Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 need some input on scent free clothing! >

need some input on scent free clothing!

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

need some input on scent free clothing!

Old 09-05-2004, 09:45 PM

Default need some input on scent free clothing!

looking to buy some of the new scent free odor clothing on the market such as contain,x scent and metalist.tired of having to run to town and reactivating scent loc garments if you know what i mean.especially when i am out of town hunting.i wish they made all the pants with a elastic type band instead of the 2 in adj strap on the sides.im looking for something that is going to hold up well for a good period of time with out fading and is worth the money.somethinfg that can be used as a hunting garment in warm weather and as a under layer later on.the best place to find out is by you that have tried these products out for a period of time.all your feed back is greatly appreciated---thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Spike

Default RE: need some input on scent free clothing!

I just picked up a new jacket from Dicks Sporting Goods with Contain, bought it a size to big to allow for cold weather hunting with something underneath. I also picked up the socks and under armour from X-scent at: http://shop.eaglearchery.com/
Pretty hard to argue with the studies that are out there, and you can't beat the price.
Good-Luck
Old 09-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Hey WindLake Hunter, thanks for the tip on the eagle archery site. I just ordered the X Static top, pants and socks from them . Every where else I checked it was backordered. Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:23 PM

"FORGET THE SCENT FREE CLOTHING, HUNT THE WIND". As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of scent free clothing. If the deer is down wind, GAME OVER, no matter what you wear. Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Don
Old 09-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could give X-scent a ringing endorsement but at this point I can't.

Perhaps I expected too much however. I just returned from an eight day hunt where I was only able to shower once in that time. Conditions were extreme, hot and cold. Lots of walking up and down steep slopes and lots of sweating. I did wash my body down with a scent free handi-wipe type of cloth as often as I could but even with the x-scent on top and bottom I got winded when conditions were not favorable for me.

Again conditions were extreme. When hunting whitetails normally you can shower everyday, sometimes twice a day, but you don't have that luxury when elk hunting in the mountains.

Of course the outer clothing gets contaminated too in situations that I described so that compounds the problem. I will know more after the whitetail season is over.

For what its worth I can tell you this. After the trip when I was descenting my clothes again the x-scent top I was wearing just wreaked of B.O.!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Spike

Great real world application Antler! I was hoping this stuff would make it for the long haul! I've had a similiar expierence with scent blocker after a week in the field. I think all of this stuff is made for limited exposure unless its allowed to be reactivated or in this case with the silver stuff just washed with scent free detergent.
My new strategy this year is to keep an extra set of the cheap military chemical suit lined with charcol as a back up for my week trip.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

WLH ,
don't wear that MOPP suit if the temp is anything over 40 , you'll bake in there . Carbon is an excellent insulator because it encapsulates a lot of air . I save my MOPP suits for cold temps for this reason , they usually have a lot more carbon than civilian products .
Old 09-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Spike

Thanks kevin1, didn't think of that! I'm usually a weekend warrior until November so that should work great! Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Me too ,
my job doesn't allow much field time . I found out that little tidbit while hunting on a very humid 50 degree day . The blistering tequila and beer hangover wasn't helpful either ... [&:]