Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Copper John trouble :(

Old 01-23-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Copper John trouble :(

I bought a Copper John Deadnuts to put on my new Mighty Mite. I was loving the sight, until today. The screw that adjust the windage on the sight has already gotten rounded on the inside (it's a hex). I emailed Copper John Corp. to see if they'll send me another screw b/c this sight is useless if I can't adjust it. Anyone else ever have this happen? I believe I was using the proper size to adjust the screw, but I slipped a couple times trying to loosen it, as this thing tends to need to be pretty tight to hold the sight window in place.

Now I need to figure out how to remove the screw if they do send me another.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:44 PM

Default RE: Copper John trouble :(

I have that same problem. Everything is dialed in on my bow, so I haven't worried about it, but I need to get it fixed before next season or when I switch arrows, etc. I did alot of adjusting when I first set the bow up, so I thought it was just me. Please let me know what Copper John's response is.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:47 PM

I havn't had that problem with my CJ sight! It has actually held up very well compared to alot of others that I have used which have had the screws strip out and hex screws have rounded rather easily! One thing that I do with my CJ is when I hear the first "pop" while tightening, I stop. It is tight enough for me and won't move and I am not pushing it too tight so it strips!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:54 PM

One thing that I do with my CJ is when I hear the first "pop" while tightening, I stop. It is tight enough for me and won't move and I am not pushing it too tight so it strips!
This is probably why I have this problem. I have probably over-torqued it a time or two. I am super paranoid that it is going to come loose on that hunt of a lifetime!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Remove it with a pair of vise grips and get a new one at your local hardware store. It probably won't cost more than 10 cents.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:16 PM

i agree with C-WOODS-SHOOT u could probably find one lyin around your house somewere or ask a neighbor.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:08 AM

Good news. I emailed Copper John Corp. Sunday and they mailed out a replacement Monday. So needless to say, I'm
Old 01-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The screws on any sight will do this. I go to my local harware store to find replacements. If this happens again and the screw can not be removed. Take a hacksaw blade and cut a slot in the screw head as deep as you can without ruining the sight. Then take a flathead screw driver and remove the screw. Glad to see that you got good customer service.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:50 PM

Another option is when you replace the screw, buy a better grade screw, such as a grade 8 or so. These are much harder, and will stip a wrench before stripping the screw, but be careful not to overtighten and strip the threads in the sight body.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:39 AM

Make sure your using the right size allen wrench. It shouldn't round off if you are. Also take BM's advice and stop at the first pop. The right size flathead screw driver will fit in the stripped head with a couple hits of a hammer. That should take the old screw out for you.

Quick Reply: Copper John trouble :(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.