Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Looking for recurve advice & opinions... >

Looking for recurve advice & opinions...

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Looking for recurve advice & opinions...

Old 05-19-2002, 06:29 PM

Default Looking for recurve advice & opinions...

I haven't bow hunted for 20 years but I've got the bug real bad to get back into it.

I'm making plans to buy a bow and wanted some opinios on a few things.
I haven't keeped up with the latest gadgets or the latest technolgy.

It has to be a TD recurve,It has to look good and shoot as good or better than it looks. I'm not a speed freak,smoothnes,quiteness and accruacy are for more important to me.

These are the bows I have in mind. With Blacktail being the first choice. I know about the reputation of Black Widows & Bob Lee bows and they are in consideration. But what about these two guys? Does anyone have any experience with either one of them?

http://www.blacktailbows.com/

http://www.bpbows.com/

Most of my hunting will be wild hogs and coyotes. I'm thinking of a
#50-#55 bow weight. What I don't know is what riser length to choose,and what bow length. And what about all the limb choices,does one wood have an advantage over an other? I like the Red Elm and Bocote as far as cosmetics goes but what about Bamboo is it a better limb material?

I will probably use sights also so what is the minimal sight window I should look for if I want to use a 3 or 4 pin sight?

Thank you for your input
Old 05-19-2002, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking for recurve advice & opinions...

Mike, I believe a Black Widow MA series would fit the bill nicely! At any rate, calling the prospective bowyers would (IMO) be a wise move before you make a final decision. Best luck to ya pard!

Traditional archery is a journey, not a destination.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:08 PM

Hi Mike, I shoot a Roy Hall Navajo II recurve. It's a 62" takedown made of birdseye maple and cocabola. Check them out.
http://www.navajobows.8m.com/
Old 05-20-2002, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the board. You maywant to do a few things. First, check out the traditional section of the boards. There are a lot of excellent trad shooters there. Second, attend a traditional convention and check out bows at as many different proshops as possibly. Also try to shoot as many different trad bows as possible, inluding longbows.

If you are considering a Black Widow, then I suspect you are looking for one the best bows made. Buying one just from recommendations may not be the best way do go. You need to actually hold and shoot the bow before buying it IMO. Because every bow made fits different individuals differently.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several top notch recurve - I'd take hard looks are Horne and Sley - beautiful lines and people love them. A little pricy maybe but then compare it to a Widow and you'll feel better !

http://community.webshots.com/script...bumID=36497752
Old 05-21-2002, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

well said Bobco, I could not agree more. One of my bows is the 60'' Black Widow take down. I have been shooting it since 72' . Its a great back-up as it doesn't take up much room. I just received the new Black widow Catolog and there are so many options availiable. Just be willing to fork out the $$$$$$$$$$

E-mail: [email protected]
Ph 417-725-3113