Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

1st bow for wife!

Old 11-20-2004, 03:15 PM

Default 1st bow for wife!

Ok my wife has shown some intrest in artchery. She stated that she wonted to learn to shoot so that we would have somthing to do together.

She did this once befor but with hand guns and I bought her a sig trelside that she never shot.

I am going to give her the binifit of the dought this time because with the hand gun it was the BANG that scared her.

I am contimplating buying her a set up but I do not know what enexspinsiv, but reliubul set up to get for her.

I have not found out draw linth or anything yet for her.

Any help would be apreceated!

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Spike

Default RE: 1st bow for wife!

Id say take her to your local pro shop and have them find out here draw length and see what kind of weight she can comfortable pull back and go from there. I am sure they will plenty of packages for the lady bow hunter out there. Maybe taking her with you will let her get a feel for it and decides whether its really somthing she wants to do or is somthing she is going to drop.

If she seems real into it then it may be worth getting her a decent setup to start with and she will be able to use it for yrs to come. If shes not to sure about it then maybe find somthing cheaper or somthing used.

The holidays are right around the corner so u already got ideas for a gift for the old lady

The Bowtech LadyHawk is a nice bow but the price tags up there at around $450!
Old 11-21-2004, 08:18 PM

I would try some place like Bass Pro where she can try some Bear Buckmaster bows are pretty good and they come in packages, My buddie just got one at Wal-mart for 189.00 a and he really likes his he shoots carbons and its pretty fast to.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:23 PM

Yes I will have to take her to the bow shop and just see what we can come up with. Thanks for the replies!

I hope she gets into this and its not like whin I bought her the trailside.[&:]
Old 11-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let her shoot one first ,because if the bang from the gun scared her ,he'll get a surprise or 2 from a bow as well.But don't let her give up after shooting it just once ,it's not something she's used to so she'll have to shoot it for a while before she really get's comfortable with it. Then get her set up when she decided's it's not so bad and scary like the gun. There's no sense going and spending the coin if it's only going to hang on the wall. Or go ahead and get the best one you can find and you;ll have a new bow for yourself LOL.

nubo
Old 11-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listen to Aquakeeper. Just the fact that you are asking these questions means that you have limited knowledge about this, but are at least intelligent to ask. Here are a couple things to consider. Get your wife measured for the correct drawlength and see what she can handle VERY comfortably.

If you don't yet know what draw she should be then here it is. Measure her wingspan and divide it by 2.5 This should get you very close. Weight is going to be a personal issue.

Here's another reason to go to your local proshop. She should get a few lessons on shooting form. Grip being a very important one along with bowarm position. If she gets the right lessons she'll almost never hit her arm. If she hits her arm and gets a few strawberries you're gonna be in the same boat as the handgun. She'll quit. Let's face it. That string hurts. And don't think arm guards are the cure. They are only a coverup for bad shooting form or ill fitting equipment.

You want her to do things with you, right? Do it right. Take her where she can get the proper help.