Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Shockwave Mechanical by NAP? >

Shockwave Mechanical by NAP?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Shockwave Mechanical by NAP?

Old 09-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shockwave Mechanical by NAP?

Bought some mechanicals shockwave by nap..........anyone ever use these.? They were on sale and i shot one that my brother in law had and they flew just like my field points, so i got em. What do u think?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Shockwave Mechanical by NAP?

Yes I purchased 3, 125 grain shockwaves and bought 3 more I liked the way they flew and I finally had ALOT of confidence in my range of shooting. No more tuning the crazy broadhead! The 2nd day in the stand I had a 7 pointer, 25 yards out. I shoot a mathews 31" draw 70lbs, The shot was good, may have skimmed a rib or front leg bone? But the arrow lost so much penetration that the arrow didn't do enough damage and he was never found! With deflection and penetration problems NO MECHANICALS worth it to me!

I WILL NEVER SHOOT A MECHANICAL AGAIN! JUNK!!!! go back to fixed!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:41 PM

They did a number on a 260 lb Illinois deer for me a couple years ago. I did not get it to break thru the skin on th far side though. I hit a little too far forward. My bow shoots about 280fps and it was only 10 steps. The buck only ran about 25 yards!
I think they are a 6 or 7 out of a scale to 10.

I shot a Grem Reaper last year with almost exact results, only a longer shot.(25 yds) I would score these about 8 out of 10. Not higher because of lack of penatration. Good result, but no exit hole.

I also shot a Snyper with great results! Pass thru on a HEAVY pig with 20 yd blood trail. I just have a hang up with thin blade on front .

I thought the G5 Tekan was going to be the answer,but it did not review well with 5shot.

To answer your question, Shockwave is a good head. I would not hesitate to use it if my only choice was walmart's choice of broadheads. There are better ones out there.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:22 PM

I have not used the Shockwaves but I have used the Spitfires and now the Scorpions with great results. I shoot a Buckmaster G2 set at 63lbs using CX Hunter's with Scorpion XP 100's. My arrows travel at 268fps. Last year I shot a 195lb buck at 25 yards with the Scorpions. The arrow made a clean pass through both lungs and buried itself 6 inches into the ground behind him. Buck only ran 30 yards and dropped. I then tagged a doe 2 weeks later. I have confidence in the Scorpions and like that fact that they fly like field points so for deer sized game, they are what I use.

Don't get me wrong about fixed blades though. I shot Thunderheads for years and loved them. I just had to make adjustments for where the fixed blades hit as opposed to were my field points hit. Could never get them to hit the same spot.

One thing to realize is that the broadhead makes a difference when the arrow gets there but it's up to you to make sure that it hits the right spot whether you use fixed blades or mechanicals.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Spike

I use them. I have shot 3 deer with them. All pass thrus. Good blood. No deer went more than 40 yards. I shoot light carbons at 230 fps. 100 grain Shockwave. Go hunt. They work fine.

Good luck.

Dayton
Old 09-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

Have had many people use them that I know, Mixed results is what I found, But what did it for me was a $3000.00 trip to Illinois that my father and I went on. First day in the stand a 140 inch buck walked right by me to my father and he shot it at about 10 yards broadside. We were only 40 yards apart so I saw everything. He was using 100gr shockwaves. He shoots it right behind the shoulder, good shot right! The deer jumps runs 20 yards and is about 15 yards or so away for me. I see the arrow buried right behind the shoulder so I don't shoot it figuring it going to expire quickley! So the deer runs off we get down and find no blood little bit of hair. So know I'm tracking it on tracks only. We find bits of blood for about 100yrds or so and decide to back off till later. We never found the deer, only thing i could think of was that the broadhead hit some type of bone and deflected down towards it's belly, that would explain white hair at the hit sight. 10 yard shot behind the shoulder at 270ft per sec. with a 450gr arrow at 70lbs come on. Something went wrong and it wasen't the shot. We even had lung blood on the track. Sounds weird dosen't it. My advice don't take the chance on them I wouldn't. There are plenty of better broadheads out there at the same price.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:14 PM

I killed 3 deer with the 125 grain Shockwaves last season and none of them got out of sight before expiring. All 3 shots were pass thoughs and one was a 44 yard shot. They leave huge entrance and exit holes. I think you will be pleased with these broadheads.

I am going to be using the Scorpion XP's this year which is basically the same head except for the cut on contact tip.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good heads, especialy for the money.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:22 AM

Used the Shockwave B.H. 2 years ago, like the way it fly’s had tight groups out 40 yards. I have mixed feeling on mechanicals B.H. What happened to me was not the Shockwave fault but a characteristic of mechanical B.H.

Had doe broadside to me at 23 yards took aim right behind the front leg. Just as I released the doe quarter away from me the arrow hit the doe she took one-step and drop I thought that I might have spine shot her. The next thing I know she pushing herself with her hind legs only under some cedar trees where I could not get a second shot at her then after about 15 minute she push herself out of my sight. After an hour wait got down from my tree stand and found a blood trail at a blind man could have followed after going 50 yards I jumped her out of a bed, I back out for the night. The next morning I found the doe still a live was able to put a second arrow into her. Upon butchering found out the Shockwave never entered the chest cavity but slid along the outside of the rib cage and under the hide towards the front leg where it cut the muscles and tendons of the front leg. The Shockwave did it job hit right where I was aiming all the blades open up, but because of the entry angle one of the blades caused the arrow to deflect outside of the chest cavity.

That a characteristic of mechanical B.H. make sure you have broadside shot and they work great, still think the Shockwave is a good B.H. and would recommend it to any one to use. Just remember with any mechanical B.H broadside shot only.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lou-lou

Have had many people use them that I know, Mixed results is what I found, But what did it for me was a $3000.00 trip to Illinois that my father and I went on. First day in the stand a 140 inch buck walked right by me to my father and he shot it at about 10 yards broadside. We were only 40 yards apart so I saw everything. He was using 100gr shockwaves. He shoots it right behind the shoulder, good shot right! The deer jumps runs 20 yards and is about 15 yards or so away for me. I see the arrow buried right behind the shoulder so I don't shoot it figuring it going to expire quickley! So the deer runs off we get down and find no blood little bit of hair. So know I'm tracking it on tracks only. We find bits of blood for about 100yrds or so and decide to back off till later. We never found the deer, only thing i could think of was that the broadhead hit some type of bone and deflected down towards it's belly, that would explain white hair at the hit sight. 10 yard shot behind the shoulder at 270ft per sec. with a 450gr arrow at 70lbs come on. Something went wrong and it wasen't the shot. We even had lung blood on the track. Sounds weird dosen't it. My advice don't take the chance on them I wouldn't. There are plenty of better broadheads out there at the same price.
So you are saying that the deer was shot through both lungs, regardless of broadhead, and it didnt die?

Quick Reply: Shockwave Mechanical by NAP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.