Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Trophy Ridge

Old 02-04-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Trophy Ridge

I am wanting to upgrade to a sight with 5 pins, and a friend i met at the archery range has a Trohpy Ridge 5 pin sight that looks very nice. It's adjustable without a hex which is a huge plus in my book.

Any of you have experience with the Trophy Ridge Matrix sight? Any problems with it? I know several of you really like your Spott Hogg but I can't spend that kind of money.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:06 PM

Default RE: Trophy Ridge

If your really into the vertical pin style I would suggest chossing a different brand. I use the Copper John Dead Nuts for this reason. I was forwarned by my Archery Dealer from experience that the Trophy Ridge sight had one fall back, the unit tended to crack after time. I choose the Copper John model due to its durable machined-alluminum pin guard, which cracks in the Trophy Ridge model, bright pins and available afterburner light. Hope this helps
Old 02-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't give you a nickle for any of TR sights. IMHO they are one of the worst made sights on the market. The tool less design that is suppose to be so great will probably loosen up on you. Mine did and I know of many others that also had this problem.

I did a poll of AT and of the nearly 100 people that voted a full 1/3 of them had problems with TR products. Not too good in my book.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Montana Black Gold Dusk-Devil 2 5 pin.I also like the Copper-John Dead-Nuts
Old 02-07-2005, 11:59 AM

I have the TR Matrix, don't like it. Mine hasn't cracked yet. I also have the one with the wing nuts that have the hex screw in the middle so you can crank them down. As far as the verticle pins, I thought it would be the greatest thing put on a sight. Wrong. They suck. You have no way of gapping something, pins at 20, 30, 40, 50 etc. can't gap for 25, 35, 45 etc. I feel that it is difficult to get an exact placement due to the verticl pins, you can't see any of the animal all you see is a solid straight line from the bottom of their from leg to their back. I wouldn't buy a sight with verticle pins again.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. I love my Copper John, but when I found out the TR had a tooless design I thought about giving it a try. I've since come to my senses

I also found out that I can just buy more pins for my Copper John and add them to it to make it a 5 pin sight, so I've already got them on order.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:07 PM

Most who have used the "tool less" design ended up ditching the wingnuts and going to a hex head for the beefy mounts anyway. I know I did. As for the pin adjusting, it is OK, but I had to send mine back to get it re-aligned. The pins were not straight. I sold it as soon as I got it back and went to my CJ Pro III, which I LOVE. I have both pin sizes and this site rocks. Rumor has it that CJ may come out with a mico-adjust in March, which is my only complaint about this site. You may want to wait a month or so and see what comes out. I know I am.
JMAC
Old 02-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HYDE

I have the TR Matrix, don't like it. Mine hasn't cracked yet. I also have the one with the wing nuts that have the hex screw in the middle so you can crank them down. As far as the verticle pins, I thought it would be the greatest thing put on a sight. Wrong. They suck. You have no way of gapping something, pins at 20, 30, 40, 50 etc. can't gap for 25, 35, 45 etc. I feel that it is difficult to get an exact placement due to the verticl pins, you can't see any of the animal all you see is a solid straight line from the bottom of their from leg to their back. I wouldn't buy a sight with verticle pins again.
I thought the same thing when I saw it. Funny how buying things like these (I've bought a few) gives you that sixth sence. I've also found that when looking at archery products I appraise them based on things I don't want. The best way has got to be instinctive shooting. I'm going to work on that. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Trophridge Flatliner 5 pin and ended up selling because it was giving me problems. I like my Gopperjohn Pro alot better.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had problems with my TR and went to a Montana Gold Dusk til Dawn and have no regrets