Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Crimson Talon Expandables >

Crimson Talon Expandables

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Crimson Talon Expandables

Old 11-13-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Crimson Talon Expandables

I didn't like these broadheads from they day my dad bought them from the simple fact that the 2 fixed blades are intentionally bent. I just don't see how this could make it fly right, especially with helical fletch. Well today we put on a little deer drive and my dad hit a 7 pointer a little high at 15 yards. We found the arrow which blew through the animal. It didn't expand. I've used Shockwaves and Spitfires and have never had a problem. First shot with these junky broadheads and they didn't open up. Normally the arrow would have been covered in thick red blood where he hit, but it looked like it had been shot with a field point on it. I would avoid these at all costs.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:24 PM

Default RE: Crimson Talon Expandables

Thanks for the info on the Crimson's.i was looking at them,but haven't heard of anyone that uses them
Old 11-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stay away from them,bad news![:@]
Old 11-14-2004, 07:24 PM

wow thanks you just saved me some money!! i have been looking at them for awhile. thanks!

sorry to here the bad news though. did you get the buck?
Old 11-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's strange. I shot a deer 4 weeks ago with them and the performed perfectly. Blew completely through a buck's ribs and exited low then continued to pass through the lower portion of the hindquarter. Blew huge holes in and out. Even if they failed to open, the fixed blade would still kill the deer provided you make a good shot. That's why I like them, you get the best of both worlds; cut on contact fixed blade with a set of mechanical blades to boot.

Send em to me if you don't want em.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas
Even if they failed to open, the fixed blade would still kill the deer provided you make a good shot.
He didn't hit the deer in the greatest spot, but that doesn't give them any excuse not to open. The fixed blades by themselves have a very small cutting diameter as apposed to being fully open. I've hit deer high before and a decent broadhead will draw a lot of blood but finding the deer may be difficult. This deer had a few drops and thats it. No, we didn't find him but I'm sure he will live. It's not much different from him being shot with a field point.

Once the arrow passed through the deer it ran out of energy and just skipped off the ground. When I found it it wasn't sticking in anything, just laying there. Therefore they wouldn't have reclosed by pulling the arrow backwards. The mechanicals were still closed and there were some blood spots and fat chunks around them. The fixed blade was all streaky from blowing through the body. I opened up the mechnicals by hand and they were shiny new.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not trying to make excuses for them not opening. I'm just saying my experience was just the opposite of yours. If you look at all of the new broadheads they are going to smaller cutting diameters due to people using the large cutting diameter heads with too light a setup, plus the flight characteristics are better. The fixed portion of the head still has a 7/8" cutting diameter which is definitely bigger than a field point and plenty big enough to kill a deer provided that your shot placement is good.

As far as the energy issue is concerned, it sounds to me like he shoots a low energy setup. Mine blew through the deer at a quatering to angle at 8 yards. It went in tight behind the shoulder, came out low in the stomach, reentered the lower portion of the hindquarter, came out the hindquarter and still buried in the ground 6-8 inches. My bow is set at 71#, shooting a 405 grain arrow at 304fps and I have no penetration problems.

After re-reading your post, on one hand you say that
We found the arrow which blew through the animal.
Then you say
Once the arrow passed through the deer it ran out of energy and just skipped off the ground. When I found it it wasn't sticking in anything, just laying there.
Also you said he shot the deer high and had very little blood but that a "decent boradhead" will draw a lot of blood. I've shot a deer high using 2" Vortex 3 blade mechanical and I had virtually no blood. Regardless of what others say, I belive there is a "no man's land" between the vitals and the spine and more than likely does not result in a lethal hit. I belive that is where your dad hit the deer based on you saying there was very little blood and a lot of fat on the arrow.

I think you are using a less than perfect shot to bash the broadhead. The only complint I had with the one I recovered after my shot was that the mechanical blades could stand to be a little stronger because they bent a little and were dinged up pretty badly either from passing through the ribs or burying in the ground. Otherwise they seem to be a good broadhead to me.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:39 PM

OK, lets get back to the reason I posted this, they didn't open up. I'm not arguing that a better broadhead would have killed the deer. He didn't make a great shot and it probably wouldn't have. But what if he had made a nice shot? They still wouldn't have opened up. This is what I originaly meant to get at.

And his setup has plenty of energy. Mathews Feathermax 72# draw. Not sure of the arrow grain but they are Lites. I'd guess around 400gr.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jhalfhill

And his setup has plenty of energy. Mathews Feathermax 72# draw.
Well there's your problem right there, he's shooting a Mathews. [8D]

J/K. Seriously everyone is so quick to bash equipment because it fails them. Fact is, it's a mechanical piece of equipment and occasionally they do fail. I just think lots of people jump the gun and tell everyone that whatever it may be is junk just because they had a bad experience with it the first time they use it and to avoid it at all costs. I understand that you were trying to tell your experience with them but don't bash them as junk so quickly, my experience was just the opposite as yours but I didn't run around saying that they are the best broadhead on the market. I would say for me that they performed as well as any other broadhead that I have shot in the past. no better no worse. I do think they have great potential with their design though, they just need some stronger mechanical blades.

The earlier offer still stands, if you don't want to use them anymore I'll take them off your hands.