Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Montec

Old 01-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Montec

I just got some new 85 grain montec broadheads. It was between the Montec broadheads or the Magnus stinger 4 blade broadheads. I went with the Montec's. Did I do the right thing?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Montec

P.S.E.

Both these broadhead's are very respectable heads in the market today.As for the Montec's I used them this season {100 gr G5's} and I had them grouping in a 6 inch circle at 50yrds, and it took very little adjusting from my fieldpoint's. I think that you've mad a great choice for sure .You just need to find out for yourself now.

nubo
Old 01-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bot are excelent choices.
You may as well have fliped a coin.

They both have their advantages and draw backs when looking at the two ddifferent styles.

The montec is one piece from head to toe thus making it incredibly strong. The downside to that is you have to resharpen them and if you happen to gouge a blade up real bad or break one the head is done.

The stingers use an aluminum furrel with a blade inserted into it. While this head is still strong it is not nearly as strong as the montec. The furrel can bend and the blade also sticks out there a good ways and can get bent on a hard hit. The plus to this design is you can replace the blades if yo need to and they have a lifetime warranty.

So, like I said, flip a coin. You still come out a winner regardless.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nubo and Bigbulls have spoken well!! I have used both the magnus and Montec heads with terrific results.

I see you are pulling 40 pounds. I don't think you are going to have a penetration issue, but if you find you are not getting the penetration you hoped for here is some food for thought.

It is commonly accepted that all things being equal a three blade head will penetrate better than a four blade, and a two blade will penetrate better than a three blade due to less friction. With your short draw, and low poundage (realitively speaking) I would test a quality two blade head and see if your penetration is improved over the three blade Montec. The Montec is a great penetrating head as it is really a three blade cut on contact head, so there may or may not be a significant difference. However unless you test it with your equipment one will never know.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:36 PM

You have made a good decision with the Montec (rest easy). I am a expandable shooter but went on a hog hunt in Texas last year and they would only let their bowhunters use fixed broadheads. So after not shooting one for about 5 years I was faced with picking one. I asked for opinions and was overwhelmed with the advise to try the Montec 100gr G5. It worked like a dream with no tuning problems. That trip I shot 3 hogs with them and dropped two of them in their tracks with shots right below the ear. A DEVASTATING BROADHEAD.