Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What arrow for hunting

Old 07-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What arrow for hunting

O.K here it is,I have always liked the A/C/C and have shot it years ago with mt baby-g and absolutely loved them,probably better then any i have used.Only problem is now i cant get a dozen of them for under $150,Getting a little to expensive for shooting in my back yard and occasionally at the range.I know you get what you pay for,and they probably are the best but come on,they are over pricing them for the average guy.
Currently I am shooting the easton epics,they started out well but now i am finding that the arrow is getting farther off target.I heard they have some spine and straighteness issues after continued use.
I have heard alot about the gold tips,especially the pro and hunter series,and am seriously considering these as well.
My dealer is getting some easton axis and obsession arrows in and the price isn't over powering.
Now here is my question----Is there an arrow on the market that is real good for target and hunting that will with stand alot of shots and still hold up after continuess use.Something that will also not break the bank.I currently have alot of money tied up in my bow and not afraid to spend a little money on arrows, but $200 come on.[:@]
Everyone give me some feedback on there arrow of choice.I am interested in the gold-tips,good arrow im told and the price isn't to bad either
Old 07-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What arrow for hunting

Yes there is indeed an arrow that fits the bill of what you're describing. I was also a die hard ACC user but actually wanted a non-bendable alternative. The arrow I found that truly seems to be of a higher quality is the Carbon Express CX 3D Select. These are the highest quality shafts that I've ever shot. I have found that many shafts especially the Easton all carbons will actually loose straightness fairly quicky. A dozen may roll great when you get 'em but a couple weeks of hard shooting later and over half will wobble. Buy the 3Ds and you won't have this problem. IF you order these excellent shafts buy tomorrow morning (7:00 AM) from Mountain Archery, you'll not only get the best price on shafts BUT you'll save an additional 10% on an already great price. Check 'em out?
Old 07-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Extreme1! I use the Gold Tip 3D pro's in 3555's I will be using them for 3D and for hunting moose. I was a little skeptical about using them for hunting but my Proshop say's that this is the arrow of his choice for both 3D and hunting moose and that there is no reason to use them for that size of game . I thought that they were a little pricey but I also put G-knock's on them with 4" Fletching's and i guess that's where the extra cost came from.If your finding that some of your arrow's are flying out instead of into the target then try turning your knock's so that your spline is turning towards the target and not outwards.

Anyway's just another word about the GoldTip's I really like them so far they seem to fly well and I haven't had any isssue's to complain about yet. I've used Gold tip hunters in the past and found them to be a very durable arrow as well.I changed to the Carbon Force 200, 100,s but found them to be a bit brittle but not a bad arrow as well,I felt that they flew pretty well and the price was very reasonable .After breaking a few I decided to go back to the Gold Tip's and so far so good. E-mail me if you have any other question's .

nubo
Old 07-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the responds guys.Il---I was also looking at the cx 3d selects,and they look to be a pretty good arrow,will call my dealer and get a price on them.
Nubo--I was also looking into the gold tip pro's as well but am giving more thought on the gold tip xt hunter.Again will price these arrows as well.
If your finding that some of your arrow's are flying out instead of into the target then try turning your knock's so that your spline is turning towards the target and not outwards.

Can you please explain a little further(not an arrow expert here-----lol)
The only time i turn my nocks is to line up the cock vein to have clearance on my rest.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Out of everyting I've tested.. GoldTip Pro series and CX 3D selects are the best with each having the advantage somewhere the other does not.

CX 3DS are tighter spined, but much more suscpetible to dings and whatnot that render the shaft unshootable. The Buff Tuff finish is also noisy...definitely need some silencing stuff on your launcher/prongs.

GoldTips are a little straighter (the Pros), and definitely tougher than the CX. They are also a tiny bit tighter in weight and you can order in "weight codes" like A/C/Cs so your next dozen is the exact same weight. They vary a bit more in spine, though It's not as horrid as they used to be. Despite the spine variation, they group very well even at longer distances.

For the $ the GoldTip Pro Hunters are hard to beat. If the CXs had the GoldTips durability I would recommend them above the GoldTips..as it is, it's pretty much a wash.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are the gold-tip xt hunters well worth the money or is it worth the extra $20 to go with the pro hunters.$20 bucks isn't enough to worry about but other then the .003 to .001 straightness factor are they equal to or better then one another in durability and longagivity(Spelling)
Old 07-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

What I mean Jason is if you have an arrow that consistantly shoot's left or right ,then turn your knock over so that the slight arc in your arrow is now curving in towards the center of your target ,instead of outwards .
I think Gold Tip's are pretty much the best arrow's going I've tried a few different one's but have come back to Gold Tip's ,as for whether the price makes a difference between the hunter's verses the pro's ,I'm the type of person who just has to have the best and I don't mind spending a few extra dollar's to get it . I've only had the pro's for about 2 month's now and I'm very pleased they all seem to shoot well ,no flyer's .

nubo