Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

API grandslam

Old 10-08-2004, 09:39 AM

Default API grandslam

Anybody have one of these stands? What do you guys think about them?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: API grandslam

I have a API Grand Slam Magnum Supreme. I bought it last season and I'm using it again to start this season but I don't think I'll be using it by the end of the year. While the quality of the stand is great I've found that it's too much on the heavy side. At 30lbs it's a pain to haul the stand deep into the woods. It's nice for those 200yard or less walks but after that it really weighs you down. I've had no problems whatsoever with the stand. It's quiet and rock solid. I'm just in the market for a light weight solution. Right now I'm leaning towards the Lone Wolf sit and climb stand.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have an api, so far i have had two problems with it. the first one is the footstraps and the strap that comes up behind you heels, hard to adjust. the other one is with the seat portion of the stand, gets in your way when you are trying to put the footstraps on, put the rachets around the tree, etc, if anyone came up with a solution for either one of these i would appreciate the information, right now i am fighting it all the way.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

anyone try the API Grandstand with the telescoping ladder? I might try on of these for a back-up stand. At 24lbs for stand and telescoping ladder. doesn't sound to bad.

My first stand is a lone wolf hand climber.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lee-
If my shooting star is anything like the grand slam, this is what I do. Regardng the seat portion getting in the way, try sliding the seat towards the bar that you sit on to climb, and get between the seat and the tree. You should still be able to sit down to climb, but the seat won't be in your way. As for the bungee cord around the heels, I find the only way to work that is to get the seat climber portion as close as you can to the platform portion to get that cord around your feet. Also, lift up your heels a little, otherwise the cord hangs on the foot opposite the one you are trying to put on. Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:54 PM

I hunt out of a grandslam bowhunter and am not happy with it for two reasons: (1)It isn't very secure up in the tree and (2) the cable system is a pain in the A*ss in the dark because you have to line up a pin with a hole in the frame and an open link in the chain. I made the mistake of trying to adjust the upper portion of the stand once up in the tree and I dropped the pin. I thought I was in trouble - 20 feet up in a tree and couldn't get down. Luckily I was able to use my safety harness to function as the cable and shimmy my way down.

I also have hunted out of my buddy's Summit Viper stand and that is far superior. Its cable system is easier to operate in the dark and there is no fear of dropping or losing a pin. It is also a lot more stable once up in the tree and the seat is more comfortable. I could sit in that stand for twice as long as I can sit in my grandslam.

So, if you don't mind spending an extra $50 I'd go with one of the Summit stands or similar.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my API, its secure once I'm at my 20' or 25' level, but I do want a Summit.

What I do before the season, when I scout I also look for a tree, and I climb it, once I'm at the height I like, and the stand is level I climb back down, then take tape and put over the band right at the point where the band enters the metal shaft area, then I know every time when I feed it through I'm set. When I climb I have the seat in between me and the tree, and yes 9 out of 10 times you have to lower the upper part down to lower part to get the bands around your boots
Old 11-09-2004, 04:40 PM

Push the seat all the way forward like mentioned.Then instead of using the foot straps, take and out your feet under each of the bars on the sides and tilt and climb like that. it's easier, faster, and you will have better control over it.I have the Grand Slam Supreme.It's been a great stand.I hunt from 25' to 30' and it's solid.