spare is a different story .
If your going to spend a grand on a bow, why don't you take dad and buy 2 bow's for $500.00 each and you's will both be happy.You can find some awsome deal's right now for last season's model's .
Good luck I'm not trying to desuade you from buying a Hoyt Vtec, because it's an awsome bow . I was reading between the line's that bowhunting wasn't really a priority since you sound as though your pretty avid with the muzzleloader and rifle as it is ,so I would see no sense in putting that kind of money on a bow that I wasn't going to be hunting or shooting with all the time. It's very easy to sink big moneyif you want .But I'd reccommend you go with half the price for now and next season you decide you want to get into it a little more then you can alway's upgrade ,and dad he can do the same .But if the Vtec is your choice be sure you shoot it a few time's before forking out the money.

nubo
Old 02-06-2005, 05:25 PM

Hey Newguy! Nubo has given some sound advice, I'll throw a couple thoughts your way as well.

Like Nubo suggested, I would reccomend against spending a $1000 right off the bat...there really is no need. As a new shooter you probably couldn't tell the difference between a $700 2005 bow or a used $400 2004 model.

You need to overcome your fear of shooting in the shop, as that is the only way you'll have even a reasonable guess as to what you will like. I know you've probably read this a hundred time, but go to a pro shop and tell them your situation. Then try out some of the bows they have. At the very least you should be able to determine your draw length.

Last month I picked up a 2004 Bowtech Mighty Mite, and it's a terrific little bow. Another bow I could heartily recommend would be a Bowtech Patriot. As for Hoyt, I've never shot one you I can't comment, other than there a lot of people that love 'em. Same goes for Mathews...all I've shot is the Switchback, and it's a definitely nice bow.

Goodluck!

EDIT: Oh yeahanother idea that would work well for you is to pick up a "package deal". Basspro/Cabelas have quiet a few nice packages with everything you need to get started for $500.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice!!!

I will definately go and try out some bows... I just need to go a time when they are less busy...

The reason I don't mind spending $1,000 up front is I would hate to end up getting into something buying relatively inexpenseive equipment, than having to upgrade later. It is a time issue for me. I would rather start with a bow that I will have for a long time. I did this with my Muzzle loader and couldn't be happier (rifle as well).

The bow I have played around with most is the VTEC... Is their another model out their in the same price range/options that would be good to check out.

I thought you guys would have that view on sharing... If there was a year I was unable to hunt, could my father get the bow adjusted for him, so he could use it? Then the following year I could adjust it back.

Thanks again...
Old 02-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are all kind's of bow's out there that you probably would like and could pick up in the same price range including a few accessories .BowTech [If you couldn't tell is my favourite] but might not suit yourself,but then again it might,Mathew's is a top line bow ,Hoyt ,P.S.E make's a good bow ,the list can go on and on .I reccommend you find a repitable shop in your area and see what they sell .I can tell you which bow's are top of the line but I can't tell you which bow is for you because what feel's right for me might not be right for you it's all a matter of feel .
.I understand how you feel about buying the best up front ,I'm very much like this myself except when I was unsure whether I was going to like the sport or not. That's how I felt when I bought my first bow .I bought a 1 yr old Golden Eagle Splitfire, and shot it for 3 year's but knowing that I knew now,just how much I liked this sport .That's when I had decided to go all out and buy a top line bow .
Some bow manufacturers might have different mods for draw length's that you can purchase and are a quick fix,Some have enough adjustment that all you have to do is move the draw stop's.and if the draw length is 1/2 the I would just add or subtract a twist in your string which ever he needs shorter or longer [Just a temporary fix].
But definetly DO NOT buy a high end bow without test driving it ,you may be sorry if you do.
Hopefully I've helped

nubo
Old 02-07-2005, 08:51 AM

I just picked up a new Diamond by Bow-Tech on Saturday. I haven't touched a bow in 10 years and I already am able to shoot it consistently up to 30 yards, before my weak muscles, not the bow, cause me to get a little wobblly. I have nothing but good things to say about Diamond and Bow-Tech line of bows. I orginally was planning on spending 500-700 on a bow alone withough sights, rests, etc. However my local dealer suggested the Diamond line and assurred me that they would shoot just as well as the more expensive model,s (I payed 389 for my Rapture). And although I cannot say that I can compare my Diamond to an $800 Hoyt or Matthews but I can say that my new Diamond is more than I could have asked for.

I guess my best suggestion would be why spend 3-400$ more for a bow when you can get one for that much less that shoots just as well as the other. Now I am sure that an expert archery, or proffessional shooter could tell a slight difference in the two. But if you are looking for an excellent hunting bow I would defiantly check out the Diamonds. Bottom line is all Manufacturers are now using the same new technology, and differences in performance/bow preference seem to be a matter of personal style and comfort.

The thing I like most about Bow-Tech bows is they have a lifetime warranty, and have bows that are both reasonably priced and extremely shootable.

Hope this helps.

WWW.DIAMONDARCHERY.COM
Old 02-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

New Guy,
These guys have given you some of the best advice.
I to am geting back in the sport,I did what everyone told me,shoot lots of diffrent bows.I shot almost all of the major bow makers out there.I shot Hoyt,BowTech,Martin,Jennings,Pearson,Bear,Mathews, PSE,Reflex and Parker.It came down to the Switchback and the Hoyt-Ultra Tech,well I bought the SB and spent nearly a grand getting it all set up.
I looked at a lot of great bows and for 600 bucks total you can get a great package.I would look at www.huntersfriend.com they have som good deals and they helped me alot on the phone asking ?.I almost bought the Reflex Grizzly from them.
Just shoot and see what you like.

Almost forgot I looked at fall away rests also and I figured the less moving parts the better,I shot 2 diffrent ones the Trophy Taker and the Montana Black gold Trap door 4 both were good rests.
I opted for the New Whisker Bisket,wich I like alot.
Hope this helps BBJ
Old 02-08-2005, 12:39 PM

this is really good advise.

the way would look at it if i where you is this. a cooper will out shoot and be alot smother then a remington 710 or a cheaper gun right? well with a bow it dosen't really matter much to someone who is new to bow shooting. i bought a hoyt xt 200 last year because it was what felt good for me. i would agree and say your better off getting a $500 package bow. find one you like and shoots good for you and then you have what you need. then as you progress you could add newer "stuff" onto it. then finally when you decide you want a newer faster bow you have the accesories that you need.

i couldn't see spending $1000 on a bow that you won't notice the different from a $500 bow. will you notice the difference in 15 fps? and other small things that make the jump from mid line to top of the end? chances are no if you are just starting out. or you can get a great deal on last years bow because store are tring to get rid of them
Old 02-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Basspro while not necessarily the best proshop does have some pretty good package deals. I bought a reflex grizzly ( which is made by Hoyt ) with a 2 pc quiver, sight and rest for under 400 bucks. If i find I get more serious about archery I can upgrade but my grizzly would make a good backup bow for not much money. When we hunt moose we are a 2 day drive from home and pro shops so its best to be prepared for the worst situation. You might want to look at a used 1 or 2 year old bow also. I would not drop a grand right away.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]