Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Mech. Broadheads open or not?? >

Mech. Broadheads open or not??

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mech. Broadheads open or not??

Old 11-18-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Mech. Broadheads open or not??

I am curious to know how you know whether or not your Mech. Open completely or not. If I hit a deer whether it is a pass through or not the blades will flop back l to an unknown position at time of impact. As in my case very happy where my deer have lied dead not more than 40 yrds away but all my deer have been relatively easy level shots. I wonder to myself if the shot was other than easy would my mech. Work they way I expect. I shoot currently the WASP Jackhammer SST. The blades can and do fall back into place somewhat leaving you wondering did they all open. So how do you know how well they worked?
Old 11-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mech. Broadheads open or not??

If you recover your animal you should be able to measure a difference between the entry and exit holes in the hide if it is a pass through. As long as the entry/exit are different sized holes (some mechanicals will have a very big entry hole, others a very small one) you should know that your blades are working properly. On a non-pass through, you can only look at the entry hole. If you already have seen a few from your style of mechanicals, you should be able to estimate if it worked or not.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:33 AM

That's kind of what I was wondering if it would be the pattern on the animal left behind.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those same questions that you are wondering is why after 7 years of using mechanicals with mixed results I'm going back to fixed blades. I don't want to have any questions about blades opening after the shot. RockyMountain Ti 100's or Muzzy 100 4 blade are my top choices right now.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:57 PM

Absolutely, I do not want that beautiful buck and have a Mech. failure. So I am going Slicks. After all they are having some wonderful feedback and are made in Arkansas. So keeping a local business going and getting a top quality products makes me a confident hunter. Not saying that I have lost a deer yet, BUT!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's why I insist on using a mech b-head that WILL give me a FULL SIZE entry wound. The Rockets always have, probably why they are the number 1 mechs in the inductry? Time after time, full size entry and exit wounds and put down power that is second to none! Here's proof, this is the entry from a quartering away (as you can tell) hit with a Steelhead 100XP. That's dependability that you can count on!

Old 11-18-2004, 02:20 PM

Darn good camera too
Seriously though with some of the new fixed broadheads that have been proven to shoot just like field tips so why not fixed?

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

That's why I insist on using a mech b-head that WILL give me a FULL SIZE entry wound. The Rockets always have, probably why they are the number 1 mechs in the inductry? Time after time, full size entry and exit wounds and put down power that is second to none! Here's proof, this is the entry from a quartering away (as you can tell) hit with a Steelhead 100XP. That's dependability that you can count on!

Old 11-19-2004, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know they worked when you recover your animal Most heads will fully open after a few inches of penetration. The only 100% sure way to know is to compare the exit wound(if you have one) to the size of the head.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard people say that their mechanicals didn't work on deer they could not find. My qusetion is, if they didn't find their deer.....how do ya know? I have used Grim Reapors for 2 years and have not lost a deer. They open and cut a large hole everytime. I won't switch back to fixed blades anytime soon.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

"I have heard people say that their mechanicals didn't work on deer they could not find. My qusetion is, if they didn't find their deer.....how do ya know? "

EXACTLY!!! It ticks me off when I hear folks say that! [:@] I mean, it's just kind of funny to me that we someone looses a deer with fixed blades than you'll hear all kinds of different excuses, BUT when they screw up and happen to have a mech b-head on the end of their arrow then boy they just "know" that it was the b-heads fault! I just really get tired of hearing it all the time! Bottom line: shoot the deer in the "kill zone",.... that's why they call it that! NO b-head is gonna make a bad shot good. That being said, if my shot is a little off the mark then I'll take the bigger cut of most mechs everytime?

Quick Reply: Mech. Broadheads open or not??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.