HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Are There Stands For The Plus Size People? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/78570-there-stands-plus-size-people.html)

Aquakeeper 11-09-2004 09:37 PM

Are There Stands For The Plus Size People?

Just wondering what the best bet is for a plus size person over 300Lbs that is looking to be comfortable and safe in a tree stand. Is it best just to stay on the ground or use permanant wooden stands?

Thanks

5 shot 11-10-2004 02:31 AM

RE: Are There Stands For The Plus Size People?

Take a look at the Summit Goliath. It's rated to 350 and is very roomy and comfortable. It's a great stand overall and comes with a full body harness, foot rests and new tree strirrups to help with climbing. I think you will like what you see.

KBacon 11-10-2004 07:50 PM

Aquakeeper... also realize that ALL stands are severely under rated due to insurance purposes. The only differance I tell between the summit goliath and the viper is that the goliath is a few inches wider... the stands are only a few pounds different in weight... so it's not like the goliath is made any heavier than the rest of the summit line.

Two Beards 11-12-2004 10:44 PM

Here's a stand I would also take a look at. I've got 3 Wedge-Locs and a Chippewa Chief....best stands I've used. They also make a Brutis Maximus that has a weight limit of 400+, but I have not seen it myself.
Good people...good company:).

http://www.chippewawedgeloc.com/html/wedgeloc.html

Aquakeeper 11-13-2004 10:10 PM

That looks great! That is a fixed stand right? Anyone have any ideas if there is somthing similiar to the weight capicity for a climber?
Somthing around 375-400:(

russelllaw 11-26-2004 10:53 PM

I'm a big guy and I have the Ol'Man Grand ol' Man treestand and I just love it. Not the most comfortable seat in the world but I guess that's the price I pay for having such a huge a$$

Bmott 11-27-2004 09:41 PM

Aquakeeper,

Trust the Goliath, I weigh in a little over 300 lbs. without all my gear and the Goliath is solid as a rock. Easy to climb with, doesn't shift and real comfortable. I've been bowhunting over 35 years and it is the best climbing stand I have ever used.
As far as hang on models, I use Non Typical Outfitters, Lone Wolf and my trusty Sreaming Eagles. They work great. I am going to get one of the Chippewa Wedgelocks, probulay the Brutus Maximas by next season. I saw them at Harrisburg and they look super, a lot of money, over $200.00 for a hang on is an awful lot.
Good Luck,
Bmott

rewhaley 12-17-2004 10:37 PM

when your fat (as i am) it is nice to have the extra room and a shoot rail when one is 20 feet off the ground. the fall will not hurt you it is the sudden stop. i have used ol-man, loggy, loc on, amacker and summit is by far top of the pile.

texasaggiebowhunter 12-20-2004 03:19 PM

I bought the gorilla king kong and beefed it up a little. I added and extra chain and two ratchet straps. Also added a piece of chain on each side where the cables are attached. I weight about 300 and 6'5" and it doesnt budge with me.

BolognaSniper 12-23-2004 05:50 AM

I to am a big guy, for years i have used a 2 man ladder stand . this year i got a Gorila King Kong chain on stand . I love it, has the most comfortable seat pad in the world. They call it an air ride seat. Its not a huge stand but plenty of foot room . Im 290# i jumped up and down on it ( hooked to a tree close to ground level ) it didnt budge. By the way most climbing sticks and screw in steps are not made fro big people, I made my own set of steps al most like a stair case to get up to it.